Help choose my processor

docta13

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
I'm about to order an HP DV6000t laptop, and I need to decide which processor would be ideal. I won't be using this for heavy gaming or video-editing...mostly everyday surfing, student work, and managing my music collection. Here are the choices HP gives me:

1) Intel® Celeron® M Processor 520 (1.6 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) Included in Price
2) Intel® Pentium® dual core processor T2130 (1.86 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) +$75
3) Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2450 (2.0 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) +$100
4) Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5300 (1.73 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) +$170

Also, the system ships with Vista Premium, but I have a new copy of XP Pro that I might use instead. I'm thinking by using XP it'll cut down on resource usage as well put less strain on the 1GB of RAM I'll have on this laptop. As well as your opinions on which processor suits my needs best, do people think it would be a better performing system to wipe the HD and use XP instead?

Thanks!

docta13

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007

I would like to go all out with CPU and RAM, but I'm trying to keep budget in mind...as this is not my primary computer either. I just want to know if XP + 1GB RAM + (blank) processor would work well.

I'm leaning towards option #2 right now...

lfranklin

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
To answer docta13's question (So would option #3 + 1GB RAM + Vista Premium work well? Or do you feel I'll want to move to XP?)

NO!!! That setup would run well for XP, but you will hurt on Vista. For Vista, I advise no less than 2Gigs.

Judging from what you state you want to do with this, you might be better served with the most extreme battery life you can get. Hence, the lesser the processor would work for you on XP.

docta13

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007

No I am open to other suggestions (I've also looked at Dell). With discounts and specials, you seem to get more for your money with HP. I've also had good luck with my current HP laptop. Any other suggestions are welcome though.

My goal is to keep my total purchase under $700.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
My personal recommendation is http://outlet.dell.com

If possible get an onsite warranty.

Why do I recommend this?

1) Outlet Laptops are cheaper than new by a little but but they are as good as new.

2) The Onsite warranty is great. Techs tend to come to where ever you are within 2days. Call Day 1. Part is overnighted to Local Tech Company that Day. Part Arrives Day 2. Tech company is there Day 2 for first thing Day 3.

Read the warranty options with HP.
You must send the stuff to them and you may be without your laptop for weeks.

Warranty is also key for laptops because they get far far more beat up than a desktop.