Sign in with
Your question

My new gaming rig!

Last response: in Systems
August 7, 2007 3:15:44 AM

Here are the pieces that I picked for a new PC...

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6850
MOBO: P5N32-E SLI PLUS
RAM: 2GB PC2-8500 SDRAM Ballistix
Video Card: GeForce EVGA 8800GTX 768MB PCIe
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-FI Elite Pro
Primary HDD: WD1500ADFD 150GB Raptor SATA
2nd HDD: WD5000AAKS 500GB Caviar SE16 SATA
Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 832
PSU: Silencer 750W Quad PSU

The current PC is 6 yrs old and besides a 256mb increase of ram and a 256mb GeForce 6200 it's not changed.

It currently is a 1.33 GHZ CPU, 768mb, 256mb video card, with a Audigy 1 sound card.

What kind of increase can I expect?

More about : gaming rig

August 7, 2007 3:17:53 AM

lol those two can't even be compared. You're light years ahead now ;) .

Enjoy your system! It looks great.
August 7, 2007 4:37:22 AM

What kind of increase?

About the same difference between a stock '70 Plymouth Valiant slant 5 110hp 4dr sedan to the lastest Porsche, Audi, BMW Wundercar!

The '70 Plymouth was my first car and the only thing it was good for was the vinyl seat covers were easily clean.

Oh, and it had a back seat. Wink Wink.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 7, 2007 4:55:46 AM

It will make your old system look like a giant calculator. That would be a nice rig. Good for Crysis.
August 7, 2007 5:17:07 AM

nice rig homie!
August 7, 2007 6:14:17 AM

You may have to fit your chair with a five point harness and strap down tight until you get used to the speed increase. :lol: 
August 7, 2007 7:45:38 AM

I'd change your board if I was you. Try the EVGA 680i board.
There are a lot of memory compatibility issues with the P5N32 where it won't recognise 4 sticks of ram in it.
There are very few sticks that it supports and even then the listing changes regularly. There are no such issues with the EVGA board.
I ended up having to buy 2x2Ggig kits as this was the only way of getting the board to read 4 gigs.
Plus for overclocking purposes people cannot get higher than 350mhz on the FSB with quad-cores with the Asus board. Again no such issues with the EVGA board.
August 7, 2007 3:14:24 PM

I still like my rig better than yours, but it's close. And my old rig was a P3/MX 4000 so I know how you feel :lol:  :lol: 

If you don't overclock you can get PC2-6400. If you do overclock you need a cooler.

If you want SLI then you've picked the right mobo (or get the eVGA, sure). If you don't, I'd recommend the GA-P35-DS3R or GA-P35C-DS3R. I vote against SLI, there are just too many issues.

The X-Fi Elite is a waste of money, can you name one feature it has that ExtremeMusic doesn't have and you need?

The Raptor will ruin your enjoyment of the X-Fi with its noise.

I would get 2 x 2GB memory, with that sort of budget. Avoid the 4 x1 GB combination, there are some issues there.

A Q6600 will run circles around the E6850 in Crysis, despite the lower clocks.

Since you obviously have a nice budget, why not get a factory overclocked GTX like the ACS3 or OC2.

Any optional/replacement case fans? Do you care about noise at all? Maybe a case with soundproofing foam?

Speakers? The Logitech Z-5500 would make that X-Fi shine...

Don't take all this too seriously, I'm just being picky. That's a fantastic computer you've got there. :bounce: 
August 8, 2007 1:50:53 AM

I am in a quandry, I am a gamer however I like to do stuff like photoshop, listen to MP3's, encode video for my 360 and iPod. Would the Q6600 be a better choice for a CPU over the E6850?

Would I get a major difference in gaming performance by comparison or does the fact I am leaping from a 1.3ghz T-Bird make the difference negligable?

Is Crysis a game that uses all 4 cpu's?

How is the Z-550 compared to the Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1's in terms of sound quality?

What's the benefits of SLI?
August 8, 2007 2:04:17 PM

mykul said:
I am in a quandry, I am a gamer however I like to do stuff like photoshop, listen to MP3's, encode video for my 360 and iPod. Would the Q6600 be a better choice for a CPU over the E6850?

Would I get a major difference in gaming performance by comparison or does the fact I am leaping from a 1.3ghz T-Bird make the difference negligable?

Is Crysis a game that uses all 4 cpu's?

How is the Z-550 compared to the Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1's in terms of sound quality?

What's the benefits of SLI?

The Q6600 will be better than the E6850 in Crysis and most future games and video encoding. The E6850 will do better in Photoshop (yeah, I know it's surprising, but it has been measured) and in most current games.

The difference will be negligible, except maybe in video encoding where the Q6600 will win by a noticeable margin, assuming you have software that can use all 4 cores. Differences in games will not be very noticeable because cores 3 and 4 will not be used anywhere near 100% even in games that do know how to use them. Supreme Commander for example does use cores 3 and 4 but only at around 10% each. That's because in a game you don't have 4 tasks of equal difficulty to do in parallel, you just delegate whatever you can to the spare cores.

I would expect Klipsch to be better (at twice the price), but Logitech makes great stuff too. I would rather pay 300 for the Z-5500 than 600 for the Klipsch, even if the Klipsch is better, because my ears won't really notice the difference. If this is an important thing for you I suggest going to a store and listening to both, then decide. I did that and they both sounded fantastic.

SLI has very few benefits, the disadvantages are much more important IMO. Do consider SLI if your screen resolution is 2560x1600, otherwise a single 8800 GTX is a much smarter idea.
August 8, 2007 7:01:24 PM

My bad about Photoshop, I remember that chart but I read it wrong. That makes a lot more sense.

Personally, I decided to try SLI when a high-end card consumes 50W and a 30" monitor is $700 or less. Anyway, if he wants SLI it's best to try it on XP rather than Vista.
August 8, 2007 7:26:30 PM

yep i totally agree, if u want SLI , then go with XP , because of drivers
!