Closed

SA 8300 "Cable Out"

Having finally thrown in the towel on CableCard service from TW Cable here,
we got an SA 8300 HD box yesterday and set it up. It has a coax "CABLE OUT"
which, according to the manual, is to run cable with SD video only out to a
VCR's "RF IN" cable connection. I tried hooking it up that way to my
Panasonic E80 DVR but all I get out of it is blue screen.

This is not a big deal. I don't really need the E80 DVR there, since the
8300 is a DVR with which I will record programs, instead of using the E80.
But I wondered if anyone else had tried to run cable from their 8300 "CABLE
OUT" into a VCR or other machine and what kind of results they got. Also,
any idea why this did not work with the E80? Must be something weird about
the cable signal OUT but I have no idea what that might be.

mack
austin
19 answers Last reply
More about 8300 cable

    Did you have the SA8300HD on at the time? IIRK there is no bypass in
    the 8300. I have an 8300 but don't use the RF out. I use the
    component.

    I know some cable boxes have the possibility of utilizing the cable out by
    turning on RF Bypass but have disabled that feature.

    "Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
    message news:TZT0e.19120$ot.10104@tornado.texas.rr.com...
    > Having finally thrown in the towel on CableCard service from TW Cable
    > here, we got an SA 8300 HD box yesterday and set it up. It has a coax
    > "CABLE OUT" which, according to the manual, is to run cable with SD video
    > only out to a VCR's "RF IN" cable connection. I tried hooking it up that
    > way to my Panasonic E80 DVR but all I get out of it is blue screen.
    >
    > This is not a big deal. I don't really need the E80 DVR there, since the
    > 8300 is a DVR with which I will record programs, instead of using the E80.
    > But I wondered if anyone else had tried to run cable from their 8300
    > "CABLE OUT" into a VCR or other machine and what kind of results they got.
    > Also, any idea why this did not work with the E80? Must be something
    > weird about the cable signal OUT but I have no idea what that might be.
    >
    > mack
    > austin

    The cable setup menu has a setting for the cable box that is RF OUT, which
    will toggle this on or off.

    I have not seen that in the cable menu settings, but perhaps it is in the
    boot menu. I could unplug and replug the box and see what presents itself.

    mack
    austin

    "J_C_" <jchervek@nothome.com> wrote in message
    > The cable setup menu has a setting for the cable box that is RF OUT, which
    > will toggle this on or off.

    Yes, the 8300 box was on. I don't use the RF out for connection to my TV
    set, either. I use an HDMI cable for that. I just want to connect it, as a
    bypass, to a Panasonic E80 standalone DVR, for recording SD programs to DVR,
    although since I have the 8300 recorder, I may not actually have much use
    for it.

    mack
    austin

    "Mac" <cmccart1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Did you have the SA8300HD on at the time? IIRK there is no bypass in
    > the 8300. I have an 8300 but don't use the RF out. I use the
    > component.

    If your vcr as an s-video input have you considered use the s-video out on
    the SA8300HD? The SA8300HD outputs to all outputs simultaneously. Also,
    this allows you to utilize the "copy to vcr" function of the 8300. In fact
    I have mine hooked up via s-video to a dvd recorder that also has an 80GB
    hard drive and I copy to this instead of a vcr.

    "Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
    message news:TZT0e.19120$ot.10104@tornado.texas.rr.com...
    > Having finally thrown in the towel on CableCard service from TW Cable
    here,
    > we got an SA 8300 HD box yesterday and set it up. It has a coax "CABLE
    OUT"
    > which, according to the manual, is to run cable with SD video only out to
    > VCR's "RF IN" cable connection. I tried hooking it up that way to my
    > Panasonic E80 DVR but all I get out of it is blue screen.
    >
    > This is not a big deal. I don't really need the E80 DVR there, since the
    > 8300 is a DVR with which I will record programs, instead of using the E80.
    > But I wondered if anyone else had tried to run cable from their 8300
    "CABLE
    > OUT" into a VCR or other machine and what kind of results they got. Also,
    > any idea why this did not work with the E80? Must be something weird
    about
    > the cable signal OUT but I have no idea what that might be.
    >
    > mack
    > austin

