Cleaning residual thermal paste?

summer_of_alvin

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
If I decide to change the existing heatsink/fan from a CPU, how do I deal with the residual thermal paste from the previous occupant?

Sorry for such a newbie-ish question.

geeky

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I use Akasa TIM Clean. A few drops on a lint free cloth, apply to the left over paste, leave a couple of minutes then wipe off.

But I think Isopropyl Alcohol is used alot from all the stuff I read, but I could never find anywhere near me that sold it. So I got the Akasa stuff from my local parts supplier the last time I was buying stuff.

Frankenstyle

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
I had an old heatsink sitting around so I took paper towel and some hydrogen peroxide. It cleaned it very well, but I don't know if it was necessarily good for it.

It looks clean, but how safe is it to use?

jpgonz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and a coffee filter. Got the stuff off real quick. Found at your local corner store in the first aid section and less than 2 bucks a bottle. Its basically rubbing alcohol for cuts. Besure to get 90%+, it will say on the bottle.

Frankenstyle

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Would nail polish remover be dangerous to use. I know it dissolves the grease very well, but it is too dangerous to put near your processor?

jpgonz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I've heard of people using nail polish remover. There are only a few things (to my knowledge, which is limited) to consider. Do not use non-acetone removers and do not use any with fragrance.

G

just to say, i used a acetone based nail varnish remover (that had quite a ice fragrance:p) to re-apply thermal compound, seemed to of worked so far, and now i have a sweet strawberry fragrance wafting from my xbox :D