Sign in with
Your question

Which mother board shall i pick ASUS os MSI???

Last response: in Motherboards
August 16, 2007 8:38:09 PM

Hi Guys

I have got a guy making me a pc and he has given me the option of these two motherboards, the ASUS P5K or the MSI NEO 2-FR i have read some good reviews on the asus but cant find any reviews on the msi one only the spec of it realy,
so i was wondering if any of you guys had any experience or views on these two boards?

cheers Dan

heres a link to them:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_n...

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=...
August 16, 2007 11:39:52 PM

Asus 8 days of the week

I have 6 Asus mainboards and love em all... one happens to be the P5K-E deluxe which i got running with a Q6600 ATM good board recommended
August 17, 2007 12:30:25 AM

Yeah, ASUS ftw. I personally am using an Abit atm, but have delt with a few ASUS boards. I have also used a few MSI boards and ASUS was just simply easier to deal with.
Related resources
August 17, 2007 12:58:52 AM

I have built with -alot- of Asus but never even 1 MSI.
If it was up to me however (I OC everything for gamers) I would get a DFI.
If you just plan on internet and applications go for which is cheaper (Ausus/MSI) as it won't matter.

If your not into OC'ing go with the Asus...but all of the ones I built with died from bad caps around the 3 year mark.
DFI uses better caps as well as winning the worlds OC contests held for all MB's in Taiwan for the past few years.

Z

EDIT: Make sure your getting a real PSU with this build like a PC Power & Cooling unit if building a high end machine.
Check my personal build (18 months old). It runs only 3C over room temps on air with a 50% OC and everything @ stock volts. Only hits 12C over room temps after an hour of Prime benchmarking.
August 17, 2007 12:34:29 PM

Hi all

thanks for your opinions, the pc is going to be used for gaming here is the spec for it:
ASUS P5K motherboard supporting 1333 MHZ FSB, not sure yet????

4 x 1 GB Corsair XMS Pro 2 DDR2 800Mhz RAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
2 x 300GB HD,s in Raid 0
Corsair modular 620 w PSU
8800GTX - unbranded OEM card from our supplier
Antec P182 Case
DVDRW - normaly Samsung/LiteOn or Sony - depends on what we have on the shelf from our suppliers at the time of build
Windows Vista Premium 64Bit

what do you guys reckon?
August 17, 2007 2:15:38 PM

I'm somewhat new to the building scene (a little over a year's experience), but I'm to the point that I'll probably never use Asus again. I've used 3 Asus boards, and all 3 have had problems. Their quality's gone downhill, by far. Bad BIOS chip on one, bad cpu temp readings on another, dead network card on the newest...all-around bad quality, or just really bad luck. Either way, I'm looking elsewhere for my next build...probably towards Gigabyte.
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2007 2:35:36 PM

I got a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R after reading tons of reviews on all sorts of motherboards. Very happy with it.

MSI had some good reviews and some bad ones too. It depends on the model, I guess.

OP: I find it a bit suspicious that this guy only offers Asus and MSI. Any idea why? Can you just buy a motherboard yourself and let him use it in your build?

August 17, 2007 2:59:07 PM

no i can use any motherboard i like, he just has to order it, as i have already changed a few components already to what i wanted, they were just the 2 that were mentioned between him and i.
August 17, 2007 3:04:00 PM

DFI!?!? GIGABYTE?!?!?! Come on guys who have been the leading mobo manufacturer for a long time now? and who owns Gigabyte? Go for the Asus you won't ever regret it!

[Make sure your getting a real PSU with this build like a PC Power & Cooling unit if building a high end machine.]
Words to live by, 50% of the time that is what is causing strange problems and power cut outs, you are putting a big power thirsty graphics card in….

Good luck with your build, hope you make the RIGHT choice (ASUS!!!)
August 19, 2007 8:30:15 AM

N@n0 said:
DFI!?!? GIGABYTE?!?!?! Come on guys who have been the leading mobo manufacturer for a long time now? and who owns Gigabyte? Go for the Asus you won't ever regret it!

Asus don't own Gigabyte.

& biggest doesn't always mean best.
In Asus case it means the dearest retail mobos for the features that you get.
August 19, 2007 9:22:48 AM

i would recommend asus because they are all created equally, even though i have an msi board and it flies and was cheap, i have seen far too many problems with them.
August 19, 2007 10:33:15 AM

DANthirty said:
Hi Guys

I have got a guy making me a pc and he has given me the option of these two motherboards, the ASUS P5K or the MSI NEO 2-FR i have read some good reviews on the asus but cant find any reviews on the msi one only the spec of it realy,
so i was wondering if any of you guys had any experience or views on these two boards?

cheers Dan

heres a link to them:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_n... no=1&cat2_no=170

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=534&l4=... odel=1637&modelmenu=1

Zolddude and I agree. Get a DFI if you intend to do anything more than casual browsing. Asus is overpriced and under performing recently. Get 4Ryan's opinion.... (but stand back... The flames might get a bit warm)

MSI's reputation of late seems to be improving, but personally I have no experience with them.
!