Sign in with
Your question

Ga-p35c-ds3r dead?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 20, 2007 9:42:13 AM

Ive searched and tried every option I could find on these boards. Nothing has helped. Im not sure what exatly happened to my new comp.

Gigabyte P35c-DS3r
Intel Q6600 @ Stock
2g Crucial Ballistix @ stock
EVGA 8800gtx @ Stock
SB-Xfi Extremegamer
WD 150g Raptor
Cosair 620w PSU

Heres what happened. I had been using the computer all day with no problems. I decided to reorganize my wiring inside my case. I changed two sata cables ( 2 of the same cables, just different colors ) plugged my DvD drive and HD into the same sata power cable and tucked some wires away. I made sure that I didnt cut,expose any wiring so thats not the problem. It powered up just fine. What happened was I went to open a program later on in the day and every thing suddenly froze. No problem, i'll just hard reboot with the power switch. Problem is, it didnt reboot. It just kept powering up briefly for about 3-5 secs then rebooting. No post screen, nothing. All the fans would come on then just turn off. It would do this untill I unplugged it, or held the power button in to turn it off.

I tried clearing the Cmos and removing the cmos battery, but that didnt work either.

I did notice one thing. the fan to the video card would try to turn on, but didnt. But even if I removed my video card, it would still do the same thing as before. I was going to test some of the parts on my other comp, but the parts were too new and would not work with my old comp.

Im not sure if its my motherboard or some thing else. I thought this was as good a place to start as any. Any suggestions?

More about : p35c ds3r dead

August 20, 2007 11:15:58 AM

power supply possibly
August 20, 2007 12:39:33 PM

I had the same thing happen when I had a bad stick of ram on a GA-P965-DS3 board. Even after I removed the bad ram, never rebooted again. Tech support said the bios was wiped.
Related resources
August 20, 2007 4:36:16 PM

I have the same problem exactly, but mine arose when I flashed the bios from F2 to F4g. The BIOS flashed successfully, loaded into Windows XP, then shortly thereafter, rebooted and kept rebooting every three seconds, much like yours. I noticed that we have the same processor, memory, and type of video card. Keep us posted if you find anything. Also I've been searching around, and we're not the only ones with this problem with this board, it seems to pop up quite often, hopefully Gigabyte can solve this problem. I want to see if there is a fix before I RMA. Have tried clearing CMOS, removing components, nothing works. My power supply works, I removed and checked in another system.
August 20, 2007 7:17:23 PM

I dont think its the power supply because it powers up and turns on the fans. But then again, Im not positive. Im thinking its either the Ram or the MB.

One thing I didnt mention was that I had the timings on my ram set to manual in the bios. But they were set to the stock speeds for the ram. 5,5,5,15. It ran fine at these settings until the program crashed in windows.

If the bios is wiped, is there any way to reload it?

I may just have to take some of my parts out to a local computer store and have them test them. I cant test them myself because the parts are newer and wont work in my older computer.
August 21, 2007 6:51:38 AM

BtK, have you found the problem? I have the exact same issue. I have returned my brand new Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard to the reseller for a warranty claim only after two days use. Setup the PC without a hitch, then went to reorganize my wiring inside my case, unplugged two SATA cables to that I could tie power cables with Velcro straps. Powered up, every thing suddenly froze. Attempted to access the BIOS - froze up. Cleared Cmos using both methods described by the manufacturer, removing the battery for one minute, and bridging the two battery terminals for five seconds. No post screen, nothing. All the fans would come on then just turn off. It would do this until I unplugged it, or held the power button in to turn it off. The fan to the video card ran, the CPU would try to turn on, but didn’t. Unlike you I do have another PC able to support all the same, components, swapped everything, all worked well. The only conclusion I reached is the motherboard. Apparently, the reseller came to the same conclusion and has requested a replacement from Gigabyte - due to be sent to me in the next few days.
August 21, 2007 3:40:16 PM

gjn said:
BtK, have you found the problem? I have the exact same issue. I have returned my brand new Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard to the reseller for a warranty claim only after two days use. Setup the PC without a hitch, then went to reorganize my wiring inside my case, unplugged two SATA cables to that I could tie power cables with Velcro straps. Powered up, every thing suddenly froze. Attempted to access the BIOS - froze up. Cleared Cmos using both methods described by the manufacturer, removing the battery for one minute, and bridging the two battery terminals for five seconds. No post screen, nothing. All the fans would come on then just turn off. It would do this until I unplugged it, or held the power button in to turn it off. The fan to the video card ran, the CPU would try to turn on, but didn’t. Unlike you I do have another PC able to support all the same, components, swapped everything, all worked well. The only conclusion I reached is the motherboard. Apparently, the reseller came to the same conclusion and has requested a replacement from Gigabyte - due to be sent to me in the next few days.

