Re-install XP Pro

July 3, 2005 9:23:00 PM

To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
(Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?

ross

More about : install pro

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:23:01 PM

Greetings agrajag99,

Have you tried checking the CD for scratches or any damages. Try using the
CD on a different computer and repeat the same process. If it works, then
there might be something wrong with your CD ROM drive. However, if it
doesn't work, there might be a problem with your hard disk.

Best of Luck,
Jose Francisco
www.xpsource.com

"agrajag99" <agrajag99@notmail.com> wrote in message
> To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
> (Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
> programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
> from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
> is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
> and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
> Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
> First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
> Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
> CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
> the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
> VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
> the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
> Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?
>
> ross
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:06:09 PM

I think your SP1 vs. SP2 theory sounds pretty good. You can test it by
reformatting the partition.

agrajag99 wrote:
> To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
> (Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
> programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
> from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
> is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
> and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
> Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
> First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
> Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
> CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
> the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
> VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
> the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
> Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?
>
> ross
July 5, 2005 12:53:08 AM

It sounds like either flaky RAM or hard drive problems.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"agrajag99" <agrajag99@notmail.com> wrote in message
> To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
> (Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
> programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
> from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
> is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
> and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
> Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
> First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
> Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
> CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
> the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
> VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
> the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
> Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?
>
> ross
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:49:21 PM

In message <4m3fc19ael0iddh4cjep6eudsbk60led27@4ax.com>, agrajag99
<agrajag99@notmail.com> writes
>To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
>(Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
>programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
>from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
>is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
>and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
>Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
>First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
>Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
>CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
>the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
>VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
>the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
>Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?
I tried to a repair install XP Home with original disc and got the
message that there is a later version on the system, presumably because
it assumes SP2 is a complete later version. I would have thought that
with a clean reinstall this wouldn't happen because it offers to format
the HD.
--
Denis Scadeng
scadeng@burdon.demon.co.uk

Denis Scadeng wrote:

> In message <4m3fc19ael0iddh4cjep6eudsbk60led27@4ax.com>, agrajag99
> <agrajag99@notmail.com> writes
>>To clear out all the accumulated junk etc I wish to re-install XP Pro
>>(Academic Upgrade) to its original partition and start afresh. All
>>programs are backed up and ready for re-install. BIOS is set to boot
>>from CD ROM. When I start I get the message along the lines of "Setup
>>is inspecting your hardware" then it stops loading. Power light is on
>>and the HD light is on constantly but I dont think the disk spins.
>>Setup is HD0 80gig partitioned to 2x40 gig partitions
>>First partition XP Pro, second is Xandros Pro
>>Second HD - HD1 40gig single partition XP Home. Could it be that the
>>CDROM install disk is not accepted because currently XPPro is SP2 and
>>the disc is only SP1? I have noticed when trying to install OSes via
>>VMware the message shown says something like "Install OS is older than
>>the current OS- Set-up will be disabled!"
>>Can anyone put me on the right path for this re-install please?
> I tried to a repair install XP Home with original disc and got the
> message that there is a later version on the system, presumably
> because it assumes SP2 is a complete later version. I would have
> thought that with a clean reinstall this wouldn't happen because it
> offers to format the HD.

It will work:

1. Boot with the XP cd.
2. Take Install.
3. Delete the system partition (if you have more than one). You'll get a
warning, but go ahead and do it anyway.
4. Create a new partition.
5. Install Windows on that new partition and choose NTFS for the format.

HTH,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers