Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard / G92 Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2007 6:52:32 AM

Hi there,
I'm looking at buying a new PC now, but had a couple of questions about my future upgrade path.
The PC I'm looking at has a NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI motherboard in it. Does anyone know if these motherboards support PCI 2.0? Also are these motherboards likely to support the G92's when they come out?
If the motherboard doesn't do PCI 2.0, but would support a G92, what sort of impact would that have on performance?
Many thanks
August 17, 2007 7:28:45 AM

These mobos don't support PCI-E 2.0. However, they will support G92 as PCI-E 2.0 will be backwards compatible. You may take a hit on performance, but I doubt it will be too big, if any, as the bandwidth provided by PCI-E will be enough for good performance.
August 17, 2007 7:29:07 AM

I don't believe there are any motherboards available that offer PCIE 2.0

Your motherboard will support G92 although, because it will be backwards compatible, which is quite nice.

The only impact on performance I can see by using 1.1 instead of 2.0 is you might not get the full performance out of your G92 GPU, it'll certainly still be faster than any other card available. But, most cards still don't use all the bandwidth of PCIE 1.1, so G92 might not use it all either.
Related resources
August 17, 2007 9:08:25 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the info!
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 17, 2007 3:59:25 PM

Actually I wouldn't worry about the performance, I doubt the G92 could tax a 16 lane PCIe slot at normal frequency, so I doubt it'd need double.

The biggest difference will be having to use an optional power connector to make up for the 75W power difference, but that should be about the same number of connectors as the GTX/Ultra currently use.
!