I havent. I going to go out to a local computer store today and see if they will test my parts. I'll post my findings when im done.
August 21, 2007 6:59:19 PM

Great... that's the motherboard I was planning on buying. Bad batch? You all ordered from NewEgg I assume?
August 21, 2007 7:46:15 PM

Its the motherboard. Took my MB, PSU, Ram and my video card out to a local computer store and had them test them all. Turned out to be a bad motherboard.

Im not sure what exatly was wrong with the MB, they didnt say, just that it was bad.

I'll be RMA'ing this board either for the Dq6 or an Asus. Hopefully they will let me either upgrade from my current board, or just get my money back. I havent checked yet.

August 21, 2007 8:23:41 PM

Mine did the same thing.. I have all same components now, but my P35C died after a few reboots(So...obviously the motherboard was faulty). I've seen this problem several places now, and I'm starting to think that Gigabyte may have messed up on this mobo (their others don't seem to have this problem).
August 21, 2007 9:19:20 PM

I've noticed that on Gigabytes website there is a rev 1 and rev 2 of the P35C DS3. Perhaps you guys received rev 1 which maybe has a defect?
August 22, 2007 6:40:59 AM

I have the same revision as you, Rkl. Rev 1.1. I wouldnt try and mess with it anymore, just RMA it. Thats what im doing. The computer shop told me they tried to test it and it was dead.

I already confirmed my refund with Newegg. I just have to pack it up and mail it back to them.

August 22, 2007 10:21:10 AM

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem with my GA-P35c-DS3R. It was working fine for about a day, I install some mouse drivers, restart and then it just turns itself on for a few seconds and then turns itself back off repeatedly!

I'm going to RMA it, I'm just worried some other component caused the mobo to break like this?

By the way, I managed to get it to post by taking out everything but the RAM and the CPU. Even if you add one chasis fan to this set up, it starts restarting again! Obviously it's not a particularly useful observation, as without the graphics card, you can't change the bios!

If anyone else has more information on this, please post.

Matteo

GA-P35C-DS3R
Q6600 stock cooler
XFX 8800 GTX
2 x 1Gb DDR2-8300 Crucial RAM
Andyson 600W PSU
2 x 500Gb Seagate Barracuda ES
August 23, 2007 5:10:25 AM

i just went through almost 3 hour figureing out why my computer wont boot

my spec are

q6600 go stepping

P35 Ga DS3P

2 gig of ballistic tracer

500hd

ati 1950 pro

pc power cooling 750 watt

my problem is after assembleing my computer stays on for 2-3 second then it shuts down automactically then again it turns back on again keep repeating. I just rma this mobo couple of houre ago - went through hell of stress
August 23, 2007 9:09:32 AM

Damn, seems like this problem is pretty common.

By the way, when people say "RMA" do they actually mean they got a RMA number off the manufacturer that allowed them to send it back? If so, how do you get one?

Cheers
Matteo
August 23, 2007 2:22:46 PM

Thanks for the link but I don't think it's relevant to me cuz I live in the UK.

I emailed gigabyte direct and they said to check all my connections and then gave me possible scenarios depending on the beep codes. But my pc turns off too quickly to even hear any beep codes. Is that the same for you guys?

Thanks
Matteo

August 23, 2007 2:24:35 PM

By the way, with the RMA, do I need it if I'm still in the 30 day period since I bought it from the online store? Can't I just send it back to them?

Wonder how to get an RMA in the UK...
August 23, 2007 3:04:25 PM

Yes, you can send it back to where you purchased it from, but you still have to obtain a RMA # from that site.
August 23, 2007 3:16:39 PM

I had a DS3P die in the same fashion. Looks like it was a bad batch no doubt. My new DS3P is going strong. But the first one died in the first 5 days. That makes me sad panda - but I will still keep getting gigabyte boards :D 

-G
August 23, 2007 4:44:20 PM

Well the store you buy it from called them to get rma number and address to ship the item all u gotta do is this pack them mother board and ship it, I just ship mine couple of houre ago for refund from newegg.