    Using the S-video OUT to the external DVR sounds like a good idea. Except,
    what I had in mind was achieving the same thing you get with a VCR (or my
    Panasonic E80, for that matter) "pass through" cable in/cable out. So that
    I would just be sending everything on the cable, through the 8300, to the
    E80 and the E80 could then be set to record anything, anytime from the
    analog cable channels.

    mack
    austin

    "halebob" <nsdhs@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If your vcr as an s-video input have you considered use the s-video out on
    > the SA8300HD? The SA8300HD outputs to all outputs simultaneously. Also,
    > this allows you to utilize the "copy to vcr" function of the 8300. In
    > fact
    > I have mine hooked up via s-video to a dvd recorder that also has an 80GB
    > hard drive and I copy to this instead of a vcr.
    >
    > "Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
    > message news:TZT0e.19120$ot.10104@tornado.texas.rr.com...
    >> Having finally thrown in the towel on CableCard service from TW Cable
    > here,
    >> we got an SA 8300 HD box yesterday and set it up. It has a coax "CABLE
    > OUT"
    >> which, according to the manual, is to run cable with SD video only out to
    >> VCR's "RF IN" cable connection. I tried hooking it up that way to my
    >> Panasonic E80 DVR but all I get out of it is blue screen.
    >>
    >> This is not a big deal. I don't really need the E80 DVR there, since the
    >> 8300 is a DVR with which I will record programs, instead of using the
    >> E80.
    >> But I wondered if anyone else had tried to run cable from their 8300
    > "CABLE
    >> OUT" into a VCR or other machine and what kind of results they got.
    >> Also,
    >> any idea why this did not work with the E80? Must be something weird
    > about
    >> the cable signal OUT but I have no idea what that might be.
    >>
    >> mack
    >> austin

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:08:16 GMT, "Mack McKinnon"
    <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote:

    >Using the S-video OUT to the external DVR sounds like a good idea. Except,
    >what I had in mind was achieving the same thing you get with a VCR (or my
    >Panasonic E80, for that matter) "pass through" cable in/cable out. So that
    >I would just be sending everything on the cable, through the 8300, to the
    >E80 and the E80 could then be set to record anything, anytime from the
    >analog cable channels.

    If you figure this out please let us know.

    You can always split the signal to the 8300 and the VCR, but that
    would create an extra 3.5db of signal loss which could impact
    reception.

    Hi, the "Cable Out" does work. Your TV or DVR has to be in channel 3 or 4
    depending on the setup of the TV. So it is not a quality output at all. I do
    leave it connected to the TV because in case I turn the TV to the antenna
    input at least I don't get a loud hiss. I don't know why they could not have
    provided a proper cable out with which you can tune your TV to anything
    analog.
    Roger

    So, if you have to have your TV or DVR connected to Ch. 3 or 4, that means
    you then have to use the 8300 box to tune the analog channel? In that case,
    it is not a "pass through" of the cable signal, as I thought it was. What
    is the purpose of it, then?

    mack
    austin

    "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, the "Cable Out" does work. Your TV or DVR has to be in channel 3 or 4
    > depending on the setup of the TV. So it is not a quality output at all. I
    > do leave it connected to the TV because in case I turn the TV to the
    > antenna input at least I don't get a loud hiss. I don't know why they
    > could not have provided a proper cable out with which you can tune your TV
    > to anything analog.
    > Roger

    The purpose, I assume, is to provide output for TVs that don't have
    composite inputs.

    -barry

    wrote:

    >So, if you have to have your TV or DVR connected to Ch. 3 or 4, that means
    >you then have to use the 8300 box to tune the analog channel? In that case,
    >it is not a "pass through" of the cable signal, as I thought it was. What
    >is the purpose of it, then?
    >
    >mack
    >austin
    >

    >"Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, the "Cable Out" does work. Your TV or DVR has to be in channel 3 or 4
    >> depending on the setup of the TV. So it is not a quality output at all. I
    >> do leave it connected to the TV because in case I turn the TV to the
    >> antenna input at least I don't get a loud hiss. I don't know why they
    >> could not have provided a proper cable out with which you can tune your TV
    >> to anything analog.
    >> Roger

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:55:54 GMT, "Mack McKinnon"
    <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote:

    >So, if you have to have your TV or DVR connected to Ch. 3 or 4, that means
    >you then have to use the 8300 box to tune the analog channel? In that case,
    >it is not a "pass through" of the cable signal, as I thought it was. What
    >is the purpose of it, then?

