PSU to weak for a 2900XT?

ThE - DuTcHiE

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
First of all, Hi everybody! :hello:
I have a question about my reasently bought Sapphire HD2900XT, because I had quiet a lot of issues with it in performance.
I have a Antec Smartpower 500watt powersupply, is this enough for the card (with all the amps and stuff).
Here's a link to the psu info: http://www.antec.com/specs/SP500_spe.html

Thank you,

Well this is the official lowdown.

PCI Express based PC is required with one dual-width X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
Connection to 550 Watt (750 for CrossFire) or greater power supply with two 2x3-pin PCIe power connectors is required.
For enhanced performance with ATI Overdrive, a power supply with one 2x3-pin and one 2x4-pin PCIe power connector is required
Certified power supplies are strongly recommended
Certified system cases with good airflow and cooling are recommended

So going on that it looks like you will need another power supply but its all about amps on the 12volt rails really so im not sure,it could be that you could get away with it as they tend to be on the cautious side and they are talking whole system and not just the card.
I will have a dig and see if i can find out the amp requirements :)
Mactronix

ThE - DuTcHiE

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Thanks mate! :)
I allready quickly looked for a new power supply if I really have to, and I came out with the Be Quiet Straight Power, 700 Watt.
Is that a good one?

Also perhaps good info, one of the pci-e connectors is coming directly from my psu and the other one comes from adapters from molex cables (because I have just one pci-e cable that comes directly from my psu).

cleeve

Illustrious
What kind of issues?

A good 500w should run a 2900XT, a bad one might have crashing issues.

But unless it's crashing, it's rarely the PSU. It can happen, but it's pretty rare.

ThE - DuTcHiE

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Well, i know some guys on other forums with a 2900xt and a slower cpu (i have a AMD X2 6000) and they play DiRT with the opponent races very smooth, and I just have 20 fps orso.

ThE - DuTcHiE

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

No I dont think so, except for the standard Vista things.

I have 2gb DDR2

Could it also be a faulty videocard?

ThE - DuTcHiE

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Nope, they also used Vista.
One other guy was using XP but there wasnt any huge improvement

cleeve

Illustrious
Do you have any hard data.. like did you and yourr friend use FRAPS to see their framerates in DiRT?

Are you sure you're running the same resolution/eye candy settings as your buddy?

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well, for those who don't know and I would say to you your 500 watt supply will not be enough. I would need to know a few things. First, is it a single rail, double rail, or a psu with even more rails. I found a painfully interesting fact about power supplies out.

First who cares what they say about wattage. You are going to need something more than a 500 watter and I tell you I'm going with a silencer750 from pcpowerandcooling. First off they use a single rail unlike my 550 watt ultra which has always been good. However, after the computer being on all day it doesn't sound good when I fire up a 3d intense game.

It is going to require 30amps on the 12v rail assuming that you have a full system load. Now if you are right on that hair line then you, at least in my opinion, will want a new psu because it will not be very efficient and the new games coming out are going to use the full capabilities of your cpu unlike previous games. 500 watt supplies are right around 30 amps however some are just shy around 27-28 amps and the dude earlier said it correctly, it's all about your amps. PCPOWERANDCOOLING has a section about dispelling the myths about powersupplies, check it out at their website pcpowerandcooling.com

ThE - DuTcHiE

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, we used fraps. We both had the very same settings: Balanced in catalyst, and the automatic ultra settings in dirt, wich both gave us the very same settings.

I think, if I understand correctly, it is a psu with more rails. One big bunch of cables is coming right out the psu, that's the 24pin mainboard connector, and then there are four 6pin connectors (three are being used).

Thanks for all the help so far guys! :D

ThE - DuTcHiE

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
UPDATE I was just playing Rainbow Six Vegas, and I alt-tabbed to the desktop and I just thought that i'd give Everest a go and see the temperatures. The temps are all fine, but what stunned me was that the GPU VRM Value was 55.16 A.
Does this mean that it uses 55 amps? I dont think so, right?