Unrecognised Hard drive

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I have just installed a second SATA Hard Drive and although it is recognised in the Bios and in the drvice manager section of the control panel when I go to my computer it just isnt there. I have tried to setup Vista on this drive and I get a message saying that this drive is un-allocated. How can I get this drive to be recognised so that I can use it. I am currently running XP and the MOBO is an ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE. Any help greatfully received.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Is there a drive letter in Disk Management? If not, give it one. Also, format it. Run the diagnostic/repair software from the hdd mfg website

harpert

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I just purchased a WD SATA II drive and installed it in a SATA-to-USB 2.0 enclosure I previously used for a SATA I drive. I've been editing wedding/event and industrial videos part-time on my system for the past 3 1/2 years. The data and power connections are still the same. I'm running Windows 2000. The board is pre-SATA hence the use of the SATA-to-USB 2.0 enclosure. I would have purchased a SATA I drive, but they're no longer available at the place where I purchased the drives. Disk Management in Win 2000 doesn't recognize the new SATA II drive located in that enclosure box. I'm not sure if the box is either incompatible or I need WD software to format the drive. Is there something I need to do to make the SATA II drive appear as a SATA I drive? I've been to Western Digital's site looking for any information on that. My MSI motherboard BIOS (circa 2003) might not work for drives above 320 GB. Any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS