Ga-p35c-ds3r dead?

BtK

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007
Ive searched and tried every option I could find on these boards. Nothing has helped. Im not sure what exatly happened to my new comp.

Gigabyte P35c-DS3r
Intel Q6600 @ Stock
2g Crucial Ballistix @ stock
EVGA 8800gtx @ Stock
SB-Xfi Extremegamer
WD 150g Raptor
Cosair 620w PSU

Heres what happened. I had been using the computer all day with no problems. I decided to reorganize my wiring inside my case. I changed two sata cables ( 2 of the same cables, just different colors ) plugged my DvD drive and HD into the same sata power cable and tucked some wires away. I made sure that I didnt cut,expose any wiring so thats not the problem. It powered up just fine. What happened was I went to open a program later on in the day and every thing suddenly froze. No problem, i'll just hard reboot with the power switch. Problem is, it didnt reboot. It just kept powering up briefly for about 3-5 secs then rebooting. No post screen, nothing. All the fans would come on then just turn off. It would do this untill I unplugged it, or held the power button in to turn it off.

I tried clearing the Cmos and removing the cmos battery, but that didnt work either.

I did notice one thing. the fan to the video card would try to turn on, but didnt. But even if I removed my video card, it would still do the same thing as before. I was going to test some of the parts on my other comp, but the parts were too new and would not work with my old comp.

Im not sure if its my motherboard or some thing else. I thought this was as good a place to start as any. Any suggestions?

lghtmup98

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I had the same thing happen when I had a bad stick of ram on a GA-P965-DS3 board. Even after I removed the bad ram, never rebooted again. Tech support said the bios was wiped.

rkl525

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
I have the same problem exactly, but mine arose when I flashed the bios from F2 to F4g. The BIOS flashed successfully, loaded into Windows XP, then shortly thereafter, rebooted and kept rebooting every three seconds, much like yours. I noticed that we have the same processor, memory, and type of video card. Keep us posted if you find anything. Also I've been searching around, and we're not the only ones with this problem with this board, it seems to pop up quite often, hopefully Gigabyte can solve this problem. I want to see if there is a fix before I RMA. Have tried clearing CMOS, removing components, nothing works. My power supply works, I removed and checked in another system.

BtK

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007
I dont think its the power supply because it powers up and turns on the fans. But then again, Im not positive. Im thinking its either the Ram or the MB.

One thing I didnt mention was that I had the timings on my ram set to manual in the bios. But they were set to the stock speeds for the ram. 5,5,5,15. It ran fine at these settings until the program crashed in windows.

If the bios is wiped, is there any way to reload it?

I may just have to take some of my parts out to a local computer store and have them test them. I cant test them myself because the parts are newer and wont work in my older computer.

gjn

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
BtK, have you found the problem? I have the exact same issue. I have returned my brand new Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard to the reseller for a warranty claim only after two days use. Setup the PC without a hitch, then went to reorganize my wiring inside my case, unplugged two SATA cables to that I could tie power cables with Velcro straps. Powered up, every thing suddenly froze. Attempted to access the BIOS - froze up. Cleared Cmos using both methods described by the manufacturer, removing the battery for one minute, and bridging the two battery terminals for five seconds. No post screen, nothing. All the fans would come on then just turn off. It would do this until I unplugged it, or held the power button in to turn it off. The fan to the video card ran, the CPU would try to turn on, but didn’t. Unlike you I do have another PC able to support all the same, components, swapped everything, all worked well. The only conclusion I reached is the motherboard. Apparently, the reseller came to the same conclusion and has requested a replacement from Gigabyte - due to be sent to me in the next few days.

BtK

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007

I havent. I going to go out to a local computer store today and see if they will test my parts. I'll post my findings when im done.

BtK

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007
Its the motherboard. Took my MB, PSU, Ram and my video card out to a local computer store and had them test them all. Turned out to be a bad motherboard.

Im not sure what exatly was wrong with the MB, they didnt say, just that it was bad.

I'll be RMA'ing this board either for the Dq6 or an Asus. Hopefully they will let me either upgrade from my current board, or just get my money back. I havent checked yet.

Daredevil_8

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Mine did the same thing.. I have all same components now, but my P35C died after a few reboots(So...obviously the motherboard was faulty). I've seen this problem several places now, and I'm starting to think that Gigabyte may have messed up on this mobo (their others don't seem to have this problem).

Rajveer

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
I've noticed that on Gigabytes website there is a rev 1 and rev 2 of the P35C DS3. Perhaps you guys received rev 1 which maybe has a defect?

BtK

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007
I have the same revision as you, Rkl. Rev 1.1. I wouldnt try and mess with it anymore, just RMA it. Thats what im doing. The computer shop told me they tried to test it and it was dead.

I already confirmed my refund with Newegg. I just have to pack it up and mail it back to them.

matteo2000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem with my GA-P35c-DS3R. It was working fine for about a day, I install some mouse drivers, restart and then it just turns itself on for a few seconds and then turns itself back off repeatedly!

I'm going to RMA it, I'm just worried some other component caused the mobo to break like this?

By the way, I managed to get it to post by taking out everything but the RAM and the CPU. Even if you add one chasis fan to this set up, it starts restarting again! Obviously it's not a particularly useful observation, as without the graphics card, you can't change the bios!

If anyone else has more information on this, please post.

Matteo

GA-P35C-DS3R
Q6600 stock cooler
XFX 8800 GTX
2 x 1Gb DDR2-8300 Crucial RAM
Andyson 600W PSU
2 x 500Gb Seagate Barracuda ES

mario2008

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
i just went through almost 3 hour figureing out why my computer wont boot

my spec are

q6600 go stepping

P35 Ga DS3P

2 gig of ballistic tracer

500hd

ati 1950 pro

pc power cooling 750 watt

my problem is after assembleing my computer stays on for 2-3 second then it shuts down automactically then again it turns back on again keep repeating. I just rma this mobo couple of houre ago - went through hell of stress

matteo2000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Damn, seems like this problem is pretty common.

By the way, when people say "RMA" do they actually mean they got a RMA number off the manufacturer that allowed them to send it back? If so, how do you get one?

Cheers
Matteo

matteo2000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Thanks for the link but I don't think it's relevant to me cuz I live in the UK.

I emailed gigabyte direct and they said to check all my connections and then gave me possible scenarios depending on the beep codes. But my pc turns off too quickly to even hear any beep codes. Is that the same for you guys?

Thanks
Matteo

matteo2000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
By the way, with the RMA, do I need it if I'm still in the 30 day period since I bought it from the online store? Can't I just send it back to them?

Wonder how to get an RMA in the UK...

rkl525

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Yes, you can send it back to where you purchased it from, but you still have to obtain a RMA # from that site.

gazukull

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I had a DS3P die in the same fashion. Looks like it was a bad batch no doubt. My new DS3P is going strong. But the first one died in the first 5 days. That makes me sad panda - but I will still keep getting gigabyte boards :D

-G

mario2008

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Well the store you buy it from called them to get rma number and address to ship the item all u gotta do is this pack them mother board and ship it, I just ship mine couple of houre ago for refund from newegg.

Now looks like GA DS3P has problem i think we should get GA DS3R instead of GA DS3P i dont want to get another defective mobo :fou:

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
I have that mobo too and I never got any problems... Most of the time when they reboot a second after 2 or 3 seconds it's because I pushed the oc's .voltage and other thing too high. I changed my disk 2 or 3 times, add some remove some ,and never get a glitch. May be i'm lucky.... sorry for you it's a great board