netburst

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Hi guys,
I read somewhere that the psu can be turned on by joining one of the 2 pins in the 24 pin array block to test weather the PSU is working or not... Any ideas which 2 pins are these???
Cheers

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
erm on my hiper i repaired (just the fan, not the power circuit), 14=blue, 15=black and 16=green, which from the manual is: -12V, COM (0V /GND i'm thinking), and PS_ON#. Its 24-pin too.

which would mean in this case, you short 15 & 16?

i managed to get it to get in standby mode, but couldn't get it to power on. the fans just "blipped" and nothing else, there is another connection called PWR_ON, but i never got round to testing as i was only on my lunch break! :D

i can't remember which pins i shorted( most likely PS_ON# and COM, but don't quote me) but i made sure, by reading the pin outs in the manual, and checking what voltage was on the pins with a multimeter , that i wasn't shorting a supply rail.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
You'll have to to draw some power from the PSU in order for it to stay powered on. Just connect a CD ROM drive and then it should work...

Edit deleted

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
got it, CD-ROM on output, fans power up, CD-ROM Ejects when pressed.

good enough for me.

found out that PS_ON# & COM shorted and PWR_ON & PS_ON# work both the same......found that COM to PWR_ON with a voltmeter is 0V....odd, perhaps more too it than that.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

PWR_On is pulled up by default. You should read around 5V. If not then you've pinpointed the (or a) problem...

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
hmm might have to double check that.

if its pulled up, should it not be low anyway in order to be dragged to a higher voltage?

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
No it's 5V high and it's going 0V once you connect it to gnd...

(btw; last transmission tonight. I'm in europe and it's getting late... I'll check back in about 10 hrs on the thread, and I'll be ready to experiment a lot more tomorrow...)

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Well I DID some experimenting today. I took my old PSU and converted it to a "lab" power supply. +5 -5 +12 -12 +3.3 and GND are now accessible via plugs. This gives a wide range of possible voltages. To turn it on I connected GND and the Green power_on wire to a switch. As power_OK indicator I use a LED connected to the grey Power_OK line (5V high), 220 resistor to GND. What I found out however is that most PSU's need a load to stay powered on. Usually a load on the 5V rail will be enough. For that purpose I use a 10 Ohm 17W resistor between 5V and GND. You should use (little bit of calculation) at least a 10W resistor. I mounted the resistor (which is pretty big) to the metal casing in front of the fan. IT doesn't get too hot like that. For a little gadget you could use the purple "standby" chord to indicate that you're turned off...

HOWEVER: that is pretty dangerous tinkering. Before you open a PSU you should be aware that the capacities inside will most probably still be charged and they can provide a strong and dangerous shock. Furthermore I would suggest to use fuses at least on the GND. 1A at most. But it would be better to use fuses on all connections. A short without any fuse between random rails would be pretty "hot". Especially with high power PSU's.

You see; our discussion yesterday has inspired me quite a bit:)

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
good work.

Bit of over kill with the 10OHM resistor. 17W is a lot when 10ohms on 5v is only putting out 2.5watts.

but if thats all you had kicking around, then fair play.