Sign in with
Your question

No default drivers on install

Last response: in Windows XP
February 2, 2010 8:32:15 AM

Hi,

I've got an urgent and, well, rather weird problem.

I've got three exactly the same computers (HP and also all the components are identical). They came with new, unformatted, HD's. When I got them I formatted the HD's and installed Windows XP Professional (no SP) and everything worked fine.

I now wanted to make a fresh start, so I formatted the HD's once again and installed Windows XP Professional (SP3). After this install I noticed that a number of devices weren't working. I checked the device manager and saw the audio device, ethernet port and video controller in the list, but with a yellow exclamation mark. It saw the devices, but it didn't install the drivers.

Then I tried a format/re-install again, but this time with the XP Pro (No SP), which initially worked fine. The same problem occurred. Next I moved that PC to one side and picked up the second one. Again, format/re-install (with the SP3 XP version) and the same thing happened there as well! So I've got the same bizarre problem now on two separate PC's.

I have now tried a 'repair install', but that didn't help either.

This is rather urgent as I need these PC's up and running as soon as possible.

Has anybody heard about this problem before and nows of a solution?

(I can't get them from the internet because the ethernet port is one of the non-working devices. Also the USB controller isn't working as it should, so using a dongle for wireless is not an option either.)

Thanks!

--=RojanUK=--
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 9:27:14 AM

Audio device, ethernet port and video controller!

All the three mentioned by you are manufacturer specific and windows didn't have any default drivers for them.

To solve this

1. With the specification of those components (Make & Model No.) you have search the manufacturer's site for Latest drivers w.r.to your OS (Win XP SP3).

2. If it is a HP OEM system, then you would have got DRIVERS & UTILITIES cd with the system. Using that you can solve your problem

Re installing/ re-formatting "n" no. of times won't solve this problem. It may lead to a hard drive crash.

P.S: First time when you installed XP, you might have installed drivers and you might have forgot that installation now :) .

May be Selective Amnesia :) . Just Kidding.
February 2, 2010 9:57:49 AM

Could be... *grin*

No, in fact, I know exactly what I did the very first installation and the Windows installation simply installed the default drivers for the audio device, the ethernet controller and the video driver. And that is how it should be, as we're talking about devices that are on the motherboard. I could then access the internet to find specific upgraded drivers if I so wished to do so.

I have NEVER seen this before, that windows doesn't install any default generic drivers, if it doesn't have the specific driver on the disk.

I have attempted to download the drivers for the components of the HP website -- specifically for the d530 which these machines are -- but I've only been succesful in installing the video driver. That is now solved. However I've attempted the several drivers for the audio and the ethernet controller, none of them work. And for the audio I've tried every single available driver to no avail.

It is funny however that when you try to install the audio driver, it says that it can't because it can't find the driver on the system. Hows that for a paradox! *lol*

Anyway, I've tried that and it didn't work. And I never had to do it with the first install long time ago.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 10:15:02 AM

OK. Then it was a miracle happened to you :) 

if you know the make of Ethernet controller/Audio chip manufacturer you can download the latest driver directly from their website (Not from HP).

For Audio : Soundmax -Digital AC97..

For Ethernet: Broadcom.

Have you tried these??
February 2, 2010 10:38:12 AM

I had tried the equivalents on the HP web site, but not from the site you referred to. I've downloaded them and tried them. The ethernet is now working. The audio still isn't. During installation it says: "Can't find driver. Reboot the system and run this setup again". Which, as you can guess, makes no difference...

We're getting there though. Two down, one to go! ;) 
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 10:40:45 AM

Could you able to get your Audio Chip make & model??
Are you Sure it is Soundmax Digital-Ac97??
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 10:44:05 AM

Don't you have HP OEM Driver CD came with the system??
If it is there means, piece of cake..
February 2, 2010 10:47:54 AM

I don't know any better than that it is the SoundMAX AC'97. That's what it said in the working installation. And no, these PC's came without installation discs, so that's not an option I'm afraid...
February 2, 2010 11:07:16 AM

Right. I've also installed the chipset upgrade from the HP web site. And have tried your link to the SoundMax download again. No dice.... :( 
February 2, 2010 11:29:59 AM

I've tried them all now. None of them work.
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 11:37:03 AM

SoundMAX AD 1981B

This is the Audio CHIP Info in your build.

You can also try some attempts using This!
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 12:05:04 PM

Try installing drivers in safe mode! Some times it may work
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 12:15:00 PM

Try to install this first KB888111.exe and try installing drivers after that!
February 2, 2010 12:22:02 PM

saran008 said:
Try to install this first KB888111.exe and try installing drivers after that!

It says that the Service Pack is newer than the file I'm installing and there's no need to install this update.

(Windows XP Professional SP3)
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 12:23:09 PM

oh...
have tried installing in safe mode??
What happened to other drivers??
February 2, 2010 12:27:38 PM

None of them work. As it's not an HD audio card (or port on the motherboard) they didn't even start installing. Was presented with an error telling me it wasn't an HD card and done.

No I haven't tried in safe mode, because the message is that the update that I'm trying to install -- kb888111.exe -- is unnecessary, because it's already included in SP3. That won't change under safe mode...
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 12:33:50 PM

Have you tried drivers from hot-drivers & open drivers??

No I said try installing the drivers in safe mode!

Do one more thing! Go to your CMOS Settings, and check for Restore to Factory defaults/ Fail safe defaults and restart and check what happens.

Make sure you remember the settings, if you have changed anything from default..

February 2, 2010 2:21:49 PM

I've installed DriverMax, which is indeed a great program, but I've found out that those programs look for upgrades of the drivers that are already installed. Obviously the audio driver isn't installed and thus it won't look for an update either... :( 
February 2, 2010 8:29:35 PM

I thought you might like to know, I've finally managed to find a driver that did indeed install. The filename is sp24465.exe and can be found here:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driver...

I don't know what causes the problem in the first place, as it shouldn't happen. Like I said before, Windows should install default drivers so that you at least can use the devices to upgrade, but with the three found drivers I can at least make everything work properly.

Thanks for all your help saran. It's very much appreciated!
a b \ Driver
February 2, 2010 11:52:13 PM

Happy to see your problem solved! :) 

If you find my Answers helpful, please select any one as BEST ANSWER Please. :) 

Your are always welcome here with any system problems. :) 
February 3, 2010 10:43:55 AM

One problem goes away, the next one presents itself and as it's still about the default drivers, I'm just continuing in this thread.

I had managed to install Windows XP and install the needed drivers for the on-board devices. This worked! I then went to add additional cards to the system. 1 PC's have an extra PCI sound card and the third has both an extra PCI sound card as an EXTRA AGP graphics card.

The problem is the same for all machines and all devices. The moment you put an add-on card in the machine, it seems to overwrite the on-board devices that were already installed. However I want both the on-board devices to work as the add-on devices at the same time.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Thanks again!
!