Running a single drive on a raid controller

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
I'm currently running 2 RAID0 arrays on my system (1 array for boot, 1 array for data). As you can see in my sig, i have 2x36gb raptors for my boot array. These drives are getting a bit dated, and i want to increase the size of my boot partition. 2x150gb raptors in RAID0 would be a nice replacement, but i don't really need a 300gb boot partition, and i want to avoid making multiple partitions on the array. So i've though of this idea, but i'm not sure it will work. If anyone could please chime in to let me know if this will work before i acutallly buy the parts, thanks in advance:

1x150gb Raptor (boot drive)
2x500gb seagates (data array 1)
2x300gb western digital (data array 2)

I am currently running an Asus P5B Deluxe, which uses the ICH8 chip for the raid controller. I want to know if it's possible to run a varied single drive/raid configuration on the same controller? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rockchalk

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Absolutely-- you'll have no problems with this setup. As I'm sure you're aware, you won't get the performance increases on your boot drive since it's not a RAID0.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
thanks for the reply, i figure that i'll be plenty happy with the 150gb raptor drive performance-wise. if i'm not, i guess, i'll just buy another one and create another array...=)