SMART event error

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Western Digital
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2007 11:07:25 PM

I am running 2 WD caviar 320MB in Raid 0 on ICH9R. It's a new build that's been running perfectly for about 1 month. The intel matrix storage manager started reporting a SMART event on one of the drives. It is indicating "A hard drive has reported that it might fail".

HD Temps are fine and there are no unusual noises or vibration. Windows XP and all programs seem to running normal. WD diagnostics utility is pretty much useless.

Is this an erroneous error? Should I be worried about it?

More about : smart event error

October 25, 2007 8:05:22 PM

If this happened to me, I would certainly be worried about it. The first thing I'd do is back up my data. SMART events are not guarantees of failure, and drives can live for a very long time after a SMART event. That said, statistically speaking, after a SMART even has occurred on a drive, the likelihood of failure in the next couple months shoots up.

Now, given that you are running a RAID0, I'm assuming that speed/ performance is your main goal, even at the cost of reliability. If you wanted reliability, you'd be running RAID1, RAID5, or RAID10.
a c 160 G Storage
October 25, 2007 8:36:35 PM

Check the cables.....

There is no way to check each drive other then taking them apart....

Does it say what event it is reporting?
Related resources
October 25, 2007 11:47:11 PM

speed and storage space are important. i like the speed of raid 0 and i dont lose an entire drive of storage space. (gaming and video storage are primary uses).

the intel matrix storage manager simply states that there is a smart event. the WD diagnostic tool indicates there is a smart warning, but won't give details - i suspect this is because the drive is in raid.

my data is all backed up on an eSata drive.

good idea to check the cables - i will swap the cables and if the port that is reporting the smart event changes, then its likely a bad cable.

if not, i will pick up Acronys on the weekend and take an image of the o/s partition. (yes- i partitioned the drive c: 100 GB for o/s & apps, d: for data). not sure how difficult it is to restore an acronys image to a raid set though.

here's an interesting question - the drive is under warranty, but can i exchange it due to a smart event, or do i have to wait until it actually fails to return it?
October 26, 2007 12:22:35 AM

Try posting the SMART diagnostics report, and someone may be able to assist you.
a c 160 G Storage
October 26, 2007 7:45:03 AM

With the drive in RAID. you can not get a report. Thats why you have to trust the the matrix storage manager will warn you in time.

On post does it say the drive's smart status is OK?

I have not found any disk image software that works with raid....

If its real bad it should show up on post(it will flag the drive in red as opposed to the normal green, I have had it)

so the error you get is in here? under status?

a b G Storage
October 26, 2007 9:24:25 AM

Regardless send that drive away for warranty, SMART (internal monitoring) picks up things like delayed/faulty spin up events, replaced sectors etc - dont risk it.
October 26, 2007 11:35:38 AM

merp said:
speed and storage space are important. i like the speed of raid 0 and i dont lose an entire drive of storage space. (gaming and video storage are primary uses).

the intel matrix storage manager simply states that there is a smart event. the WD diagnostic tool indicates there is a smart warning, but won't give details - i suspect this is because the drive is in raid.

my data is all backed up on an eSata drive.

good idea to check the cables - i will swap the cables and if the port that is reporting the smart event changes, then its likely a bad cable.

if not, i will pick up Acronys on the weekend and take an image of the o/s partition. (yes- i partitioned the drive c: 100 GB for o/s & apps, d: for data). not sure how difficult it is to restore an acronys image to a raid set though.

here's an interesting question - the drive is under warranty, but can i exchange it due to a smart event, or do i have to wait until it actually fails to return it?

WD used to offer a tool on their website to check your discs. The nice part about it is, if it detects a failure it allows you print a RMA form.
a b G Storage
October 26, 2007 11:42:20 AM

Run at least 2 SMART tests from different software, like Speedfan and the Bios.
I had a program tell me that all my hard disk were bad. Another program did not detect any faults in my hard drives.
October 29, 2007 12:13:30 AM

Check your Windows event log. I believe there should be one or more events in there that should have the raw SMART data.
!