Sign in with
Your question

When will the 8900 GTX be out,..?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 16, 2007 2:18:12 PM

After Buying a win fast 8800 GTX. Had problems with it from the first day i bought it. Kept crashing after a few Min's playing a game or 58 secs into 3Dmark06 sent it back to the Internet company i bought it from. They sent it back to me saying they tested it and nothing was wrong with the card. So i sent back my MB,ram,and CPU to another company i got them from and they replaced it for a better model , as i told them it must be there problem as ive had the GPU tested.They agreed and without testing it sent me new MB/Ram/and CPU and sent me striker EX the latest and best Geil ram out for my troubles. ( Great i thought) New upgrade for free. so got it all back and this time i sent it to a shop to get built as i wanted it perfect, after waiting so long anyway they built it for me and gave me it i run the same tests and still it kept crashing after 5 mins or any game and 58 secs of 3Dmark06. So i sent it to another shop to see if there technicians would find the problem anyways they told me it was the GPU again//. so i sent it back. Waited 1 more month and they said the found the fault on it and fixed it. Just got it back today woohoo i thought after near 5 months a messing around i could finally get my PC up and running.... hmmm well the first thing i do when it gets here run the same 2 tests and guess what ? Crashed. So i sent them a email telling them again that it still dose not work and offered them 2 option

1. Give me my money back.
or
2. Give me a replacement GPU ( 7600 GS) until the new 8900 comes out.

i told them that when i bought that card it was the latest technology out at that time for GPUs and after 5 months still not fixed who know how long it will take. The it was only fair i get the newest technology out soon the 8900 GTX.

Not had a reply yet.. What do you think..?

More about : 8900 gtx

August 16, 2007 2:31:10 PM

well since its been 5 months i guess neither option since your warrenty with the retailer probably expired.
August 16, 2007 3:23:23 PM

Have you considered your PSU in this equation?
Related resources
August 16, 2007 3:43:25 PM

Wow what a nightmare.

Could be a PSU problem for sure.
August 16, 2007 4:34:31 PM

Thermaltake 670 i think. But why do you think it would be the power . freezes the screen at the same point of the test every time.

What do you think would be a better solution to ask the company on how to do it..?

Ps Can't find my power supply on (Everest).?

And when will the 8900 be out..?
August 16, 2007 5:14:25 PM

MacD91 said:
Thermaltake 670 i think. But why do you think it would be the power . freezes the screen at the same point of the test every time.

What do you think would be a better solution to ask the company on how to do it..?

Ps Can't find my power supply on (Everest).?

And when will the 8900 be out..?

No one has any reliable information on the new series. Your problem sounds like it has nothing to do with your video card at all. How many amps are on the 12V rail of your PSU? The point where it freezes could be very GPU-intensive, causing a demand for power that your system can't supply. It's very common.

Thermaltake doesn't manufacture a 670W psu. They do make a 470, I sincerely hope that's not what you're using. Take a look at your PSU and give us the specs.
August 16, 2007 5:43:11 PM

Thermaltake Silent PurePower 680W
August 16, 2007 5:57:08 PM

Sounds like a mother board problem . Something similar happened to me.
Do you have a spare board you can test it on or a friend with a pc you can swap the graphic card on?
I have a 8800gtx with a thermaltake 650w no problems.

If they took the card and tested it which worked fine for them then its not the card
did u try the old graphic card again to check if the same thing happens with the crashing
August 16, 2007 6:03:43 PM

well i have changed the MB and ram and exactly the same problem.The local techi said he changed the gpu in another pc and it did the same.think i will go there tomorrow with the card just to make sure as they can be a little lazzy at times.
August 16, 2007 6:10:33 PM

ok kewl let me know
August 16, 2007 6:11:25 PM

he (Techi) said it was the temp rising in the gpu was too high. 70c and they tried to cool it but could not bring the temp down.
August 16, 2007 6:18:11 PM

70c is nothing, mine is 64-67c in windows then when i play a game its 84-90c with no problems
August 16, 2007 6:27:19 PM

So do you think maybe the techi got it wrong and I maybe have a problem with my PSU..?
August 16, 2007 6:37:48 PM

I need to do the test myself its hard to say without seeing it.
But all you have to do is install the graphic card on a friends computer (takes two minute's) and then you will know.
August 16, 2007 7:07:18 PM

cheers will try tomorrow.>}
August 16, 2007 7:25:19 PM

MacD91 said:
So do you think maybe the techi got it wrong and I maybe have a problem with my PSU..?

I agree with Sirkillalot that the tech was wrong and the temp on the gpu sounds fine. There remains a possibility that the psu isn't putting out enough power. It may start to overheat under stress and then fall off in power, resulting in a crash. The Tough Power series from Thermaltake seems to have a better reputation than the Pure Power, by the way. You can try downloading Speedfan and taking the voltage readings from it during a game or under some other stress test, as well as temp readings.

Beyond testing your card in a different computer, you might try testing other cards in your computer if possible. You could have a bad motherboard, for instance. Also make sure that the ram is compatbile with the moitherboard. I know my ASUS board is very picky about what ram it will use. It will start and run on OCZ Platnum for instance, but as soon as it goes under load, it will crash out. By the way, you can check the BIOS to make sure the ram is getting enough power. Some motherboards give a default power that will let the computer start, but as soon as a load starts, the ram fails.

Just some more ideas to think about. Can't say any of which will or won't apply.
August 16, 2007 7:35:41 PM

but about the original post.... no one is sure when the new series will come out or even in if its 9800 or 8900 or what the peformance will be (well some ppl claim they know but I think they may have been reading the inquirer lol)
August 16, 2007 7:41:15 PM

there will be no 8900 no point since the HD2900XT isn't what everyone thought it was going to be..there going to a whole new series, so its kinda retarded to buy a 8800GTX Now..

the 9800GTX (at least thats what is rumored to be called) will be out in Nov...so say the rumor mills
August 16, 2007 7:57:14 PM

"the rumor mills" (i've already mentioned the inquirer)
August 16, 2007 8:15:54 PM

Are you using the latest nvidia drivers when you test your card? If you use the ones that came with it there is a chance that they could be lousy drivers.
!