Where did the eyecandy go?

I usually select "adjust for best performance" in control panel to speed things up. The other day I had to run PCMark06 and it told me to select "adjust for best appearance" in order to run the test properly, so I did that. To my surprise, when I select it, and click apply, nothing happens. Windows still look exactly the same, I get none of XP's visual effects.
Now I am not particularly interested in XP's eyecandy, but I am kind of concerned about what's going on with my computer. Is this a virus or video card issue or windows issue?
3 answers Last reply
More about where eyecandy
  1. You have to enable XP's default theme to get the "eyecandy". If you've selected Windows Classic as your theme, you won't notice a lot of difference.
  2. When I go change theme, the only ones listed are:
    - current theme
    - modified theme
    - classic theme

There is no option for Windows XP Default. Could I have accidentally deleted it?
  3. When you select either of the two other than Classic, you should see a preview of the desktop that will indicate whether or not all the display features are enabled. If it shows a green Start button, then you know that you have the correct theme selected. If it shows a Start button similar to Win 9x / 2000, then the Classic theme is still enabled.

You may also have to go to the Appearance tab and make sure that Windows Classic style isn't selected under Windows and buttons.
Ask a new question

Read More

Control Panel Windows XP