Re-install XP Pro

To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
(Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?

ross
5 answers Last reply
More about install

    Greetings agrajag99,

    Have you tried checking the CD for scratches or any damages. Try using the
    CD on a different computer and repeat the same process. If it works, then
    there might be something wrong with your CD ROM drive. However, if it
    doesn't work, there might be a problem with your hard disk.

    Best of Luck,
    Jose Francisco
    www.xpsource.com

    "agrajag99" <agrajag99@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
    > (Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
    > programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
    > from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
    > is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
    > and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
    > Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
    > First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
    > Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
    > CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
    > the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
    > VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
    > the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
    > Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?
    >
    > ross

    I think your SP1 vs. SP2 theory sounds pretty good. You can test it by
    reformatting the partition.

    agrajag99 wrote:
    > To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
    > (Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
    > programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
    > from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
    > is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
    > and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
    > Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
    > First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
    > Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
    > CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
    > the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
    > VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
    > the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
    > Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?
    >
    > ross

    It sounds like either flaky RAM or hard drive problems.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    In message <4m3fc19ael0iddh4cjep6eudsbk60led27@4ax.com>, agrajag99
    <agrajag99@notmail.com> writes
    >To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
    >(Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
    >programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
    >from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
    >is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
    >and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
    >Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
    >First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
    >Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
    >CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
    >the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
    >VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
    >the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
    >Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?
    I tried to a repair install XP Home with original disc and got the
    message that there is a later version on the system, presumably because
    it assumes SP2 is a complete later version. I would have thought that
    with a clean reinstall this wouldn't happen because it offers to format
    the HD.
    --
    Denis Scadeng
    scadeng@burdon.demon.co.uk

    Denis Scadeng wrote:

    > In message <4m3fc19ael0iddh4cjep6eudsbk60led27@4ax.com>, agrajag99
    > <agrajag99@notmail.com> writes
    >>To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
    >>(Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
    >>programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
    >>from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
    >>is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
    >>and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
    >>Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
    >>First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
    >>Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
    >>CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
    >>the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
    >>VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
    >>the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
    >>Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?
    > I tried to a repair install XP Home with original disc and got the
    > message that there is a later version on the system, presumably
    > because it assumes SP2 is a complete later version. I would have
    > thought that with a clean reinstall this wouldn't happen because it
    > offers to format the HD.

    It will work:

    1. Boot with the XP cd.
    2. Take Install.
    3. Delete the system partition (if you have more than one). You'll get a
    warning, but go ahead and do it anyway.
    4. Create a new partition.
    5. Install Windows on that new partition and choose NTFS for the format.

    HTH,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers