Sign in with
Your question

New guy, needs much help. =)

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2007 5:36:40 AM

To start things off, let me introduce myself. I'm Jawelik, and I'm new to the board. I have joined because though I have built a few computers in the past, my knowledge is quite dated now, and I've never really built anything very involved. Now I'm building a custom gaming machine piece by piece, as much for the experience as the desire to have an powerful computer.

I'll probably post regularly, if preferred, I'll use this one thread. Most of my questions will involve which components are the best. I try to do my research before buying anything these days, so hopefully I'll be able to retrieve useful advice here.

Now as I said, I'm working towards a high end system, with all the gaming bells and whistles. My main goal is to be able to play most games with high system requirements, and be able to turn the settings all the way up. Also I want my system to be very upgradeable, so I'm thinking I'll need a good power supply that will last me, and also a decent mainboard with plenty of RAM and PCI slots. I'm in no particular hurry to get it done though, its hopefully going to be a very educational project for me. Might even try some of the SLI stuff I've been reading about.

Anyway, so far I've only got a case, a good ATX case with plenty of drive slots, and my next purchase is going to be the Power Supply. I've done some browsing, and read some other threads and articles, and have actually learned a bit about PSUs while I've done it. Didn't know they were _that_ important. I mean quality wise.

Anyway, now knowing what I know, I'm willing to fork out the extra cash for a decent one. So far I think I have my choice at the PC Power and Cooling range. They're aparently one of the best, but be sure to tell me if I'm wrong. What model should I buy for the system I want to build? Not sure about the full specs of my system yet, but its definitely going to be an AMD system, with a top of the line GeForce graphics card. Please enlighten the out of date computer geek.

I look forward to reading your replies, and am happy to be part of the community. Later.

More about : guy

August 8, 2007 7:22:17 AM

Jonnyguru.com is one of the best sites for power supply knowledge.
August 8, 2007 7:24:31 AM

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad PCI-E 750W Power Supply

Single rail at 60A. It will power anything(almost) that you throw at it - including SLI 8800 GTXs.
Related resources
August 8, 2007 9:11:55 AM

ffchocobo said:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad PCI-E 750W Power Supply

Single rail at 60A. It will power anything(almost) that you throw at it - including SLI 8800 GTXs.

Thanks a lot, friend. I think that will be my selection actually, should last me a good while hopefully. That is now on the top of my list of things to buy. After I've bought it and installed it, I'll probably post here again for advice on my next component. Once again, thanks. Much appreciated. =)

-Jawelik
August 13, 2007 7:35:08 AM

Hi, its Jawelik again. =) Been searching a bunch of the local computer stores here in New Zealand, and PC Power and Cooling range seems a little hard to get your hands on here for some reason. *shrug* I would have to order it on line and pay the postage and handling costs. When on the other hand there's a store right over the road from me, that can sell me Corsair 620W HX Series Modular PSU, for quite bit cheaper than the one I was looking at. I hear corsair make damn good PSU too, can anyone please give me thier opinions on that? I'll be buying it in a few days, so some more feedback from those vastly more experienced than I would be appreciated. ^_^ Thanks.

-Jawelik
August 13, 2007 7:45:23 AM

Jawelik said:
Hi, its Jawelik again. =) Been searching a bunch of the local computer stores here in New Zealand, and PC Power and Cooling range seems a little hard to get your hands on here for some reason. *shrug* I would have to order it on line and pay the postage and handling costs. When on the other hand there's a store right over the road from me, that can sell me Corsair 620W HX Series Modular PSU, for quite bit cheaper than the one I was looking at. I hear corsair make damn good PSU too, can anyone please give me thier opinions on that? I'll be buying it in a few days, so some more feedback from those vastly more experienced than I would be appreciated. ^_^ Thanks.

-Jawelik

Can't get pcp&c here in AUS either... How's your availability for silverstone? I'd put them right up there.... And we can get them in AUS.
August 13, 2007 7:58:22 AM

croc said:
Can't get pcp&c here in AUS either... How's your availability for silverstone? I'd put them right up there.... And we can get them in AUS.

