need help with PSU for my Q6600 system

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 21, 2007 7:50:06 AM

Hi Guys,

I just together my system and then found out that my ENERMAX Whisper II EG465P-VE FMA 1.3 ATX 460W Power Supply does not have a 24 pin power connector :( . Well I need to buy a new power supply.

My current system config is as below...

CPU: Q6600 FSB1066 G0 (SLACR) (planning on OCing to 3.2GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP (P35 chipset)
RAM: Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 800Mhz
Graphics card: EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
Heatsink: Thermalright Ultima 90
Heatsink Fan: Scythe SFF21F. Fluid bearings, silent, 1600RPM, 63CFM
HDD: WD5000AAKS 500GB, 16MB cache (already have. $130) and 2 SATA 160GB Seagate HDD's.
Optical Drives: one DVDRW and one CDRW
Sound: Audigy2 ZX Platinum

I am planning on buying the below PSU.
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But I have read that 8800GTS requires 26A on the +12. Newegg gives the below specs for it : +3.3@36A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,+ 12V4@18A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@3.0A.

Will this work with my current system (I have seem some people use this PSU with 8800GTX)?

Also if you guys have other suggestion please let me know.

More about : psu q6600 system

a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2007 9:01:37 AM

Yes it will work with either 8800GTS 640/8800GTX 768

September 21, 2007 4:20:20 PM

I read a post somewhere saying that the 18A on the +12V gave that person problems since evga 8800GTS 640MB requires 26A on the +12V.

I also was able to find 20 pin to 24 pin convertors (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). Is it safe to use them?

Also is it better to stick with 700W or 850W?

Thanks.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2007 5:32:54 PM

More W doesnt mean the PSU is better , there other things like AMP, PickLoad time , Efficency ....

what is the model of 850W ?
September 21, 2007 5:40:33 PM

OCZ GameXStream OCZ850GXSSLI ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 850Watts Power Supply is the one I also was thinking about.
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2007 7:42:17 PM

well if u can get it then go for it , (OCZ one )
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2007 8:34:27 PM

glad i could help :)
October 18, 2007 8:25:39 PM

I have the same question, i have asked this question directly to EVGA, sideways , upside down etc. I have yet to get a straight answer??? Any way, below is just an exerpt to my CONTINUING question ,,, geeeeze

Charles, I hope I didnt blow your fuse ? LOL ,, I will simply need to know, If I have to buy another PSU, what is the minimum spec I need to look for on the dedicated +12v rail for the PCI-Express wire that will run this card "EVGA 640-P2-N825-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card"
Thank you very much for the reply. That does help knowing it is OVERALL and not necessarily the rail for the PCI-Express ampacity. My current PSU has (3) +12 rails. The main power connector ampacity at max load = 12amps. The rail for the dedicated PCI-Express cable ampacity at max load= 21 amps. I am attaching the PDF specs on my current PSU. I am hoping that this will have suitable ampacity to run this card. Please advise. If it is not suitable, I will need to find out what the PCI-E rail ampacity will need to be. Thank you
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:10:39 +0000
Ok ,,, who do I need to send this to to get a response?

To: sales@evga.com
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:55:35 +0000
I was wondering how long it might take to get a response from this previously asked question, thanks

To: sales@evga.com
Subject: In need of info b4 purchase
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 19:54:40 +0000
I wish to purchase the following “EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 16X PCI Express W/ TV-OUT & 2x DVI” The question I have pertains to the required power. From what I have been able to obtain, I found the following information
“(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps.)”
Unfortunately, this statement has been left up to interpretation in the forums. What I want to know is, is that statement referring to the total ampacity from a dedicated PCI-Express cable out of my power supply to the video card, or is the recommended ampacity from the main power supply to the motherboard?
I have the following power supply already that has a 13 amp capacity for the 24 pin power connector, and a 21 amp capacity for a 6 pin PCI-Express connector. And if that doesn’t meet the need, I was considering adding on this http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/PurePower/w009...
graphics card power supply, but its PCI-Express ampacity is only “Load: 21A (Peak Load: 25A) Min. Load 0A”
!