Which mother board shall i pick ASUS os MSI???

DANthirty

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Hi Guys

I have got a guy making me a pc and he has given me the option of these two motherboards, the ASUS P5K or the MSI NEO 2-FR i have read some good reviews on the asus but cant find any reviews on the msi one only the spec of it realy,
so i was wondering if any of you guys had any experience or views on these two boards?

cheers Dan

heres a link to them:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1261&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=0&model=1637&modelmenu=1

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Asus 8 days of the week

I have 6 Asus mainboards and love em all... one happens to be the P5K-E deluxe which i got running with a Q6600 ATM good board recommended

pesh

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Yeah, ASUS ftw. I personally am using an Abit atm, but have delt with a few ASUS boards. I have also used a few MSI boards and ASUS was just simply easier to deal with.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I have built with -alot- of Asus but never even 1 MSI.
If it was up to me however (I OC everything for gamers) I would get a DFI.
If you just plan on internet and applications go for which is cheaper (Ausus/MSI) as it won't matter.

If your not into OC'ing go with the Asus...but all of the ones I built with died from bad caps around the 3 year mark.
DFI uses better caps as well as winning the worlds OC contests held for all MB's in Taiwan for the past few years.

Z

EDIT: Make sure your getting a real PSU with this build like a PC Power & Cooling unit if building a high end machine.
Check my personal build (18 months old). It runs only 3C over room temps on air with a 50% OC and everything @ stock volts. Only hits 12C over room temps after an hour of Prime benchmarking.

DANthirty

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Hi all

thanks for your opinions, the pc is going to be used for gaming here is the spec for it:
ASUS P5K motherboard supporting 1333 MHZ FSB, not sure yet????

4 x 1 GB Corsair XMS Pro 2 DDR2 800Mhz RAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
2 x 300GB HD,s in Raid 0
Corsair modular 620 w PSU
8800GTX - unbranded OEM card from our supplier
Antec P182 Case
DVDRW - normaly Samsung/LiteOn or Sony - depends on what we have on the shelf from our suppliers at the time of build
Windows Vista Premium 64Bit

what do you guys reckon?

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I'm somewhat new to the building scene (a little over a year's experience), but I'm to the point that I'll probably never use Asus again. I've used 3 Asus boards, and all 3 have had problems. Their quality's gone downhill, by far. Bad BIOS chip on one, bad cpu temp readings on another, dead network card on the newest...all-around bad quality, or just really bad luck. Either way, I'm looking elsewhere for my next build...probably towards Gigabyte.

I got a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R after reading tons of reviews on all sorts of motherboards. Very happy with it.

MSI had some good reviews and some bad ones too. It depends on the model, I guess.

OP: I find it a bit suspicious that this guy only offers Asus and MSI. Any idea why? Can you just buy a motherboard yourself and let him use it in your build?

DANthirty

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
no i can use any motherboard i like, he just has to order it, as i have already changed a few components already to what i wanted, they were just the 2 that were mentioned between him and i.

N@n0

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
DFI!?!? GIGABYTE?!?!?! Come on guys who have been the leading mobo manufacturer for a long time now? and who owns Gigabyte? Go for the Asus you won't ever regret it!

[Make sure your getting a real PSU with this build like a PC Power & Cooling unit if building a high end machine.]
Words to live by, 50% of the time that is what is causing strange problems and power cut outs, you are putting a big power thirsty graphics card in….

Good luck with your build, hope you make the RIGHT choice (ASUS!!!)

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003

Asus don't own Gigabyte.

& biggest doesn't always mean best.
In Asus case it means the dearest retail mobos for the features that you get.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
i would recommend asus because they are all created equally, even though i have an msi board and it flies and was cheap, i have seen far too many problems with them.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Zolddude and I agree. Get a DFI if you intend to do anything more than casual browsing. Asus is overpriced and under performing recently. Get 4Ryan's opinion.... (but stand back... The flames might get a bit warm)

MSI's reputation of late seems to be improving, but personally I have no experience with them.