S.O.S.!!! Experts needed!
My current system:
E6600 @ stock with Zalman CNPS 9500
ASUS P5N32-E SLI
Corsair 2X1024 PC2-6400 EPP @ stock
PNY 8800GTX
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W PSU
XP Home

My system was running fine when I first built it with an Ultra V series 500W PSU, but had to take it down cause my 500W PSU couldn't handle my 8800GTX. I've upgraded my PSU to the Thermaltake 600W, but it will not post. I don't hear the "beep" sound or even see it power the keyboard or mouse.

I've checked and rechecked my 24pin connector; the 4pin and then the 8pin next; I've double checked my cpu with a P4 661 cause I thought it might be my E6600. I've used my dual channel ram one at a time plus my spare PC2-5400 I have laying around and even tried it in slots 2 and 4; I've tried swapping the 600W back to the 500W PSU but still won't post.

I'm beginning to think it could be the motherboard, but I'm not sure. Anyone with ideas are welcomed to respond and help out a downed gamer.

Thanks again...

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
What other signs of power are there? Do your fans spin? Also, on your motherboard somewhere, there should be an L.E.D. of some sort that will light up if the board is getting power. does it? Just want to make sure it is not your powersupply.

If the fans aren't spinning, then it might be the powersupply.

If the fans work, and there is no light on the board then the mobo might be dead. Don't know what case you are using but make sure you only have the risers installed where there are screw holes on the mobo. If there are extras installed, one might be shorting out the board.

On a side thought, if you are getting absolutely no power, maybe the switch on the case is bad or you have it on the wrong pins. Try shorting out the two pins on the mobo and see if it powers on.

That's all I can think of for now. Hopefully others will have more ideas. I hate it when a new part is defective. I'll cross my fingers for you that it is something simple :)

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well I would have to say,,,,try another power supply.There may be something wrong with the new one.You said it worked with the other psu,but when you put in a new one it would not boot.Try a different psu,if the problem persists,let us know.Also double check each and every connection for the mother board and video card.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32 SLI DELUXE MB
ATHLON64 X2-5600+
EVGA 7950GT KO
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
2X1GIG DDR2 800 MEMORY
WD SATA2 80/250GIG HD
RAIDMAX SMILIDON GAMING CASE
XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION

Game_Fanatik

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
To Jedi940, my fans do light up along with the "power standby" in the PCI areas. My apologies for not including that. My mind was typing faster than my fingers could. I've troubleshooted the new psu and it does work fine with my other computer. The case I have for this gaming rig is a mid tower Thermaltake Tsunami. I haven't thought about any of the mobo risers shorting out the system. I will give this a try. Thanks a million and I'll keep you posted.

To Dahak, I did go this route using my 500W Ultra and it still didn't post. All the fans work plus the standby light to let you know the mobo is getting power does light up. I will try taking out some of the mobo screws like Jedi said. Come to think of it, I did notice some soldering on some of the areas around the screws. It probably is grounding it out. But I will keep you guys posted.

Many thanks for your quick response!!! Gotta get back to work.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
It's a long shot that the case switch is bad but did you try shorting the two pins on the mobo where you hoop up the power switch - just to eliminate that as a possible problem. If that doesn't help, and there doesn't seem to be anything shorting out the mobo from underneath. I would say that the mobo is bad :(

If you think that something may be shorting out the mobo, you can hook it up outside your case to test it. Just make sure to put it on a non-metal surface like the box it came in or on top of the anti-static plastic it was wrapped in.

Game_Fanatik

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
To Jedi940 and Dahak: I finally got to working on my system following a family emergency.

JediNight, I thank you for your attention to the mobo screws. I missed installing 1 of the 9 screws. I think this could've been the problem. Do you think the mobo needs all 9 screws to operate? Kinda iffy for me. Do you also think it might have been a "grounding" issue for this mobo? You then noted about the mobo screws on your 1st reply. So I installed the 9th screw and the system posted just fine. I swear I didn't touch anything else. So the computer posted and I've now installed a fresh copy of XP Pro and Vista Home Premium (for the newer games).

However, I did try turning it on outside of the case on my first attempt and it didn't work. So I decided on my 2nd attempt to put in inside the case, and it still didn't work. That's when I decided to swap my old Thermaltake 600W psu with my Ultra 500W psu, but still didn't post. I then swapped my E6600 with my P4 661, but still didn't post. I tried my two pairs of ram, and then one by one, but still didn't post.

And no, I didn't try shorting the two pins. I'm still a newbie at pc repair and maintenance, and a little intimidated. Anyway, it's a new system and I spent quite a lot on the hardware so I'm holding back.

Thanks to both of you!!! Happy Gaming!!!

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Glad to hear it!!! I was more concerned about one of the risers being installed where it shouldn't have been than one missing. o well, the important thing is that it is working now. Happy gaming to you as well :)