Sign in with
Your question

Pioneer DVR-111D - Drive Dying? - CDSpeed Results Inside

Last response: in Storage
October 26, 2007 5:57:57 PM

For the past couple of weeks I've been getting DVD-R coasters burning at the max. (16x) on my DVR-11D. They are gradually becoming more frequent. Today I had 3 in a row at 16x before dropping to 8x and being successful. Also, each failure comes at the very end of the burn in Nero. Something about cache.

I'm half-way through a 50-disc spindle, so it's not like it's the start of a bad batch of discs. Still, I'm wondering what people's opinion is on the health of the drive?

I just finished a Nero CDSpeed test and to be honest, I have no idea how to read it. I was hoping for something obvious. Write speed not getting close to 16x, but it reaches that level towards the very end. Not sure if the gradual uptick is normal. Here's a screencap:

October 26, 2007 10:25:23 PM

Given DVD burners are $30 or less at newegg, they're really no worth messing with, just get another one, sounds like yours is dying
October 26, 2007 11:06:09 PM

thats what its supposed to look like. you probably have bad media.. try a different brand.
October 27, 2007 5:38:40 AM

g-paw said:
Given DVD burners are $30 or less at newegg, they're really no worth messing with, just get another one, sounds like yours is dying

Yeah, they are pretty cheap. If this one actually dies on me then I'll pull the trigger. Thankfully I don't burn enough where 8x is much of a bother. If I have to go to 4x, then that's another story. :) 
October 27, 2007 5:40:31 AM

skittle said:
thats what its supposed to look like. you probably have bad media.. try a different brand.

Thanks for the comment. Rather than a new brand though, I'll just ride the rest of this cake out at 8x and give the next one a go at 16x. I've been using TDK for ages without issue, so if it is bad media then perhaps it's just a bad batch.
October 27, 2007 6:46:52 AM

You could also try a different burning app. Taiyo Yuden is supposed to be some of the best media so you might give it a shot.

-mcg
October 29, 2007 5:22:02 PM

MrCommunistGen said:
You could also try a different burning app. Taiyo Yuden is supposed to be some of the best media so you might give it a shot.

-mcg

Thanks for the comment, but like the media one previously, I've been using the same burning apps (and media) for years with no problem. I should've mentioned that before. So that's why my problems are probably with this specific batch of TDK media or the drive. And I really think it's the drive now...see below
October 29, 2007 5:23:42 PM

Ok, I really think the drive is about to bite it. A couple of days ago I was fine doing 8x burns on about a half dozen discs. No problem. This morning though, I want to do another burn and Alcohol 120 is telling me 4x is the only option. I go into Nero and get the same thing. Just two days ago I was getting all options from 1x to 16x.
!