Bye-Bye Travel Acc Debuff

| Now Testing in the Training Room as of 5/9/05:

| Powers

| o Removed ToHit penalty from Super Speed, Super Leap, Fly and
| Peacebringer Fly.

| o If you attack a target while you have Super Speed on, you will be
| reduced to your base run speed for 4 seconds.

| o If you attack a target while you have Super Leap on, you will be
| reduced to your base jumping for 4 seconds.

| o If you attack a target while you have Flight on, you will be
| reduced to Hover flight speed for 4 seconds.

| o The following powers can now significantly affect enemies with
| Super Speed and Super Leap: Chilling Embrace (Tanker, Blaster and
| Jack Frost), Mud Pots, Ice Patch (Tanker, Blaster), Caltrops, Rain
| of Fire, Ice Storm, Blizzard, Shiver (Blaster, Controller), Arctic
| Air, Tar Patch, Snow Storm (Defender, Controller), Freezing Rain,
| Lingering Radiation, Siphon Speed, QuickSand, Ice Slick.

Well, when this goes into effect, it is going to significantly
decrease the need for bindkits like Speed-on-Demand. It's might even
make it possible for more people to skip hover altogether in their
build if they can afford the End burn of continuous Flight.

Overall, I think that this is an improvement over I3 for Fliers, and
not a *terrible* hit from I3 for Speeders and Jumpers. And it's
certainly going to make playing a human-mode Peacebringer up to level
10 a lot easier.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
9 answers Last reply
More about travel debuff
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >| Now Testing in the Training Room as of 5/9/05:
    >
    >| Powers
    >
    >| o Removed ToHit penalty from Super Speed, Super Leap, Fly and
    >| Peacebringer Fly.
    >
    >| o If you attack a target while you have Super Speed on, you will be
    >| reduced to your base run speed for 4 seconds.
    >
    >| o If you attack a target while you have Super Leap on, you will be
    >| reduced to your base jumping for 4 seconds.
    >
    >| o If you attack a target while you have Flight on, you will be
    >| reduced to Hover flight speed for 4 seconds.
    >
    >| o The following powers can now significantly affect enemies with
    >| Super Speed and Super Leap: Chilling Embrace (Tanker, Blaster and
    >| Jack Frost), Mud Pots, Ice Patch (Tanker, Blaster), Caltrops, Rain
    >| of Fire, Ice Storm, Blizzard, Shiver (Blaster, Controller), Arctic
    >| Air, Tar Patch, Snow Storm (Defender, Controller), Freezing Rain,
    >| Lingering Radiation, Siphon Speed, QuickSand, Ice Slick.
    >
    >Well, when this goes into effect, it is going to significantly
    >decrease the need for bindkits like Speed-on-Demand. It's might even
    >make it possible for more people to skip hover altogether in their
    >build if they can afford the End burn of continuous Flight.
    >
    >Overall, I think that this is an improvement over I3 for Fliers, and
    >not a *terrible* hit from I3 for Speeders and Jumpers. And it's
    >certainly going to make playing a human-mode Peacebringer up to level
    >10 a lot easier.

    I think it's a pretty damn good idea and perfectly fits what i've always
    said about the flight pool - you don't have to take hover to get flight,
    so why is hover treated like it's a pre-req.
    Finally it won't be.

    For anyone who wants to think a bit and/or use binds the new slowdown
    won't affect them at all since it only hits if you attack while it's up.

    It actually kinda makes sense, in that you have interrupted your motion
    to attack and have to build up inertia again.

    Personally i'd have had the decrease scale to fit that idea (IE fly
    attacks, drops to hover speed for second 1,
    ..25 fly speed for second 2,
    ..5 fly speed for second 3,
    ..75 fly speed for second 4,
    then full fly speed again.)

    That would be harder to do than the 2 fixed speeds way they've done it
    though so I can certainly understand why they wouldn't want to bother
    with the added complexity (especially when you consider that fly
    actually gets slotted for speed - and differently by different players.)

    Xocyll
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    > I think it's a pretty damn good idea...

    Seconded. This makes auto (and reasonable) what all the complicated speed
    binds have always done, and preserves stealth and accuracy at a modest
    "penalty."

    Hoo-ray.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

    "Robotech_Master" <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in message
    > | Now Testing in the Training Room as of 5/9/05:
    >
    > | Powers
    >
    > | o Removed ToHit penalty from Super Speed, Super Leap, Fly and
    > | Peacebringer Fly.
    >
    > | o If you attack a target while you have Super Speed on, you will be
    > | reduced to your base run speed for 4 seconds.

    I hope this goes live soon, but a post on the official forums said that
    people can still joust. The run speed change doesn't come into effect until
    your attack animation begins, by which time you can be well past the target.
    Why did they have to go dorking with this power, at least outside of PvP?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Andy Pear" <Andy_Pear@Spamhawk.com> wrote:
    > I hope this goes live soon, but a post on the official forums said
    > that people can still joust. The run speed change doesn't come into
    > effect until your attack animation begins, by which time you can be
    > well past the target. Why did they have to go dorking with this power,
    > at least outside of PvP?

    If you can use the root-word "dork" and the acronym "PvP" in the same
    sentence, you are most of the way to answering your own question.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= RorShok: Level 17 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 12 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    They should just make a formula and forget about it, something like ACC
    = normal ACC - k*relative speed (yours vs. target). Basically, if
    you're running at 200 MPH and in front of you is another guy running at
    200MPH (same direction) then it's as easy to hit as if both were
    standing. If you blast a stationary target while sprinting you have a
    small penalty, if you blast while passing at 200MPH you will probably
    fail.
    That's the natural way, would solve all the problems, and would just
    make sense, instead of checking each power and changing things every
    update.
    But that's just my opinion
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Good idea but it won't work. Your formula and logic are sound, the
    problem is the technology limitations we're working under. I don't know
    what NCsoft is running for the servers but the processer load of
    calculating a relative speed for every attack in the game (even just the
    additional load of checking speed to check for the need for a relative
    speed calculation) would probably cripple the poor servers.

    Adding a check for movement for each target, then a relative speed
    calculation is two to three more calculations per character object per
    attack. So not just the players but also everything in the game that
    ever makes an accuracy check for anything adds even more load. The
    system right now checks range, then legal target flags, then a to-hit
    calculation (defense vs. accuracy modified by debuff), then damage
    (resistance vs. damage, modified by debuff), then hp>0.

    Like I said, it's a good idea and sound thinking but it's going to
    happen without a good hardware upgrade on the server side. I think, my
    opinion, they could be running a small supercomputer or equivalent, I
    don't think they are.
    --
    I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >They should just make a formula and forget about it, something like ACC
    >= normal ACC - k*relative speed (yours vs. target). Basically, if
    >you're running at 200 MPH and in front of you is another guy running at
    >200MPH (same direction) then it's as easy to hit as if both were
    >standing.

    Assuming you have a ranged attack that is.

    >If you blast a stationary target while sprinting you have a
    >small penalty, if you blast while passing at 200MPH you will probably
    >fail.
    >That's the natural way, would solve all the problems, and would just
    >make sense, instead of checking each power and changing things every
    >update.
    >But that's just my opinion

    Why would the fast speed lower the accuracy - after all you'll be at the
    target before he has time to react.

    I'm guessing you're talking about using ranged attacks - so I can kinda
    see the point your making for lower accuracy - it would be hard to aim a
    gun as you're rushing at 200mph.

    I was thinking more of a melee attack like a clothesline, where you're
    aiming YOU to pass very close by the target.

    Actually there is one legit use of kiting i've found - kiting those must
    be destroyed items in missions that always blow up.
    Ranged users take no damage, while melee types take considerable damage,
    unless they kite past at speed.

    They got just a little too gung ho with the explosions on destroy items.
    I swear if they had you destroy a box full of water, it would explode.

    Xocyll
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    | "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    | the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    |
    | >They should just make a formula and forget about it, something like ACC
    | >= normal ACC - k*relative speed (yours vs. target). Basically, if
    | >you're running at 200 MPH and in front of you is another guy running at
    | >200MPH (same direction) then it's as easy to hit as if both were
    | >standing.
    |
    | Assuming you have a ranged attack that is.
    |
    | >If you blast a stationary target while sprinting you have a
    | >small penalty, if you blast while passing at 200MPH you will probably
    | >fail.
    | >That's the natural way, would solve all the problems, and would just
    | >make sense, instead of checking each power and changing things every
    | >update.
    | >But that's just my opinion
    |
    | Why would the fast speed lower the accuracy - after all you'll be at the
    | target before he has time to react.
    |
    | I'm guessing you're talking about using ranged attacks - so I can kinda
    | see the point your making for lower accuracy - it would be hard to aim a
    | gun as you're rushing at 200mph.
    |
    | I was thinking more of a melee attack like a clothesline, where you're
    | aiming YOU to pass very close by the target.
    |
    | Actually there is one legit use of kiting i've found - kiting those must
    | be destroyed items in missions that always blow up.
    | Ranged users take no damage, while melee types take considerable damage,
    | unless they kite past at speed.
    |
    | They got just a little too gung ho with the explosions on destroy items.
    | I swear if they had you destroy a box full of water, it would explode.
    |
    | Xocyll
    | --

    The "N64 007 Syndrome" --- everything in that game but window glass and
    a few crates are rigged to explode.

    If the Russians rigged every computer to explode, then that would
    explain the lack of notable computer programs from that nation. I sure as
    Hell would never go near a Russian computer inside the "N64 007" game on the
    risk of being blown to bits if the code compiler has a glitch. The
    "official" name for this is "Bad Movie Physics" under the subcatagory of
    "movie explosions cliché" and "

    http://www.moviecliches.com/cliche1.html#bombs
    * A building that in real life would require several dozen carefully placed
    explosive charges for demolition; can in a movie, be destroyed by a single
    bomb in a car trunk (see "Lethal Weapon III"). This bomb will cause no
    damage to any other building on the block.

    THE MOVIE CLICHÉ LIST (lots of typos though)
    http://www.moviecliches.com/

    INSULTINGLY STUPID MOVIE PHYSICS
    http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/

    Cartoon Laws of Physics
    http://www.frostbytes.com/~jimf/humor/cartoon.laws.html
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Good idea but it won't work. Your formula and logic are sound, the
    problem is the technology limitations we're working under. I don't know

    what NCsoft is running for the servers but the processer load of
    calculating a relative speed for every attack in the game (even just
    the
    additional load of checking speed to check for the need for a relative
    speed calculation) would probably cripple the poor servers.

    I'm not so sure about it. Right now you have something like this:
    If attack = X then
    If target.flying then
    xxx
    elseif target.superspeed then
    xxx
    elseif target.hover then
    xxx
    end if
    elseif attack = Y then
    And then if in next upgrade they introduce a new travel power like
    'Jogging' then you have a nightmare to code and change everywhere
    All that code, instead of just ...
    Hit = ACC -k*(x*sin(y) + x*cos(z)) or whatever the formula is
    (finished college 15 years ago, I'm lucky to still remember what 2+2
    is)
    If you add a new superpower, doesn't matter.

Video Games