Sign in with
Your question

Problems with Samsung 500GB

Last response: in Storage
October 26, 2007 5:56:16 PM

I've installed a Samsung HD501LJ 500GB that is not working the way it should. The hard disk is detected in bios and when Windows booted the first time with it, it detected it like it should.

When I was going to format the hard disk after creating a partition the problems started. Both Partition Magic and the built-in Windows disk manager starts formating very slowly and after a few % the process is stopped and an error is displayed. After a couple of tries (all with error messages) the disk looks formatted and I can create folders and stuff on it but when I start copying files to it, it first copies very slowly and finally the disk is disconnected like when I would remove a usb-device. After that the computer freezes every 20 seconds for about 10 seconds until I reboot the computer.

The motherboard is an Asus A8V-X and I've tried switching SATA-cable as well as psu cable without any success. I've tried running scandisk and analyzing the disk in Diskkeeper and they say it's ok.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

More about : problems samsung 500gb

October 26, 2007 10:29:25 PM

Try running the Samsung dianostic/repair software. Could use Partition Magic to merger the partitions and try formatting it.
October 26, 2007 11:02:43 PM

I tried running HUtil (util i found at samsungs website) and the disk stops responding after going through a few options in the utility. I read in the small manual that you get with the drive that some motherboards may have problems with SATA 3.0Gb/s so I tried flashing the disk to run on SATA 1.5Gb/s instead. I flashed according to the instructions but it seems like it didn't help. I used this to flash it: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b...
Related resources
October 26, 2007 11:33:21 PM

Most SATA drives have jumper settings that sometime need to be changed to run a 3.0 on a 1.5 connector. Did your mobo come with a Floppy with SATA drivers?
October 26, 2007 11:50:40 PM

I have another Samsung drive (250GB) in my computer and it has the jumper set to run at SATA 1.5 since it wouldn't detect in bios with 3.0.

The new 500GB one does not have a jumper for 1.5 for some reason. The manual says to download a utility from their website in order to change the drive to 1.5. Their website is however not that great so the only one I found was the one above and it seems like its not the right one.. I found a post in another forum where they had the same problem and they where unable to find the right utility on the website.

Don't think driver will help since I'm having problems with the disk in DOS as well (when running the Samsung test utility).
October 27, 2007 12:13:40 PM

I looked at that page as well. All links point to the HUtil program that I tried. It won't let me set the SATA 1.5gb/s option. I found the other utility in the FAQ-section.

I've e-mailed Samsung about where to find the right utility so we'll see what they say.
October 27, 2007 1:07:52 PM

Strange, checked the online manual for that drive and it shows a jumper setting for a 1.5 connection. It's to the right of the data cable. Let us know what Samsung has to say. Looks like the proper setting is one set of pins over from the right

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200510/200...
October 27, 2007 2:24:37 PM

This is the manual I got with the hard disk: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200704/200...
It says that it has to be done using a utility.

The hard disk didn't even come with a jumper on it or in the package but I took one I had at home and tried to set it like the manual you posted stated. No luck :( 
October 27, 2007 2:35:47 PM

Be interesting to see what Samsung has to say
October 31, 2007 12:25:39 AM

Their reply was indeed interesting. Here is what they wrote me:

"Please do the firmware update at www.samsungodd.com . Please do the live update which will auto detect the unit and install the correct firmware. If after you try this and it still does not work please call 1-800-SAMSUNG"

Notice that it says samsungodd.com. That is the the website for Samsung Optical Disk Drives! Not the one for hard disk drives. Even though the question was submitted at samsungHDD.com and I entered the hard drive model along with a detailed explanation of the problem it somehow was misunderstood.

I will be sending the disk back to the store tomorrow to have it replaced with one from another brand, probably Seagate. I will also never buy a disk from Samsung again nor will I use their "support" again.
October 31, 2007 10:10:11 AM

Unfortunately, most support sites give canned answers, which looks like what you got. Kind of surprised given how they handle their monitors. Had to RMA one and one of the choices was to have it delivered to a local UPS store at no charge and take the bad monitor in and exchanged it for the new one, again no shipping. Took less than a week, which is why I now buy Samsung monitors. Also very happy with their optical drives. For hdd right now I'm sticking with Seagate, which I've had very good luck with. If you're getting a Seagate, or any other brand, suggest you download the diagnostic/repair software as well as the install software if separate from the mfg website in case you run into any installation problems. Generally, formatting the new drive prevents any install problems.

Since you're returning the drive anyway, you should try what they suggest and see what happens
November 12, 2007 10:32:39 AM

Hi All,

I have spent ages trying to find a fix for the HD501LJ drive, mine wouldnt autoneg to 1.5gb either, as I am running a A8V deluxe, and the VIA implementation is not up to date. Jumper settings do not work on this drive.

Anyway, I download SSpeed_iso.zip from here;

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b...

Burnt it onto a CD, booted from it, first Samsung drive SP1614C didnt need a speed change, so it passed, the HD501LJ could be changed down to 1.5gb, one button, and there you go, took 2 seconds.

This software can also put the speed back up, so when I get a motherboard that implements SATA properly, I wont need to force it.

I do not usually post on threads, but as I found the answer and didnt see a post relating to it, I wanted to share.

Keep up the good work everyone, always find these threads useful, even if its to tick off all the things that havent worked to date.

Cheers

Bendls
!