E6550 Idle @ 50degrees. is this normal??

howiejeon

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I am completely new to overclocking. I have my E6550 on a mild overclock (445mhz x 7) and using CoreTemp to measure temps. At idle it is 50degrees. I think this is fairly high, isnt it? btw my room is pretty cold right now. Here are my specs

E6550 @ 445mhz x 7
Corsair DDR2-1066 ram (running 1:1)
Abit I35-E
maxtor 500gig HD
Antec P180 case
Antec Earthwatts 430 PSU
Gemin II HS (w/ 2 120mm fans)
Arctic silver paste

I haven't done any stress testing yet b/c i'm afraid it might fry my chip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Temps are different for many people , for example for me , the temp of E6600 for many users is 32 , (@ stock) but for me is 39-44, and thats because of i live in a ~ hot country

download EVEREST ULTIMATE EDITION and INTEL TAT for measuring TEMP

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
First off, in my opinion, that isn't a mild overclock, you're comin up close to a 50% OC.
Second, is your CPU volt set @ default? If it is, override that. For my E6300 @ 2.8G, I actually LOWERED the default voltage value from 1.325-1.285. I idle at 39/38, and full load at 49/47.
Third, alot of people use TAT for temp measurement, but personally, I just don't trust it as it was not designed for C2D's. I use Core Temp for my temp monitoring, and after much rebooting to check BIOS temps, it was the closest to correct that I could figure.
There are a number of other things you need to double and triple check as well. C2D's have a crappy mobo clip system, make sure those little white clips are locked down and properly rotated. Make sure you have applied your thermal paste the correct way. (Refer to arctic silvers website for a nice little demonstration on the proper techniques.) 50C seems a little high to me, but you aren't pushing the thermal envelope just yet. Good luck.

yes TAT is for Pentium M mostly ,also remember something , MAYBE sometimes u get a very odd temp , if u got that ,then simply touch your heatsink, if it was high then your cpu is warm (or hot) if it isnt and u are reported with high temps then u have a board that is reporting high ( i read this in an article about OC)