Huge HD Playback !!

Phyl690

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi everyone.

I'm having some problem with HD (HD-DVD and Blu ray) playback.

My hardware is the following :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3Ghz
4gb of ram
Sapphire X1950XT 256M
Raptor 74g
2x Seagate 500g
Vista Ultimate x64
LG GGC-H20L (HD-DVD and Blu ray reader)
Samsung SyncMaster 275t (with HDCP) @ 1920x1200
Creative Sounds Blaster XFI Xtreme Gamer
Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1

Lastest driver for everything
With the LG, I got PowerDVD Ultra 7.3
Now, I check with the advisor and everything is ok for HD Playback.

But when I start playing an HDDVD or a Blu ray, the movie is playing at like 1 frame every 20sec or so.
After a few second, a pathetic strange sounds is coming out of the speaker.

Unplayable. Not funny. It should not be happening.

Did I miss something ?
lol what is going on ?
Help me !

Thanks for your help

Phyl690

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
After reinstalling driver of Creative, ATI, and PowerDVD Ultra multiple time and it still failed to playback HD movie properly, I have try to play with PowerDVD Ultra a normal DVD of the matrix ...

AND ITS STILL CHOPPY. :(

And of course, the same Matrix movie play perfectly in VLC.

So I guess my problem is maybe more a codec problem ? Anyone have an idea of what codec can cause that problem ?

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi

Have you tried running Windows XP 64bit?? I general this is quite a good O.S.

I have not had any problems playing back Blu-Ray disks @ full res. (well off the side of my 1600x1200 screen of course!!) with a X1950 Pro 512Mb.
Also please not that I am running this through a DVI link!!

In Vista I believe (this could be completely wrong of course) that you need a GPU that supports this stupid encryption over the HDCP link. So even if you have like a 2400/2600/2900 (for example) the bloody card is using a lot of potential horsepower just encrypting the information to send to the display!! Arrrrggg!! Is this right or just rumour?

Bob

P.S. why are people still buying 256 Mb cards for high end systems!! Argggg!! Will that even decode @1080p (uhhhmm maybe for M-PEG 2 HD-DVD/Blu-Ray!!)??

Like others said, try playing with a different OS, just to isolate the issue. This shouldn't be happening in the first place. Even with vista.

In Vista I believe (this could be completely wrong of course) that you need a GPU that supports this stupid encryption over the HDCP link.
Its not vista (XP as well), its the MPAA. Have fun trying to play HDVD or BR in linux, the MPAA/RIAA doesnt like free.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Indeed..The OS shouldn't be the limiting factor. You need a HDCP compatible system. I can play 720p files fine that are x264 encoded on a 3.2 prescott and x700 pro. Although 1080p is out of the question.

Although I haven't read into this issue much. You'll need a graphics card capable and maybe a monitor that supports HDCP if I'm not mistaken (anyone care to correct this?) I'm on a old rig so not sure. But I can play 720p hd fine if it's x264 via Direct shot. Your problem sounds odd...so it has to be the HDCP factor. Afterall...Your quad core cpu should rip through 1080p HD-DVD/Bluray sources fine.

it wouldnt matter if it was DVI or VGA. The only thing that would change is the resolution of the output video. HDCP checks to see if its a protected source/line, if its not then it simply degrades the video quality.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Try using AnyDvD HD running in the background. You can try it free for like 20 days or so. It will remove any special crap that prevents it from being played. I use it and it will let me copy DvDs that wouldn't allow copying before. I dont have HD on mine yet but I'm sure this will work if your problem is a protection scheme. Any DvD and Clone DVD together allows for a copy of virtually any movie. Afterall who wants to get their originals all scratched up. Some of us have kids that are ruff on the disks.