Samsung 245BW?...

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I decided to get a 24" Widescreen monitor for my bedroom for watching movies and TV series, working and playing a few games occasionally.

Unfortunately, I live in Brazil and we have little access to high-end gear. I originally wanted a Samsung 244T, but the store I usually buy from told me Samsung has stopped selling those (which is probably not correct) and he cannot get one of those.
Instead, he offered me a Samsung 245BW, which is a newer model, but is based on a 6-bit TN Panel. This is the only 24 inch monitor he has access to.

I'm thinking about other stores, but I was tempted on that 245BW. Its price is very attractive! But I'm worried that it´ll be no good when watching movies because of the poor viewing angles. What I could do is wait for the 245T to be launched, but the 245T is late and there's still no indication on availability in the US, let alone here in Brazil.

What should I do? Should I simply get the 245BW at its attractive price or should I get a better panel? I'm still thinking about where I can get a 244T.

I already own a X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card and Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers, so I wanted this screen to make the watching-a-movie experience much better. (I'm currently using a much cheaper 17" LG CRT).

Please help! Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone here actually own a 245BW??

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I've been to this store nearby where they have a lot of LCDs working side-by-side. They happened to have a 215TW and 206BW next to each other and the TN panel really got its *** kicked by the 215TW.

I can actually get the 215TW cheaper than the 245BW. From what I've seen, it would probably be better. Plus, I don't really have the hardware to power a 1920x1200 resolution in games! So I'm leaning towards the 215TW.