Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Transparent Desktop icons?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:06:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

All of a sudden, my desktop icons have an ugly as hell block behind the
text.

I've tried ...

1. Open the Control Panel
2. Click System
3. Click the Advanced tab
4. Click Settings in the Performance section
5. Check the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" checkbox
6. Click OK until you close the windows

and this doesn't work.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:35:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Goto the System Control Panel, Advanced, Performance settings, then click
the Visual Effects tab

Check off Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on the desktop

Also in conjunction to the above setting, right click your desktop, then
arrange icons, and make sure lock items to web desktop is not checked off


--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp


"Jim Hubbard" <reply@newsgroups.com> wrote in message
news:f9ednYSh6szY71rfRVn-hw@giganews.com...
> All of a sudden, my desktop icons have an ugly as hell block behind the
> text.
>
> I've tried ...
>
> 1. Open the Control Panel
> 2. Click System
> 3. Click the Advanced tab
> 4. Click Settings in the Performance section
> 5. Check the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" checkbox
> 6. Click OK until you close the windows
>
> and this doesn't work.
>
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:51:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Did all that.....still have the boxes behind the text.


"Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
news:o JZqVE5fFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Goto the System Control Panel, Advanced, Performance settings, then click
> the Visual Effects tab
>
> Check off Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on the desktop
>
> Also in conjunction to the above setting, right click your desktop, then
> arrange icons, and make sure lock items to web desktop is not checked off
>
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>
>
> "Jim Hubbard" <reply@newsgroups.com> wrote in message
> news:f9ednYSh6szY71rfRVn-hw@giganews.com...
>> All of a sudden, my desktop icons have an ugly as hell block behind the
>> text.
>>
>> I've tried ...
>>
>> 1. Open the Control Panel
>> 2. Click System
>> 3. Click the Advanced tab
>> 4. Click Settings in the Performance section
>> 5. Check the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" checkbox
>> 6. Click OK until you close the windows
>>
>> and this doesn't work.
>>
>
>
Related resources
July 3, 2005 4:51:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jim Hubbard wrote:

> Did all that.....still have the boxes behind the text.

Four things are required for transparent icon backgrounds:

1) System Properties>Advanced>Performance Settings>VisualEffects - check
"use drop shadows for icon labels".

2) Right-click on Desktop ->Arrange Icons by>Lock Web items must be
cleared.

3) If you have any web content on your desktop, transparency won't work.
To check for web content: Display Properties>Desktop>Customize
Desktop>Web - make sure all checkboxes are clear.

4) Wallpaper must be an image file, not html.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:03:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jim Hubbard wrote:
> All of a sudden, my desktop icons have an ugly as hell block behind the
> text.
>
> I've tried ...
>
> 1. Open the Control Panel
> 2. Click System
> 3. Click the Advanced tab
> 4. Click Settings in the Performance section
> 5. Check the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" checkbox
> 6. Click OK until you close the windows
>
> and this doesn't work.
>
>

NO...WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IS LOCKED THE DESKTOP ITEMS. UMM...YOU NEED TO
RIGHT CLICK ON DESKTOP, CLICK EFFECTS TAB AND UNDER THE VISUAL EFFECTS
SECTION YOU NEED TO UNCHECK EVERYTHING APART FROM...ANIMATE WINDOWS,
MENUS AND LISTS.
July 5, 2005 12:16:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Go to System Properties, click on the Advanced Tab. Click on the Settings
button under Performance. Note your current setting, probably the default
of 'Let Windows choose what's best for my computer'. Select 'Adjust for
best appearance'. Click Apply. Reselect 'Let Windows choose what's best
for my computer', click apply and it should be back to normal.
"Jim Hubbard" <reply@newsgroups.com> wrote in message
news:f9ednYSh6szY71rfRVn-hw@giganews.com...
> All of a sudden, my desktop icons have an ugly as hell block behind the
> text.
>
> I've tried ...
>
> 1. Open the Control Panel
> 2. Click System
> 3. Click the Advanced tab
> 4. Click Settings in the Performance section
> 5. Check the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" checkbox
> 6. Click OK until you close the windows
>
> and this doesn't work.
>
September 1, 2005 4:08:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Malke - I too had this problem... fixed it a year ago and could not remember
all of the steps to correct it... Your 4 Points were all right on... other
advise only hits on 1 or 2 of these items... my problem was your #4... my pic
was in PNG format... changed it to JPG and tada.... Thank you for a such a
complete response to Jim's question.


"Malke" wrote:

> Jim Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Did all that.....still have the boxes behind the text.
>
> Four things are required for transparent icon backgrounds:
>
> 1) System Properties>Advanced>Performance Settings>VisualEffects - check
> "use drop shadows for icon labels".
>
> 2) Right-click on Desktop ->Arrange Icons by>Lock Web items must be
> cleared.
>
> 3) If you have any web content on your desktop, transparency won't work.
> To check for web content: Display Properties>Desktop>Customize
> Desktop>Web - make sure all checkboxes are clear.
>
> 4) Wallpaper must be an image file, not html.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
>
September 1, 2005 5:45:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Joe wrote:

> Malke - I too had this problem... fixed it a year ago and could not
> remember all of the steps to correct it... Your 4 Points were all
> right on... other advise only hits on 1 or 2 of these items... my
> problem was your #4... my pic
> was in PNG format... changed it to JPG and tada.... Thank you for a
> such a complete response to Jim's question.
>
I'm happy to have helped you, Joe. Thanks for letting me know.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
May 23, 2012 7:58:57 AM

Thank you so much it helped

I tried everything you all said but nothing

What i was missing was that some link was checked on web tab
properties > deskop > customize desktop > web

and i deleted the link and now only My current homepage is the only option therein
and icon became just fine

Thanxs again

Karan
!