I vaguely remember someone at a computer store mentioning Silverstone at one point, I might check again. But is Corsair any good? Or can I do much better?

-Jawelik
August 13, 2007 11:42:30 AM

what is the budget? is just high end or is it a MONSTER that you are trying to build here?
August 13, 2007 12:47:57 PM

If you go SLI make sure the power supply is SLI ready - your graphics cards will require 4 power inputs which is why SLI ready is good to have.

a b B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2007 1:42:48 PM

Jawelik said:
I vaguely remember someone at a computer store mentioning Silverstone at one point, I might check again. But is Corsair any good? Or can I do much better?

-Jawelik

The Corsair 620HX is excellent, and it will do very nicely for a system with one 8800 GTX. Go for it...
You can't do much better than the 620HX. You can do a little better, with the PC Power & Cooling Silencer (86% efficiency, world record AFAIK), but at a higher cost. I wouldn't bother, especially if it's hard to get it there.

August 13, 2007 7:20:22 PM

Thanks. I read a pretty promising review for it at jonnyguru.com, and that guy apparently really knows his stuff, PSU-wise. I'm definitely going for the Corsair model; its good quality, seems to have everything I will need, and its sold right across the street. ^_^ Purchase after that is the monitor. I've already made a selection, which will take me a while to get the money together for. Tell me if there's anything much better for a gaming PC, that won't cost me an arm and a leg. =P I'm buying a ViewSonic VX922 Widescreen LCD, which had a 2ms Response time. I hear thats best for a gaming PC. Educate me if I'm wrong though. Later.

-Jawelik
a b B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2007 7:39:19 PM

Viewsonic and Samsung are the best brands as far as I know, and 2ms is great (I only have one with 5 ms). Sounds good. However, 19" usually means 1440x900 or so, you can do better.

Personally, I went with 1680x1050. I get fewer fps this way from my 8800 GTX but still plenty, and the additional pixels are very useful, for example if I surf the Web and watch a movie at the same time. Your choice. I think a 22" widescreen with 1680x1050 is worth the cost.

For example, right now at a store in my city (Future Shop), I can get one of these:
Samsung 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor (920NW) CAD$200
Samsung 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor (226BW) CAD$350
I would get the more expensive one, at these prices. Quality is very similar, I think.

For example, can you find this one where you live? How much does it cost?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116059
August 13, 2007 10:40:19 PM

I noticed you mentioned in your original post that you're building a top-shelf rig......so why are you using a AMD processor?
I'm using a AMD 5200+ in my gamer and it's a SMOKIN' Gun, but if could start over i would choose Intel simply because it is more power efficient (runs cooler) and galaxies faster than the AMD.
My system includes 2Gigs of RAM, ASUS M2N32 SLI deluxe mobo and EVGA 8800GTS graphics.
I recently scored 8482 when i benchmarked, which is 84% better than any other system so it's not a average PC by any means but it could be better and the INTEL is the key.
On a side note, the Corsair or silverstone PSU will serve you well.
Regards, George
August 14, 2007 8:07:32 AM

mad-dog said:
I noticed you mentioned in your original post that you're building a top-shelf rig......so why are you using a AMD processor?
I'm using a AMD 5200+ in my gamer and it's a SMOKIN' Gun, but if could start over i would choose Intel simply because it is more power efficient (runs cooler) and galaxies faster than the AMD.
My system includes 2Gigs of RAM, ASUS M2N32 SLI deluxe mobo and EVGA 8800GTS graphics.
I recently scored 8482 when i benchmarked, which is 84% better than any other system so it's not a average PC by any means but it could be better and the INTEL is the key.
On a side note, the Corsair or silverstone PSU will serve you well.
Regards, George

Thanks for the tip. I'll make a note to look more indepth into the pros and cons of Intel versus AMD when I start looking at mainboards and CPUs. I hear good things about both, so I'll try and keep on top of the technology during this 'computer building project'.

As for monitors, I've been told if I get a really nice 8800GTX video card, that a good monitor is really a plus. Is a 5ms response time really enough? It seems I have to choose between the larger size screen at 5ms, or the superior 2ms response time on a 19". Can someone offer me thier experience on this issue? Thanks.

-Jawelik
!