tm1776

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Hi. I was just wondering something about VLANS. I was reading a bit about them and from what I gather they are efficient and less wasteful of resources than not using VLANS. Are there certain types of VLANS? I am interested in the type that will not communicate directly with other VLANS, but only hosts on the same VLAN. As in, all the hosts connected to one VLAN can talk to each other, send broadcasts, etc. but stations will not be able to talk to hosts on another VLAN.

I would assume the advantages of this is that it can cut down on network traffic due to less ARP messages, broadcasts, etc. but I actually havn't a clue to be honest. Yes, this is a homework question (more like an Exam question that I have tomorrow) but I have tried my best to answer it and just need a little further help. The question is;

"VLANS can seperate traffic logically within a switch so stations on one VLAN can not communicate directly with stations on another. Explain what advantages this can bring and by means of a diagaram how networks requiring limited connectivity between logical networks can be implemented with and without VLANS"

sturm

Splendid
Youre right so far. VLANS restrict broadcasts to that vlan only. You can also restrict what vlans can communicate with other vlans thus improving security. You could set up a guest vlan that only allowed internet access. A phone vlan for IP phones only. Seperate departments, buildings, floors, or even individual computers into their own little networks.
Good luck on your exam.