My New Build (Need help fast) =)

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
So I'm gonna pick up a new computer pretty soon, probably today or tomorrow, and I need some comments on the components listed below:

BFG 8800 GTX OC to 600 MHZ
Q6600
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
WD Caviar SE16 250GB 16MB Cache WD2500KS x 2
LG Black H54NK DVD R Drive
Windows Vista 32 Bit Home Premium
Patriot eXtreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) C5 RAM
XCLIO Windtunnel ATX Case
Scythe 120mm Case Fan
Thermaltake Toughpower 650W PSU
Nero 7
Pre-ordered myself an Auzentech Prelude

A few questions:
1. Is the power supply alright for everything? I just can't seem to get anyone to recommend a power supply to me with 100% certainty. I also can't figure out if it will supply the needed power to the graphics card (as I've heard it has special needs).
2. Is the motherboard alright? There were a few versions of the board up, as well as many other P35 boards. It looked like all I was getting for the extra price were a few extra ports for things I don't need as well as DDR3 support (and I don't plan on going to DDR3 any time soon). I don't plan on eventually going SLI also.
3. Do I need Nero 7? It doesn't appear that the drive comes with any burning software?
4. Is that DVD Burner an okay one? I don't need fast burning, but DVD and CD access times that are fast are a must.
5. Any recommendations for a cheap but good monitor? I'm looking for a widescreen LCD in the 19"+ range that isn't extremely expensive.
6. Will I have any compatibility issues with the above? Any concerns or comments?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Solariscs

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
PSU looks good, but I would have went for the Corsair 620W units, its of a much higher quality, but the Toughpower series is usually pretty good as well.

Everything looks great, but I don't know if you know this or not, your computer won't register 4GB of RAM. You'll only see around 3GB. Only 64-bit OS can read over that amount.

LG makes a good Burner, should be fine. If your looking for a good cheap LCD try the Acer 1916W. I have it right now and its been great so far. Not a dead pixel in sight. I have a syncmaster before it, and I had like 3 dead pixels after a month of usage.

Good luck with your build man, looks like it should be a great computer. Glad you went with the Quad :)

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

Thanks for the speedy and extremely helpful post. As for the power supply, you mean http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002 , right?

Thank you very much =)

I know nothing about that case, make sure it's big enough for the 8800 GTX. It may be worth going with something with soundproofing, if you have any money left after the Q6600 and GTX :) A Lian-Li or Antec maybe?

The rest looks great!

A build like this is worth adding a cooler, even if you don't overclock, just to reduce the noise a bit.

I love the PSU in my sig, check it out. It's overkill if you only have one disk though.

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

The case is one that my friend with a similar build has. It has plenty of room to fit an 8800 GTX. As for soundproofing, sound isn't really a huge issue for me. I have a Dell right now...and I find it hard to believe that it can be much louder than the constant noise this thing makes ;p. As for cooling, I'm not too worried. The case seems to have enough for what I'll be doing (based on what I've heard from the previously mentioned friend =P). So I guess since nobody pointed out the 130$ motherboard, it's alright?

Thanks for all the comments! This is a huge reassurance =)

Solariscs

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
lol that "$130" motherboard is one of the best p35 boards there is, so yes, its pretty alright ;). It's rock stable with many overclock features if you wish to do so later on.

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

Just what I wanted to hear! :love: