ATT coverage maps online somewhere?

Last response: in Network Providers
January 16, 2005 1:23:17 PM

We're Cingular customers getting ready to move. Where we are moving,
Cingular has a weak signal (2/5 bars). But the phones we are using do not
have the 64K sims. I was hoping to find out if the 64K sims would help us.
But I'd have to see a map of ATT's coverage area. I know that the maps
aren't incredibly accurate, but if there is a huge blind spot where we are
moving, that would at least tell me that the 64K sim (and compatible phone)
would NOT help us. -Dave
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:04:46 AM

In <34vf76F42j465U1@individual.net> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:23:17 -0500, "Dave
C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>We're Cingular customers getting ready to move. Where we are moving,
>Cingular has a weak signal (2/5 bars). But the phones we are using do not
>have the 64K sims.

32K SIMs can freely roam on ATTWS.

>I was hoping to find out if the 64K sims would help us.

They will only help with an ENS phone, and even then the difference is small.

January 18, 2005 12:15:17 PM

In article <iy2Hd.2579$m31.31258@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <34vf76F42j465U1@individual.net> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:23:17 -0500, "Dave
> C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
>
> >We're Cingular customers getting ready to move. Where we are moving,
> >Cingular has a weak signal (2/5 bars). But the phones we are using do not
> >have the 64K sims.
>
> 32K SIMs can freely roam on ATTWS.
>
> >I was hoping to find out if the 64K sims would help us.
>
> They will only help with an ENS phone, and even then the difference is small.

We've already had posts showing MAJOR differences in some cases.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:58:37 PM

> 32K SIMs can freely roam on ATTWS.
>

> They will only help with an ENS phone, and even then the difference is
> small.

Yes, my Cingular phone has been freely roaming on ATTWS ever since I was a
Cingular customer. That's not what I was asking about. My current phones
will choose a Cingular tower (if there is a Cingular signal to be found at
all) even if an ATT tower in the area has a stronger signal. I've
experienced this first-hand. This one building I work in, my phone will
show a weak Cingular signal in certain areas of the building. If I go to
certain other areas of the same building I get a maximum signal strength
"Cingular Extend" signal showing, can place and receive calls with no
problem, and 611 tells me I'm on ATT Wireless. Or in other words, my phone
will try to use the weak Cingular signal until that disappears completely,
and then it switches over to ATT, where the signal strength is maxed.

In the area we are moving to, I haven't yet seen "Cingular Extend" pop up,
but then I've never been -quite- out of range of a Cingular tower either.
It's just a pain in the butt that the house we are thinking of buying
happens to be in the only (few square blocks) area within 5-10 miles that
has a really weak Cingular signal.

As far as "small" difference goes . . . if it would improve reception AT
HOME, but nowhere else, that would be a "small" difference that would be
significantly HELPFUL. We use our cellular phones exclusively, and don't
have a land-line. We can live with weak signal (in some areas) while away
from home, but really need a good signal AT home. -Dave

I was hoping to see an old ATTWS coverage map, but their web site just
bounces to Cingular if you try to find it. -Dave
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:55:19 PM

In <jzwick3-4354B2.03134218012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 18 Jan
2005 09:15:17 GMT, Jack "FUDMEISTER" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <iy2Hd.2579$m31.31258@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In <34vf76F42j465U1@individual.net> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:23:17 -0500, "Dave
>> C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
>>
>> >We're Cingular customers getting ready to move. Where we are moving,
>> >Cingular has a weak signal (2/5 bars). But the phones we are using do not
>> >have the 64K sims.
>>
>> 32K SIMs can freely roam on ATTWS.
>>
>> >I was hoping to find out if the 64K sims would help us.
>>
>> They will only help with an ENS phone, and even then the difference is small.
>
>We've already had posts showing MAJOR differences in some cases.

Not true. The difference has only come in a particular location, and only
from manual homing to a different network, which might well degrade
performance in other locationjs, not automatic selection of the best current
network by ENS.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:31:44 AM

Dave,
This problem will go away, probably soon. Cingular towers are transmitting
a different ID than AT&T towers. Eventually, they will all transmit the
same ID and the phones will then choose the stronger tower. The ENS phones
and 64k SIM's are, for now, a temporary fix. I have no guess how long it
will take before this is done across the entire network.

At home I'm always on Cingular Extend, but visiting family in a market with
both signals, the switching signal is really annoying. And knowing the
Cingular signal must go away completely before the AT&T signal comes in,
makes me think there are way too many places where the Cingular signal goes
away! I am not going to buy a new SIM or a new phone anytime soon, so
they need to integrate soon to keep cheapskates like me as customers.

We have the older AT&T maps posted at:

http://www.mountainwireless.com/3netmap.htm

Bill Radio

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> > 32K SIMs can freely roam on ATTWS.
> >

> > They will only help with an ENS phone, and even then the difference is
> > small.
> >

> Yes, my Cingular phone has been freely roaming on ATTWS ever since I was a
> Cingular customer. That's not what I was asking about. My current phones
> will choose a Cingular tower (if there is a Cingular signal to be found at
> all) even if an ATT tower in the area has a stronger signal. I've
> experienced this first-hand. This one building I work in, my phone will
> show a weak Cingular signal in certain areas of the building. If I go to
> certain other areas of the same building I get a maximum signal strength
> "Cingular Extend" signal showing, can place and receive calls with no
> problem, and 611 tells me I'm on ATT Wireless. Or in other words, my
phone
> will try to use the weak Cingular signal until that disappears completely,
> and then it switches over to ATT, where the signal strength is maxed.
>
> In the area we are moving to, I haven't yet seen "Cingular Extend" pop up,
> but then I've never been -quite- out of range of a Cingular tower either.
> It's just a pain in the butt that the house we are thinking of buying
> happens to be in the only (few square blocks) area within 5-10 miles that
> has a really weak Cingular signal.
>
> As far as "small" difference goes . . . if it would improve reception AT
> HOME, but nowhere else, that would be a "small" difference that would be
> significantly HELPFUL. We use our cellular phones exclusively, and don't
> have a land-line. We can live with weak signal (in some areas) while away
> from home, but really need a good signal AT home. -Dave
>
> I was hoping to see an old ATTWS coverage map, but their web site just
> bounces to Cingular if you try to find it. -Dave

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:45:00 AM

In <355f4eF4htq3gU1@individual.net> on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:58:37 -0500, "Dave
C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>> 32K SIMs can freely roam on ATTWS.
>>
>> They will only help with an ENS phone, and even then the difference is
>> small.
>
>Yes, my Cingular phone has been freely roaming on ATTWS ever since I was a
>Cingular customer.

Free roaming on all of ATTWS for Cingular subscribers was only turned on after
the merger was consummated. Prior to that time roaming on ATTWS was limited
to some specific areas.

>That's not what I was asking about. My current phones
>will choose a Cingular tower (if there is a Cingular signal to be found at
>all) even if an ATT tower in the area has a stronger signal. I've
>experienced this first-hand. This one building I work in, my phone will
>show a weak Cingular signal in certain areas of the building. If I go to
>certain other areas of the same building I get a maximum signal strength
>"Cingular Extend" signal showing, can place and receive calls with no
>problem, and 611 tells me I'm on ATT Wireless. Or in other words, my phone
>will try to use the weak Cingular signal until that disappears completely,
>and then it switches over to ATT, where the signal strength is maxed.

That's standard GSM roaming -- a GSM mobile device will always prefer the Home
network when there is a "usable" Home network signal.

>In the area we are moving to, I haven't yet seen "Cingular Extend" pop up,
>but then I've never been -quite- out of range of a Cingular tower either.
>It's just a pain in the butt that the house we are thinking of buying
>happens to be in the only (few square blocks) area within 5-10 miles that
>has a really weak Cingular signal.

GSM mobile devices differ in what constitutes a "usable" signal -- some
devices will select a Home signal that's really too weak to be usable.

>As far as "small" difference goes . . . if it would improve reception AT
>HOME, but nowhere else, that would be a "small" difference that would be
>significantly HELPFUL.

True. On the other hand, being Homed to the other network to help at home
could give poorer results in other areas.

>We use our cellular phones exclusively, and don't
>have a land-line. We can live with weak signal (in some areas) while away
>from home, but really need a good signal AT home. -Dave

Then your choices would seem to be: (1) an ATTWS SIM in an ATTWS or unlocked
phone; (2) a Cingular ENS phone with 64K SIM and manual Homing on ATTWS; or
(3) use of Dock-N-Talk when at home, perhaps with an external antenna.

January 19, 2005 5:26:29 PM

> Free roaming on all of ATTWS for Cingular subscribers was only turned on
> after
> the merger was consummated. Prior to that time roaming on ATTWS was
> limited
> to some specific areas.
>

> That's standard GSM roaming -- a GSM mobile device will always prefer the
> network when there is a "usable" Home network signal.
>
> Then your choices would seem to be: (1) an ATTWS SIM in an ATTWS or
> unlocked
> phone; (2) a Cingular ENS phone with 64K SIM and manual Homing on ATTWS;
> or
> (3) use of Dock-N-Talk when at home, perhaps with an external antenna.

That's odd. I got my Cingular handsets long before the merger was even a
rumor, travelled all over the country with it, and never found an area where
it would NOT roam freely on ATTWS.

Actually, I happened to have some time to kill in a local mall today. There
was a Cingular store with a rather bored looking rep there. I asked about
the specific address where we are moving. She pulled up a coverage map
(available to Cingular reps only, apparently?) that showed my new
neighborhood to the scale of 1 inch equals one block (roughly). Then she
overlaid all GSM networks on the same map. Unfortunately, Cingular is the
only GSM provider in the area, period. And of course, I'm going to be
living right on the edge of the usable signal area, according to Cingular's
own coverage map. So it might work, might not, but changing phones won't
help. (damn) -Dave
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 5:32:35 PM

"Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
> Dave,
> This problem will go away, probably soon. Cingular towers are
> transmitting
> a different ID than AT&T towers. Eventually, they will all transmit the
> same ID and the phones will then choose the stronger tower. The ENS
> phones
> and 64k SIM's are, for now, a temporary fix. I have no guess how long it
> will take before this is done across the entire network.
>
> At home I'm always on Cingular Extend, but visiting family in a market
> with
> both signals, the switching signal is really annoying. And knowing the
> Cingular signal must go away completely before the AT&T signal comes in,
> makes me think there are way too many places where the Cingular signal
> goes
> away! I am not going to buy a new SIM or a new phone anytime soon, so
> they need to integrate soon to keep cheapskates like me as customers.
>
> We have the older AT&T maps posted at:
>
> http://www.mountainwireless.com/3netmap.htm

That is the EXACT information I needed. Thanks. Actually, I already had
some of that information from Cingular today, but it's cool to see all the
networks on one page. It confirmed what I suspected . . . that Cingular is
my only choice. Well, Verizon covers where we are moving also, but I would
not go back to Verizon after they screwed me over so badly with billing
errors that they ADMIT were errors on their end, but refused to
orrect. -Dave
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:09:56 PM

In <10urvmhocqg6f57@corp.supernews.com> on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:31:44 -0700,
"Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote:

>Dave,
>This problem will go away, probably soon. Cingular towers are transmitting
>a different ID than AT&T towers. Eventually, they will all transmit the
>same ID and the phones will then choose the stronger tower. The ENS phones
>and 64k SIM's are, for now, a temporary fix. I have no guess how long it
>will take before this is done across the entire network.

I don't think it will be anytime soon -- Cingular must move slowly and
carefully to avoid disruption to existing customers. For example, it needs to
be sure that existing blue (ATTWS) subscribers won't be negatively impacted by
changing the network ID of existing blue towers, and it would also need a
smooth infrastructure integration of current blue with orange to ensure proper
call handoff. It's a tricky business that could result in disaster if rushed.
Otherwise why even bother with ENS.

January 19, 2005 10:55:41 PM

In <357qujF4e3a3gU1@individual.net> on Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:26:29 -0500, "Dave
C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>> Free roaming on all of ATTWS for Cingular subscribers was only turned on
>> after
>> the merger was consummated. Prior to that time roaming on ATTWS was
>> limited
>> to some specific areas.
>>
>> That's standard GSM roaming -- a GSM mobile device will always prefer the
>> network when there is a "usable" Home network signal.
>>
>> Then your choices would seem to be: (1) an ATTWS SIM in an ATTWS or
>> unlocked
>> phone; (2) a Cingular ENS phone with 64K SIM and manual Homing on ATTWS;
>> or
>> (3) use of Dock-N-Talk when at home, perhaps with an external antenna.
>
>That's odd. I got my Cingular handsets long before the merger was even a
>rumor, travelled all over the country with it, and never found an area where
>it would NOT roam freely on ATTWS.

Perhaps it's a function of your market -- that was definitely not possible for
(say) subscribers here in California.

>Actually, I happened to have some time to kill in a local mall today. There
>was a Cingular store with a rather bored looking rep there. I asked about
>the specific address where we are moving. She pulled up a coverage map
>(available to Cingular reps only, apparently?) that showed my new
>neighborhood to the scale of 1 inch equals one block (roughly).

Coverage maps are readily available on the Cingular website, albeit not to
that level of detail.

January 19, 2005 10:55:42 PM

>>Actually, I happened to have some time to kill in a local mall today.
>>There
>>was a Cingular store with a rather bored looking rep there. I asked about
>>the specific address where we are moving. She pulled up a coverage map
>>(available to Cingular reps only, apparently?) that showed my new
>>neighborhood to the scale of 1 inch equals one block (roughly).
>
> Coverage maps are readily available on the Cingular website, albeit not to
> that level of detail.

Awww, but this Cingular rep. showed me the computer monitor as she was
adjusting the various settings on the coverage map. Her options were
Cingular, "Blue", or all GSM carriers (though that's not the language used
in the program). The Cingular website doesn't show "blue" or other GSM
carriers. If it does, it doesn't show them separately. So it's not just a
level of detail difference, it is a TYPE of detail difference, also. -Dave
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:21:59 AM

In article <3580keF4g8dg3U1@individual.net>, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> >>Actually, I happened to have some time to kill in a local mall today.
> >>There
> >>was a Cingular store with a rather bored looking rep there. I asked about
> >>the specific address where we are moving. She pulled up a coverage map
> >>(available to Cingular reps only, apparently?) that showed my new
> >>neighborhood to the scale of 1 inch equals one block (roughly).
> >
> > Coverage maps are readily available on the Cingular website, albeit not to
> > that level of detail.
>
> Awww, but this Cingular rep. showed me the computer monitor as she was
> adjusting the various settings on the coverage map. Her options were
> Cingular, "Blue", or all GSM carriers (though that's not the language used
> in the program). The Cingular website doesn't show "blue" or other GSM
> carriers. If it does, it doesn't show them separately. So it's not just a
> level of detail difference, it is a TYPE of detail difference, also. -Dave

And the reason such information is not readily available to every
customer is because?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:05:02 AM

In <jzwick3-73A756.15215119012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 19 Jan
2005 21:21:59 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> > Coverage maps are readily available on the Cingular website, albeit not to
>> > that level of detail.
>>
>> Awww, but this Cingular rep. showed me the computer monitor as she was
>> adjusting the various settings on the coverage map. Her options were
>> Cingular, "Blue", or all GSM carriers (though that's not the language used
>> in the program). The Cingular website doesn't show "blue" or other GSM
>> carriers. If it does, it doesn't show them separately. So it's not just a
>> level of detail difference, it is a TYPE of detail difference, also. -Dave
>
>And the reason such information is not readily available to every
>customer is because?

It's proprietary.

January 20, 2005 2:05:03 AM

>>And the reason such information is not readily available to every
>>customer is because?
>
> It's proprietary.

And the reason such information is not readily available to every customer
is because?
January 20, 2005 2:05:04 AM

You might make an informed decision, so every vender except the best wants
to deceive you!

>>>And the reason such information is not readily available to every
>>>customer is because?
>>
>> It's proprietary.
>>

> And the reason such information is not readily available to every customer
> is because?

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:05:05 AM

"Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> You might make an informed decision, so every vender except the best wants
> to deceive you!

I take it T-mobile is the best? They are the only provider (AFAIK) that
allows you to see the coverage on the very street you live on. -Dave
January 20, 2005 3:05:03 AM

In article <3589noF4gqbs2U1@individual.net>, Dave C. <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> >>And the reason such information is not readily available to every
> >>customer is because?
> >
> > It's proprietary.
> >

> And the reason such information is not readily available to every customer
> is because?

This might be OT but t-mobile is starting that very thing.
http://compass.t-mobile.com/Compass2/MapPage.asp
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:05:04 AM

>> And the reason such information is not readily available to every
>> customer
>> is because?
>
> This might be OT but t-mobile is starting that very thing.
> http://compass.t-mobile.com/Compass2/MapPage.asp

It's not OT at all. If T-mobile can do it, why can't everybody else? -Dave
January 20, 2005 10:34:03 AM

In article <358eflF4jbh3aU1@individual.net>, Dave C. <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> "Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > You might make an informed decision, so every vender except the best wants
> > to deceive you!
> >

> I take it T-mobile is the best? They are the only provider (AFAIK) that
> allows you to see the coverage on the very street you live on. -Dave

Well, I'm happy with them, but I know that Blackberry owners are having
some considerable difficulties. Good customer service, little or no
hold time. good network in Chicago.
!