disk boot failure ..." fresh install of Xp on Gigabyte p35-dq6

b_curry

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I pieced my computer together but I’m having difficulty completing a fresh install of Windows Xp

I keep getting “disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" when it reboots after the partition, formatting, install of window files

I only have one hard disk installed at any time so there shouldn’t be any conflict or issues with boot priorities.
I'm using default bios settings except I've switched boot priority a hundred different ways; mainly to have to have HD boot first.

I am able to partition, install and copy setup files and folders but then when it attempts to reboot I get the failure.

I've tried 5 or more different SATA Drives including one brand new, all give same error

I can only boot with XP Pro CD

I've tried multiple partitions; 10g,10g,3g,50g (Operating sys, OS backup, swap, programs)

I've tried with just one huge partition

I've tried Xp System Operation Repair/ recovery => fixmbr

Tried xp system repair and format NTFS and then install of xp

everything looks like it installs correctly

Often bios would lose reorganization of hard drive after partition, format and install; why is that MBR corruption?

I tried different cables and different SATA ports but I've default to the SATA 0 port

what about bios settings?
SATA RAID/ACHI MODE: default is Disable which diables both /Raid/achi mode should i enable SATA as AHCI?

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode Disabled: Disable has SATA operate in legacy mode should this be changed?

Onboard Sata//ide ctrl mode should I have as IDE ro AHCI

thanks in advace

New system

MB: Gigabyte P35-Dq6

CPU: Dual Core 6320

VGA: Asus Exa1950pro

MEM: 1Gx2 CRUCIAL

Case: Sonata III

H/Fan: Zalman 9500

rivalneighbour

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
did you tap F6 when installation briefly asks if you want to install any drivers during the install of system files? then use the raid drivers floppy disk that came with your motherboard "F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver"

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Sounds to me like you are trying to use the intel controller without the drivers... Try instead using the gigabyte controller ports, no drivers should be required. Unless your intention is to use raid....