Hey Bob. Does this sound familiar?"

Hi, "Hey Bob. Does this sound familiar?"

I got my "MyHD" HDTV PCI card today. I cleaned off my desk, pulled the
computer out of the closet, and took the sides off.

The Firewire card had to give way to the "MyHD", I have only 3 PCI slots and
the SCSI and the Graphics card are needed. Anyone need ISA slots? Never
used, I hate "Idiot Designed Equipment" stuff.

The "MyHD" card went in easy and I pulled the very old 2x CD reader which
was never used after a HP CD-RW drive was installed to free up the
connection to the sound card. Drivers were added and the "MyHD" software
installed with no problems. And the Quick Start Guide was missing from the
package!

When the program started it showed "NO Signal".

So I connected a pair of Rabbit Ears that I had handy.

The auto scan located almost all of the analog channels, some very week with
the endless shopping channels of course perfect.

NO HDTV Channels were discovered by the auto scan. None, Zip, Nil, Zero,
Zilch, Naught, Not A Single One.

Very disappointing.

After playing around for a bit I looked up the Channel number for KCSM, the
station that is a Must Have for me as they have turned off their analog
transmitter and I miss it a lot. There should be no reason for them not to
be at full power.

I was able to get it on channel 43. Solid, looks beautiful and I kept it on
for a few minutes trying to select a sub channel to see what was there. I
even stopped and started the "MyHD" program several times and it appeared to
be really solid. Never found the sub-channels. Note to myself: RTFM

Then it went away. I must have hit the Rabbit Ears or moved some cables that
the Rabbit Ears were near.

I could not get it back. I started moving the Rabbit Ears around to no avail
and finally gave up and tried another auto scan.

This time KNTV-DT (12) and KGO-DT (??) were discovered by the auto scan.
When I clicked on one to look at it after the auto scan was done, it was
immediately removed from the detected list. Same for the other.

Then I chose channel 43 and tried moving the Rabbit Ears around again trying
to get KCSM-DT back with no success.

Thanks for preparing me for this outcome. The "MyHD" PCI card looks and
feels just like I expected, a well made product and except for the Tuner, a
real winner.

I do expect to get much better results when I connect the VHF Yagii and the
four bay stacked UHF antenna with a pre amp on a rotator in my attic.

That may be many days away as I have to either pull some unused cables from
the attic or buy new ones. I do not know where to shop as Quement has been
gone for many years and I am not on top of the TV stuff here in Silicon
Valley anymore.

And I must be doing my Taxes.

--
Stephen H. Fischer
11 answers Last reply

    Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
> [...]
    > When I clicked on one to look at it after the auto scan was done, it was
    > immediately removed from the detected list. Same for the other.
    >
    > Then I chose channel 43 and tried moving the Rabbit Ears around again
    > trying
    > to get KCSM-DT back with no success.
    >
    > Thanks for preparing me for this outcome. The "MyHD" PCI card looks and
    > feels just like I expected, a well made product and except for the Tuner, a
    > real winner.
    >
    > I do expect to get much better results when I connect the VHF Yagii and the
    > four bay stacked UHF antenna with a pre amp on a rotator in my attic.
    >
    > That may be many days away as I have to either pull some unused cables from
    > the attic or buy new ones. I do not know where to shop as Quement has been
    > gone for many years and I am not on top of the TV stuff here in Silicon

    I wonder what results you would have gotten if you had used the proper
    indoor antenna, say a silver sensor UHF antenna, instead of VHF rabbit ears.

    --
    Matthew

    Which one do you want?

    Does the software come with a signal strength meter? It can be really
    helpful to nail down antenna placement. I use the Dvico Fusion card, it
    works great.

    --Dan

    "Stephen H. Fischer" <sfischer1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > immediately removed from the detected list. Same for the other.
    >
    > Then I chose channel 43 and tried moving the Rabbit Ears around again
    > trying
    > to get KCSM-DT back with no success.
    >
    > Thanks for preparing me for this outcome. The "MyHD" PCI card looks and
    > feels just like I expected, a well made product and except for the Tuner,
    > real winner.
    >
    > I do expect to get much better results when I connect the VHF Yagii and
    > the
    > four bay stacked UHF antenna with a pre amp on a rotator in my attic.
    >
    > That may be many days away as I have to either pull some unused cables
    > from
    > the attic or buy new ones. I do not know where to shop as Quement has been
    > gone for many years and I am not on top of the TV stuff here in Silicon

    I took the original poster's dissertation as some kind of facetious
    satire......

    For "TV Stuff" since Quement went belly-up....

    Schad Electronics http://www.schadelectronics.com/
    980 S. First St.
    San Jose
    408-275-6484

> [...]
    > immediately removed from the detected list. Same for the other.
    >
    > Then I chose channel 43 and tried moving the Rabbit Ears around again
    > trying
    > to get KCSM-DT back with no success.
    >
    > Thanks for preparing me for this outcome. The "MyHD" PCI card looks and
    > feels just like I expected, a well made product and except for the Tuner,
    > real winner.
    >
    > I do expect to get much better results when I connect the VHF Yagii and
    > the
    > four bay stacked UHF antenna with a pre amp on a rotator in my attic.
    >
    > That may be many days away as I have to either pull some unused cables
    > from
    > the attic or buy new ones. I do not know where to shop as Quement has been
    > gone for many years and I am not on top of the TV stuff here in Silicon

    Hi,

    Matthew L. Martin wrote:
    > Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

    >> So I connected a pair of Rabbit Ears that I had handy.

    > I wonder what results you would have gotten if you had used the proper
    > indoor antenna, say a silver sensor UHF antenna, instead of VHF rabbit
    > ears.

    Not much better as I continue to be unhappy even with my attic antennas.

    I have never had a "proper indoor antenna". For sets not connected to the
    attic antennas I expect them to be usable as they come from the factory.

    The test was one that compared the reception of a B&W 5" TV I purchased 35
    years ago with a single telescoping antenna.
    The analog reception of the "MyHD" PCI card was similar on VHF
    but as the B&W 5" has the UHF tuner grease gummed up I am going from memory
    as to how well it did on UHF. About what I expected on UHF for the "MyHD"
    PCI card.

    The 5" set is one that will need to be replaced and I see no hints that a
    replacement is coming. The replacement for my 1" (1.2" with supplied
    magnifier) travel TV also has no upcoming replacement.

    The analog OTA system we now have is to be replaced with a Digital System
    that clearly is only suited for use in Home Theater Systems with huge price
    tags and expensive custom antenna systems. Read that as Cable or Satellite.
    Perhaps in some locations OTA antennas can be used.

    I do not know the charter for the "alt.tv.tech.hdtv" news group or the
    "alt.video.digital-tv" but the HDTV system is the only system that is
    known to the general public as the replacement for the current OTA TV
    broadcasts. That may be the origin of the many messages about digital TV
    that some consider to be off topic in a HDTV news group. If the replacement
    system were talked about as "Digital-TV" in the real world then perhaps a
    few people here could have their news group solely for discussions of their
    high priced systems and the rest of us would be happy in the
    "alt.video.digital-tv" news group.

    That is not to change as I see it so the off-topic discussions in some
    persons view will continue and there will be few messages in the
    "alt.video.digital-tv" news group.

    The dismal (None at all) Digital TV reception with the Rabbit Ears antenna
    shows that we have a huge set of replacement TV's that currently have no
    replacement possible.

    While many people are quite happy with their expensive wide screen TV's
    connected to Cable or Satellite antenna systems, we are not building a new
    system for their use only.

    I have said the heck with taxes and moved my PC with the "MyHD" closer to
    the antenna connections so I could try it with my attic antennas. It did
    much better, but far from what I would consider acceptable. So even for the
    TV sets and VCR's connected to my attic antenna system there is only a
    marginal replacement system being built.

    The "MyHD" PCI PC package is a great Digital TV System. That is as it is for
    all the Tuners I have heard about save one, all needing a better Tuner.
    I expect that it will not stay in my system long and be hopefully replaced
    with one with a better tuner.

    --
    Stephen H. Fischer

    Hi,

    SAC 441 wrote:
    > I took the original poster's dissertation as some kind of facetious
    > satire......

    Expected.

    I did not make it up.

    I don't know what is so hard to believe, if you just hook up any old antenna
    to a tuner and hope for the best you may have problems. It really helps to
    know where the transmitters are, aim the antenna properly (and check the
    strength like I suggested), and use the optimal antenna for the job.

    When I got my first DTV tuner I had less than perfect results when I tried
    to use it. After tweaking a few things and using the proper antenna I
    couldn't be happier with the results. I expect you will get things worked
    out.

    > Hi,
    >
    > SAC 441 wrote:
    > > I took the original poster's dissertation as some kind of facetious
    > > satire......
    >
    > Expected.
    >
    > I did not make it up.

    Hi,

    Back on March 25, 2005 I posted a "Very disappointing" account of my attempt
    to receive my very first HDTV broadcast using a "MyHD" PCI card in my
    Desktop computer.

    Using a "Rabbit Ears" VHF antenna produced no channels with an auto scan and
    intermittent reception of the one HDTV station that I wanted to receive the
    most. Finally I could not get it back. KCSM on CH 43.

    I went on to describe almost as bad results when I connected the "MyHD" PCI
    card to my Attic antenna system. VHF Yagi and 4-Bay UHF on a rotor.

    A few days later as I needed a longer length cable I replaced the DVBRCWPOC
    with a length of RG-59 installing the F- Connectors from my parts box.

    Immediately my HDTV reception became "Great" and I now can receive close to
    all the HDTV stations on the air near me.

    I do not have the "BEST" service that I want with all the HDTV stations
    being received with the UHF antenna staying pointed in only one direction,
    but I have close to it. Very similar to analog.

    As to the station I wanted the most, KCSM on CH 43, it has proved to be a
    big problem.

    Of course it is not one of the stations that I receive with the UHF antenna
    pointing in the direction where most all of the others can be received.

    Several times I have rotated the UHF antenna 360 Degrees and have not been
    able to pick it up at all. Sometimes I can get listings but no picture.

