Death to the Ultra!!!

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Please enlighten me on why the G92 is labeled as the 9800 series? Im not saying it isn't or that it is, but I'd like to know where are you getting your the information that serves as the base for this speculation. Please don't tell me it's the xbit labs post or another inquirer article...

Sorry but Im just SO tired of seeing similar posts about the "9800" when people really know nothing of nothing. For all we know it could be a refresh, but it could also be a new series, it could also mercilessly crush 8800GTX SLI or it could barely outperform a single 8800 GTX but using less power and a smaller process. Meaning, we know nothing.

Not really. The high-end video card market is made of what, 1% of all people who buy PCs? For example if you step into a BestBuy today and count the PCs with an 8800 GTX you will find that there are none at all. Count them twice, still zero :) The big money is made in the mainstream area, i.e. video cards that cost $50 to $200 or somewhere in that area. AMD is actually doing a very intelligent thing focusing on that area. The drawback of course is that the enthusiasts have to go with nVidia and they start posting end-of-the-world messages. Don't worry, AMD will not die just because of the 9800 GTX. It will just lose a bit of face, that's all.

Word!

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007

Who knows if this is true or not, thus the salt to be taken. You have not questioned anything that has not already been questioned. The main point of the article to me was that the cores are being tapped out. So, the benchmarks MAY be coming out soon. Only NVIDIA knows why they would name it the g92 and not the g90.

I like this stuff cause for a little while now; they have been fairly close to the truth. After taking in a ton or so of slat, I would like to think there is some snippet of truth in this.

I too am a little confused as to why it might be called '9800' with a 'G92' surely 'G90' would be more in keeping with the way the last series was labelled. :??:

Does it really matter? Is "Conroe" or "Penryn" or "Agena" a more useful name than "G92" for example, does it add any value? Conroe is a small tourist resort near some lake, and Penryn I have no clue. Agena I believe is some star. I think they choose the internal code names at random. My former employer was naming its software releases after Canada's national parks, for example.

I just get confused easy, it's my age don't you know. [:mousemonkey:7]

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Let's see? 1% of 5 million PC's is is 50,000 8800's at average price of $529 is $26,450,000. Hell I guess they wouldn't be interested in the high end market.

Well, compared with their $611 million loss in just 3 months it's not such a huge number. True, $26.5M is more than you or I make in a week, but AMD loses more than that in a week.

Think of it this way: 30 cards at $200 each, with a $40 profit each, means 6000 revenue and 1200 profit. One card at $529, with $300 profit, is nice but less important.

Look, I don't know if that's how they think. I hope that's how they think. If this is not the right explanation, then the other explanation I can imagine is that they've gone nuts. That would really be bad for everybody so I prefer not to think of it :)

J3EBS

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Penryn is a town in the Cornwall district of England, lying on the Penryn river. The clues that helped me with this are that a while back I heard that Intel was naming these classes under bodies of water.
Now back to technology. Rumor has it that DX10.1 is going to be released soon, with the added feature of tesselation. Some claim that this is when the 2900XTs will shine because they were designed for this or some such nonsense. I'm not hating on either company. Personally I'm going with a Crossfire setup of the 1GB 2900XT (will wait till October though, just in case) although if there's a massive uproar over the G92 being the new king of the hill, then I'm sure I can do with one GPU.
We all remember that AMD is working on Fusion, right? The integration of a CPU and GPU into one motherboard, or something similar? That would be a MASSIVE change in the industry, because then the days of 1 kW PSUs is gone.
Anyways, I'll get back to research on parts.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
The middle ground is a lot larger than what most people realize.

School computer labs and business offices buying dozens, hundreds, even thousands or 10's of thousands of computers at a single pop. Every one of those computers loaded with 128 mb graphics cards because that is what MS recommends for Vista.

The middle ground is proven technology. The parts are incredibly reliable and since the silicon is just a generation or two behind the bleeding edge, the cost of production is relatively inexpensive.

A win-win situation.

I can't blame anybody for chasing the middle ground as there is a lot of middle ground to cover and profits to be made.

J3EBS

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Edit post: used plural in the beginning of sentence #2 for a unit of information. Sorry, it's been a long day.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007

The 9800gtx is targetet to be at least 2x more powerfull then the ultra. And it is catchy!