john289

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hi, I'm new to the forum, not new to computers but know nothing about Sata. I have a new Western Digital 500 Gig Mybook Premium Es external drive for USB II/Sata. My current system is an Intel P4 D865PERL motherboard with 2 Gig Ram, 3.4 Ghz Processor and 200 Gig Maxtor IDE internal. There are two Sata/Raid ports on the M/B. The Sata has never been used on my board before. I installed a 2 port Sata extension from the M/B to the back of case. Can anyone tell me how to configure my system to recognize this drive?

The drive works fine on USB II.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
The external interfaces on that drive are USB and eSATA, not SATA. eSATA is the external version of SATA.

The Intel D865PERL is an older motherboard, and as such, it's SATA ports do not support eSATA, even with the adapter bracket (there are some subtle electrical differences).

To use this external drive with this motherboard, you'll have to use USB2, or you can get a PCI eSATA card.

john289

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thanks for the response, I didn't realize there was a difference other than being internal and external. I've been messing with this for several days and was getting nowhere. If I use a PCI eSATA card will I gain enough of a speed advantageover the USB2 I'm using now?

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Yes, there will be a speed increase. USB2 on external drives tends to top out at 28-30 MB/sec due to USB overhead. eSATA can go up to the limit of the external enclosure, which is usually the limit of the drive, which should be in the 60-70 MB/sec range.

john289

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Paul, you are right, my M/B only supports 150MB second. I enabled my sata in the bios and then Windows wanted my raid drivers installed. I installed them but to no avail. when I connect the eSATA I see my system trying to deal with it but ultimately it just ignores the drive completely even though the driver shows up in device manager. I (maybe stupidly) thought the SATA speeds would be backward compatible like USB.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
(3) the only subtle electrical issue I am aware of
with eSATA connectors is that the ground circuit
makes the initial contact, to discharge any accumulated
static; then, as you continue pushing the connector inwards,
the signal pins make contact AFTER the ground circuit
has discharged any static build-up; this is a "hot swap"
requirement;

Yes, but that is not the only electrical difference.

eSATA requires compatibility at the controller because the low specification of voltage for a high signal is higher, and the high specification for a low signal is lower (i.e. requirements for voltage threshholds are tighter than standard SATA). This is required to ensure signal propagation across the longer (2m) eSATA cables.

The BIOS settings and brackets won't help him - the Intel D865PERL SATA controller does not conform to this spec, and will never properly communicate with an eSATA device through an eSATA cable.

That's why I posted earlier in the thread that he needs to use USB2 or get a PCI card with an eSATA interface.

john289

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
More dumb questions? I looked at the TX4310 and I don't see any eSata connectors. Would I plug my Sata to eSata extension into it to get outside my case? As I read specs on the card all that is talked about is Raid, Sata and Sata II. There is no mention of eSata.

I use my PC for personal business and photo as a hobby, but am getting into video now. I see myself replacing this motherboard in the next 12 to 18 months. Are the new boards coming out still providing PCI Bus slots or will this card become obsolete. If I'm looking at short term use I may just live with the USB II for now.

Thanks for all the information you guys have been a great help.