meese34

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Well, I've got a drive that is about 3 years old and doesn't seem to be working. The drive makes some weird noises(quiet) and it seems can no longer boot into windows. It's running on XP and when I get to the screen where it says that something has happened and give you the five options ("Load windows normally","safe mode", etc.) If you hit anyone of those options it either hangs or tries to do something and then restarts. I plugged it into my other computer and it still couldn't load by itself. When I used another drive to boot into windows, it shows the presumed non working drive and I can go into it and looks at files. The noises it makes go in 2 sets of 3 with a pause in between ( * * * - * * * ) and then it pauses for a bit longer and repeats.

Any ideas?

**It's a Hitachi Deskstar

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
That my friend is the hard drive's click of death. That clicking is the hard drive head reseeking a location hoping it'll read the sector correctly this time. Time to RMA your drive if it is under warranty and back up your data while you can.