    This is problematic as I have found a listing that shows KCSM HDTV CH 43 is
    broadcasting from Sutro Tower (San Francisco) where most of the other
    stations transmit from.

    With so many stations transmitting from Sutro Tower, both analog and HDTV, I
    wonder if KCSM is transmitting from a temporary location and will not be
    able to use their space on Sutro until the analog transmitters are turned
    off thus freeing up space. Theirs is off already.

    So I was using a rotten antenna connected by a defective cable to receive a
    capricious station.

    I only knew about the antenna beforehand. The post was made in a fa·ce·tious
    manner, but I was crying as I typed it. I do try to be funny but most of my
    jokes are missed.

    I also replaced a DVBRCWPOC that was feeding my analog TV and CH 2 KTVU
    became watch able where before it was in the painful to watch class.
    49'ers of course, but then some impostors had taken over so it didn't
    matter.

    I am sure that the problems with DVBRCWPOC have been stated before, I just
    have never read about them.

    So now I am a very Happy Camper, but not completely as my Camping funds
    (USFS) are going into my HTPC and I do not expect to do any Camping this
    year.

    --
    Stephen H. Fischer

    P.S. Sorry for the delay, but Taxes you know are due tomorrow.

    SAC 441 wrote:
    > I took the original poster's dissertation as some kind of facetious
    > satire......

    fa·ce·tious
    adj
    1. supposed to be funny: intended to be humorous but often silly or
    inappropriate
    2. not in earnest: not to be taken seriously
    a facetious suggestion

    > Using a "Rabbit Ears" VHF antenna produced no channels with an auto
    scan and
    > intermittent reception of the one HDTV station that I wanted to
    receive the
    > most. Finally I could not get it back. KCSM on CH 43.

    Why the hell would you expect to pull in a *UHF* channel with a *VHF*
    antenna???

> [...]
    > matter.
    >
    > I am sure that the problems with DVBRCWPOC have been stated before, I just
    > have never read about them.
    >
    > So now I am a very Happy Camper, but not completely as my Camping funds
    > (USFS) are going into my HTPC and I do not expect to do any Camping this
    > year.
    >
    > --
    > Stephen H. Fischer
    >
    > P.S. Sorry for the delay, but Taxes you know are due tomorrow.
    >
    > SAC 441 wrote:
    > > I took the original poster's dissertation as some kind of facetious
    > > satire......
    >
    > fa·ce·tious
    > adj
    > 1. supposed to be funny: intended to be humorous but often silly or
    > inappropriate
    > 2. not in earnest: not to be taken seriously

    Antennas have been out of use for so long people forget how little current
    they produce. Even if it had worked it might have developed a problem some
    time in the future after the connectors stretched or became corroded.
    The coax that came with my HDTV Wonder had the push on connectors and worked
    satisfactorily but I replaced it with a cable with screw on connectors to
    eliminate future problems. Then I put a preamp at the antennae and a BNC
    connector at the card. It's difficult to get at the connector on my card
    without the extension.
    Newsgroup humor is tough. If your doing stand up comedy how do we know your
    not sitting?
    (he says trying to sound like Seinfeld) :^)

    "Stephen H. Fischer" <sfischer1@mindspring.com> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Back on March 25, 2005 I posted a "Very disappointing" account of my
    attempt
    > to receive my very first HDTV broadcast using a "MyHD" PCI card in my
    > Desktop computer.
    >
    > Using a "Rabbit Ears" VHF antenna produced no channels with an auto scan
    and
    > intermittent reception of the one HDTV station that I wanted to receive
    the
    > most. Finally I could not get it back. KCSM on CH 43.
    >
    > I went on to describe almost as bad results when I connected the "MyHD"
    PCI
    > card to my Attic antenna system. VHF Yagi and 4-Bay UHF on a rotor.
    >
    > A few days later as I needed a longer length cable I replaced the
    DVBRCWPOC
    > with a length of RG-59 installing the F- Connectors from my parts box.
    >
    > Immediately my HDTV reception became "Great" and I now can receive close
    > all the HDTV stations on the air near me.

    Indeed, the typical "F" connector has a problem where the shield face you
    see surrounding the center conductor is coated with manufacturing lubricant
    or a particle of non-conductive dust gets caught in there and keeps the
    shield from making contact. You would think the threads in the mating
    connectors would surely bridge the gap and make contact, but oddly enough,
    that doesn't seem to happen in many instances. In desparation, I fabricated
    a small wire brush (out of some brass tubing and wires I pulled out of a
    standard wooden wire brush) a few months ago that I now use to clean the
    surface of any "F" connector shield face, and this has eliminated much of my
    trouble with cables. Any time you see the low VHF channels snowy while the
    higher VHF channels are relatively clean, this shield face contamination is
    most likely the problem. I just get my brush and twirl it deep in the
    cable-end connector and when that ring around the center wire is nice and
    bright, I find the cable works much better. The world would be much happier
    if someone would make a nice brush out of wires and a plastic handle with a
    hole in the center for the center conductor, and sell it for a buck or two.
    Any inventors out there?

    Chuck

HDTV Home Theatre