PSU that works yet doesn't

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well I have a problem with my PSU. I have fixed the problem by replacing the PSU but why I had a problem is bugging me and want to know if anyone might have an explanation for me.

So this was the problem. Lately my PC sometimes just wouldn't turn on like it was unplugged or something but after wiggling the 24pin mobo connector or unplugging and replugging it I would get my PC to turn on. It got worse over time and then I got out my volt meter to test the PSU. I tested it many times over the course of a month and every time i got rock solid readings on all lines.

I was beginning to think maybe my mobo or cpu was about to give out on me, and I wasn't too happy about that. Then one day it died on me, no amount of unplug replug wiggle would work. I got it out to the bench and just took everything out even the mobo out of the case. First i looked at the mobo to see if i had a bad cap or it shorted somewhere, found nothing.

I keep looking, heck i even try shorting the power switch headers myself just to eliminate the power switch on the case as the problem. I still have no luck. I even get a paper clip to turn on the PSU when nothing is plugged in and test it, still good.

At this point i was thinking it had to be my mobo or cpu was cooked, but not looking forward to spending the money to build a new pc I try one last ditch effort. I get my cheap a$$ PSU that came with my case out and decide what the hell hook it up. What do you know it worked.

Well after about an hour of saying WTF I just decide to go with a working PC and not care about how its working. Its been about a week now and this non working yet perfectly working 600+ watt power supply that cost me 150 bucks when I got it is nagging me, I need to know why it works fine yet doesn't work.

So this is the thing in a nut shell. The PSU works fine when it decides to work hooked up to the computer but sometimes its just dead. If I short the green wire when its not hooked up it turns on and works just fine. I have noticed one thing, when it is hooked up to the mobo, I do hear a faint click...click....click it does this at about a one second interval sort of like a bomb is ticking inside it.

So if anyone has any sort of explanation for this I'd like to know cuz its bugging the hell out of me. I would just send the PSU back but I don't think they can do anything because technically it works fine nothings wrong. It is an Aspire PSU 620w or 640w other than that I don't remember anything else but i could find the model number I still have the box just gotta dig it up

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
its a ah heck when that happens, works there but not when you want it to!

All the pins looking uniform and secure?

could be a loose connection inside the PSU......unlikely but possible.

it'll probably be something anal like an uncrimped wire or something.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Yeah its got to be something stupid like that. One thing I am going to try is find out what volts are supposed to be running on every one of the 24 pins, there are some odd voltages on some of those wires. Maybe one of those has gone off somehow.

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
three main voltages to lookout for:
■5V
■12V
■3.3V

be sure you find a 0V rail to measure off.

happy hunting.