Sign in with
Your question

upgrade question (I know... not another one)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2007 6:51:43 PM

First time poster, long time reader. As I am sure someone has asked something similar, I didn't notice one so sorry in advance. Well anyway my computer is AGP(AIW X800XT) with AMD3500(939), I would like to upgrade to be able to play the new games coming out that require SmartShader3.0 and DX9.0c. I don't want to upgrade my entire system, as it is quite fast now, I can play DMoMM and FEAR at max/near max settings at 1280x1024. Now I know new games will be more demanding obviously, but I probably wont play at any higher resolution, because I just have a CRT. So the question is:
Should I just get a better AGP card like a X1950Pro or XT if I can find one, or upgrade to a cheap 939 socket PCIe mobo so I can keep my 2GB of ram and cpu and get a more powerful card like a 8800gts 320 version? Would the X1950pro or XT be a noticeable improvement, I don't really want to go to the trouble without noticeable improvement, as for the 8800gts 320, would my cpu be to slow for it to reach full potential? I am only wanting to spend around $500 or less, preferably much less. Thanks for your input.

More about : upgrade question

August 16, 2007 1:18:56 AM

Well, It depends. How long do you want this system to last? What psu do you have currently? A 1950 pro/xt wouldent really be worth it for an agp system, and if your going to upgrade to a pcie one would your your psu be up to it? If you had to buy a new psu, mobo, and videocard you should concider switching to an am2/ core 2 duo cpu and buying ddr2 ram. the 1950 series can cost alot,lot more them the pcie version. The 1950xt is $260 when the pcie 1950xt is 160. With that extra $100 you could even buy a cheap mobo. If you where to follow the path of buying a pcie card and mobo I would Highly recommend just building a new system.
August 16, 2007 1:19:07 AM

Well, It depends. How long do you want this system to last? What psu do you have currently? A 1950 pro/xt wouldent really be worth it for an agp system, and if your going to upgrade to a pcie one would your your psu be up to it? If you had to buy a new psu, mobo, and videocard you should concider switching to an am2/ core 2 duo cpu and buying ddr2 ram. the 1950 series can cost alot,lot more them the pcie version. The 1950xt is $260 when the pcie 1950xt is 160. With that extra $100 you could even buy a cheap mobo. If you where to follow the path of buying a pcie card and mobo I would Highly recommend just building a new system.
August 16, 2007 1:39:15 AM

Yup, it's more expensive to upgrade in steps and you end up with lower performance too. First of all, to get ShaderModel 3.0 you need a new video card. You can't fix that with a new CPU or mobo. If you have to use AGP, that means the video card is more expensive than its PCI-E version, and it may even be slower (especially if you have AGP 4x). Also, you'd need a new PSU. Also, the old CPU may bottleneck the video card. You end up replacing everything except the motherboard, and still stuck with AGP.

How much would this cost where you live?
GA-P35-S3L, X1950XT (PCI-E version), Corsair 520HX, E6550
I think it's under $600 at newegg. Another $100 to get 8800 GTS 320 instead of x1950xt, maybe.

!