Now looks like GA DS3P has problem i think we should get GA DS3R instead of GA DS3P i dont want to get another defective mobo :fou: 
August 23, 2007 5:26:07 PM

I have that mobo too and I never got any problems... Most of the time when they reboot a second after 2 or 3 seconds it's because I pushed the oc's .voltage and other thing too high. I changed my disk 2 or 3 times, add some remove some ,and never get a glitch. May be i'm lucky.... sorry for you it's a great board
August 23, 2007 5:46:35 PM

did you all of guys buy it from newegg? Should i purchased the same mobo from newegg again i dont want another DEFECTIVE MOBO ERR.
August 23, 2007 7:06:11 PM

I got mine from Dabs UK, never had any problems with them, will see how the RMA goes.

Jive, when it reboots like that, how do you fix it?

Thanks
August 24, 2007 12:35:00 PM

It would seem that I just cannot get it right then it comes to the P35-DS3R; I just got the replacement from the reseller (here in Australia), it to was fubar (not working).

After installation, I entered the BIOS, changed the VGA settings to PEG (for my PCIe VGA card from the default of PCI, and then proceeded to ENABLE the USB keyboard option...then the PC just froze. I had to power off, upon restarting the monitor would not come on - so I would not see anything. I took the VGA card to a local PC service centre, who then tested the VGA card to be functional and working well. I can only conclude that the changing of the VGA settings or the USB keyboard setting in the BIOS has somehow made the motherboard unusable. I recall that I did something similar on the previous board which was RA'ed. Go figure, two boards in a week? Perhaps I should stay away from aircraft…

Btk – I too like the GA-P35-DQ6, otherwise the GA-P35-DS4.
August 24, 2007 2:48:44 PM

Wow, that's rubbish... I hope my replacement works.

Do you know what bios version you were using gjn? Did you update it?

Matteo
August 24, 2007 3:45:49 PM

I'm not pretty sure, I can't tell what's happen but it's look like that board got a kind of failsafe boot and restore the default setting or the previous setting.
My problem when it's reboot it's not cause by parts going wrong it's setting out of limits.
Just tells me, when your system reboot .. what did you saw did you have some information on your screen or he fails to initialize the video card ... If he fails to initialize the video i'm sorry but there is nothing I can do more then everything you already tried. Sorry to not be more helpfull.
August 25, 2007 8:06:00 AM

matteo2000 – I can’t tell you what the BIOS version was, as I have not been able to get that far. I can tell you that both boards where revision 1.0 – so perhaps the BIOS version was whatever comes stock from Gigabyte. I have sent the second board back - for a GA-P35-DQ6. Funny thing is that every review that I have read says that the Gigabyte P35-DS3r series is kick ***, that is one of the reasons I decided on it. I suspect Gigabyte might carry out further tests on board before sending them to reviewers? I do not plan to give up on Gigabyte, although I will not go back to, nor recommend the Gigabyte P35-DS3r.
August 26, 2007 11:26:57 PM

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll let you know how my 2nd ga-p35c-ds3r goes. It's taking ages to come, so maybe some boards got recalled or I'll be getting revision 2.0...

Matteo
August 29, 2007 1:45:30 AM

sad story
August 29, 2007 6:32:49 AM

I have installed my new P35-DQ6. Would not start. I went back thought every component one more time.

FOUND MY ISSUE!!! Intermittent RAM module failing. Even the beep codes did not provide helping hand to isolating the fault. With both modules installed, sometimes the PC would start; often it would not even let me get as far as the BIOS. Eventually I got nothing, not even the monitor.

I removed all the RAM, and placed one stick into slot number one. PC would power up for 5 seconds, then power off, restart itself, run for 5 secs, then off again, and so on. I then removed that piece of RAM and inserted the second stick into the first slot. This time started up perfectly. Restarted the PC half dozen times without a hitch.

With both sticks inserted, the failing stick caused the PC to fail, not even getting far enough to allow access into the BIOS.