    I ran a line to the kitchen tv from the sa4200hd. With an a-b switch
    we can watch ch 80 and up.

    Hi,

    <<So, if you have to have your TV or DVR connected to Ch. 3 or 4, that means
    you then have to use the 8300 box to tune the analog channel?>>
    Yup....

    <<In that case, it is not a "pass through" of the cable signal, as I thought
    it was. What
    is the purpose of it, then?>>

    Tell you the truth it has no real use that I can think of. Now a
    pass-through Cable out, that would be a different thing altogether, would be
    very useful for watching analog cable.
    Roger

    > Hi,
    >
    > <<So, if you have to have your TV or DVR connected to Ch. 3 or 4, that
    > means
    > you then have to use the 8300 box to tune the analog channel?>>
    > Yup....
    >
    > <<In that case, it is not a "pass through" of the cable signal, as I
    > thought it was. What
    > is the purpose of it, then?>>
    >
    > Tell you the truth it has no real use that I can think of. Now a
    > pass-through Cable out, that would be a different thing altogether, would
    > be very useful for watching analog cable.
    > Roger

    Ihave an idea. Disconnect the cable from the SA8300 and connect it directly
    to the TV/VCR/DVR and then take the SA9300 back to the cable company. That
    way you don't need a pass through cable signal to watch analog channels.

    Or use a splitter.

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:18:31 GMT, "Guy"
    <gmarremoveentette@neo.rremovetoor.com> wrote:

    >Ihave an idea. Disconnect the cable from the SA8300 and connect it directly
    >to the TV/VCR/DVR and then take the SA9300 back to the cable company. That
    >way you don't need a pass through cable signal to watch analog channels.

    The pass through would be useful to avoid using a splitter.

    The reason for splitting the signal is simple: you can run the analog
    RF output to your TV to enjoy the split-screen capability of your
    HDTV. The 8300HD supports PIP only, but with a large widescreen HDTV,
    split-screen is a better alternative.

    If you do use a splitter, you must have sufficient signal strength and
    use a 1000Mhz splitter, otherwise the reception of some HDTV channels
    will be affected.

    > Ihave an idea. Disconnect the cable from the SA8300 and connect it
    > directly to the TV/VCR/DVR and then take the SA9300 back to the cable
    > company. That way you don't need a pass through cable signal to watch
    > analog channels.
    >
    > Or use a splitter.

    The SA8300 IS a DVR, with a hard drive that records up to 20 hours of HD, as
    well as an HDTV cable box. The only reason to run a "pass-through" cable
    through it would be to record programs on another DVR or VCR while leaving
    your first cable connection into the 8300. It is my understanding that
    using a splitter before the 8300 may be problematical but that is something
    that someone can certainly try.

    I have used a basic digital HDTV cable box, a cablecard and now an SA8300
    for cable input and the 8300 is by FAR the best of those three options.
    Great HD picture, live and recorded, and surprisingly good SD. Its only
    problems, as I see it, are some recording firmware issues that make it a
    hassle to set a program to pre-record and then join late and "chase" it.
    Perhaps they will fix that someday. But other than that, the 8300 is great,
    IMO.

    mack
    austin

    <<Ihave an idea. Disconnect the cable from the SA8300 and connect it
    directly
    to the TV/VCR/DVR and then take the SA9300 back to the cable company. That
    way you don't need a pass through cable signal to watch analog channels.>>

    Sarcasm is not a good form of wit...!!

    <<Or use a splitter.>>

    Been there, done that. Signal drops enough to make it not feasible.

    Roger
  18. This topic has been closed by Proximon

HDTV Cable DVR Home Theatre