Mouse and Keyboard unresponsive upon boot to XP

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I just installed a drive from my old work computer into my home computer. At home I run Windows 7 Pro 64. The work one is Windows XP Pro 32. I get to the screen where you need to select a user, but neither my mouse nor keyboard will work at all. Ive tried a different mouse and an old PS/2 keyboard. Nothing.

My work computer was hooked up to a network, but I dont believe it was networked controlled login, just windows controlled login. Either way, my mouse and keyboard should work. I used the same mouse at work as at home, so not a driver issue there. Both had nvidia vid cards, both were nvidia 775 mobos (650i at work, 680i at home), so shouldnt be a huge driver issue there.

Just a little stumped on it. Keyboard works in BIOS.

Thanks,
Z

G

I have this exact same problem! really stumped as I really need to get XP working due to a firewire device I have that I can't get to work with Windows 7. Please someone help!

G

nope, that doesnt work. I've pretty much tried all the simple stuff I think its to do with its XP running from a different motherboard/usb ports or something like that

G

thing is, how can i install these drivers onto windows XP when I can only access windows 7? I tried putting my motherboard driver CD in but when you click install theres no option on location, it just reinstalls them automatically to windows 7.

I was thinking about maybe if i went to C:/Windows/Drivers and just copy and pasted everything to D:/Windows/Drivers? don't really know what I'm doing though
worried i might mess up XP even worse tho :S

G

sorry to hijack your thread by the way billin30! we have pretty much the same problem though so if mine gets sorted it'll prob be the same solution for you :)