Team Xtreem 2GB KIT 1GBX2 DDR2 1066MHz CL5 PC2-8500

Will RA the Team Xtreem for something else. Not going there again. In concluding, I can not even be sure that the two earlier P35-DS3r boards I returned were the actual problem. Because the RAM fault was intermittent, it threw me of the scent of the real issue. I hope this helps anyone else experiencing similar problems.
August 29, 2007 9:25:03 AM

Wow. I'm going to try my pc with just 1 stick of RAM right now!
Still waiting for my 2nd mobo =(
August 29, 2007 9:42:35 AM

Just tried both of the sticks of RAM on their own and it does not fix the problem. =(
August 29, 2007 6:08:56 PM

metteo didnt you rma your mother board allready? how come you still the defective mobo still.
My rma taking forever to get it back :sleep: 
August 29, 2007 6:41:36 PM

MAtteo... Two days ago one of my stick of ram stop too work, I got the same problem as you. I got a new pair put it back everything wells after that. I don't know why that mobo didn't recognize the voltage of the ram I install ... Really anoying.
August 29, 2007 7:00:19 PM

So, do people think there's a chance my RAM is bad?
My new mobo comes tomorrow, don't know whether to just set it up and cross my fingers... or test my RAM somehow?

Thanks
Matteo
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2007 8:15:01 PM

Jumping in a little late here, but I assume you guys are aware that Crucial Ballistix runs at 2.2v as opposed to the usual DDR2 1.8v. It could be that your BIOS is not recognizing this. You should be able to go into BIOS and set this manually. Just thought I'd mention it for those who may be unaware.
August 29, 2007 11:00:17 PM

Okay, thanks for the info, it's worth knowing.
However, the pc ran for 2 days fine, so the bios must have recognised it?

Matteo
August 31, 2007 9:29:58 AM

@gjn : I have the same memory(Team Xtream) and motherboard(Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6) as you and i have the same damn problem(Power on startup but no post, cpu fan spins and stops and repeats this the whole time).. Im on my second motherboard now and its happening again!!! Should i get supported corsair memory rather then?
August 31, 2007 10:09:11 AM

I got my new motherboard yesterday, and now my pc is working fine. So it was a mobo issue!
*fingers crossed it doesn't happen again*

Matteo
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2007 11:00:48 AM

matteo2000 said:
I got my new motherboard yesterday, and now my pc is working fine. So it was a mobo issue!
*fingers crossed it doesn't happen again*

Matteo

Please post again if there are further issues. I am running the lowly DS3L with OCZ platinum at the normal 1.8v. It has been fine so far for 4 months .

It is a shame they cannot send a report back as to what happened to the old board. Maybe if they did, it would cut down on their RMA's.
August 31, 2007 11:04:28 AM

I also would like to know what the RMA reports come down to.. Then it would narrow down future problems for us too.. mmnn Then we would know what to buy and what not..
September 1, 2007 7:44:05 AM

mario2008,

we've the same board.. at least i see somebody has the same problem. Gigabyte definitely mess up this time. This is a PCIE problem... (BTW I'm from Hong Kong.)

i figure out the problem certainly lies on the PCIE, as i try to use a very old PCI display card and everything works perfect. I can enter the bios, install windows and get online.

Once i installed the GV-RX26T256H (Gigabyte 2600XT), the system become unstable. Sometimes hang on the Post screen and sometimes reboot itself. Even if it enters windows, i'm unable to enter bios. The screen goes blank when boot and enter straight into windows (without seeing the Windows Logo.) Things work well for a while, then it starts to reboot again. Mind you, i've managed to update the bios to F5. Though it did not helped of course.

The mobo definitely is fucked...

I'm using PCI card now and will take it to the dealer Monday.
September 7, 2007 5:49:18 AM

ok finally got the the new mother board replacement yesterday work like a charm but i have another problem now, I have 2 hard drive one of them is SATA is working fine but my IDE hard drive not detecting, any one know why?
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2007 1:12:38 AM

Double check the bios to see if the RAID function is turned off, and that both IDE and SATA are enabled. Also double check your cables.
November 10, 2007 5:59:27 PM

tlmck said:
Please post again if there are further issues. I am running the lowly DS3L with OCZ platinum at the normal 1.8v. It has been fine so far for 4 months .

It is a shame they cannot send a report back as to what happened to the old board. Maybe if they did, it would cut down on their RMA's.

It could be the memory speed, look up the P35 Chipset @ http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/316971.ht....
November 10, 2007 7:14:43 PM

I had a similar problem this week and just by dumb luck figured a work around for it. Check the thread I have in the Gigibyte section of Tom's . The thread was "Interesting problem". I think many of the gigabyte mb may have a problem with flexing or a bad tracer. I have had to restart mine several times this week and any time it will not boot I just open the case and apply a little pressure on the HSF upward and the pc will boot right up.
!