Sign in with
Your question

478 socket heat sink mod help needed

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 8, 2007 10:51:20 AM

I am trying to put an intel d865GLC motherboard inside an HP pavilion case, but the stock HSF will not fit with the cd drive in the way, so I am trying to find a way to mod the heat sink fan assembly somehow to fit..

Any advice is welcome.
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2007 11:06:13 AM

Rather than mod the HSF I would remove the CD cage as it looks like it may interfere with the RAM modules, then either relocate the CD drive elsewhere in the case or run it externally.
August 8, 2007 11:09:12 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Rather than mod the HSF I would remove the CD cage as it looks like it may interfere with the RAM modules, then either relocate the CD drive elsewhere in the case or run it externally.

You are right about it interfering with the RAM modules, and I already clipped them so that there isn't pressure on them 24/7.

I was thinking of putting the CD drive at the bottom and cutting to front, or running it externally as well, but it would be a lot easier to just try and mod/make/find parts to keep everything the way it is.

If it gets too hard I will probably take your and my advice and just move the CD drive to the bottom and get a CD drive bay hard drive cooler.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2007 11:26:53 AM

Moving the CD to the bottom and fitting some fans where it used to be would probably be better and tidier than running it externally.
August 8, 2007 11:29:28 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Moving the CD to the bottom and fitting some fans where it used to be would probably be better and tidier than running it externally.

Well I have an external case around here somewhere. It's called a que fire or something. I just need the power cable for it. Plus, I'm sure they have external cases for CD drives anyway.
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2007 11:46:38 AM

I've seen hard drive enclosures but not CD drive enclosures so happy hunting on that. I wish you all the best with your modding. :) 
!