My hard drive seems way to hot

no.....its very hot(still not quite to the point of failure tho)....i suggest you get some kind of cooler for it.........or mount it in at 5.25(CD/DVD) bay....there are adapters for this and it should run cooler that way.....

Is there an option to place a fan in front of your drive?

so you have case front, fan then drive

Does your case have a rear fan? What case is it?

Do you have and use a floppy? if not you can take it out and leave the space above the drive. leaving the opening there may help air cool the drive it its right near that opening....this assumes you have a rear case fan pulling air out of the case.

I last ditch effort may be a hard drive cooler with a fan or 2 blowing of the bottom of the drive.

v131002jp0.jpg

This unit from Vantec may help, but i hope you have enough airflow in your case to get rid of the heat once its off the drive...once again, a rear fan is recommended...

It screws to the bottom of the drive and needs a bit of room under it(and empty hard drive slot under the drive you want to cool)....if you have room it may help and is not expensive....

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Sorry for the late reply, just would like to let you know that my hard drive is still the same heat. I haven't done much but I want to get it to cool down. I'm not changing the mounting - I use floppies occasionally.

my case is an old Dell P4 Dimension 4700. Same with my hardware (except 1.5 gb memory and a 6800)

GhostLord

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
If i remember correctly my old Maxtor 80 also displayed high temps in the 60c's. I figured that the temps was not correct because it always displayed temps that was about 20c over then the other drives that was placed right next to it.

Is it hot when you hold your hands on it?

I recomend that you check your air flows. the air should always go in at the front of the box and out at the back. If you have a mouted fan on the side of your box try setting it to suck air out. Top mounted fans should also suck air out form the box.
I hope it helps.