Which motherboard for this config?

AssassiNBG

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
So I'm building a new pc and am not sure which would be the most cost-effective mobo to get for it. Here's the system:

Intel - Core 2 Duo E6550, 2.33GHz, LGA775, BOX
XFX - GF 8600GT, 256MB PV-T84J-UDF3, PCI Express
Kingston - KIT 2*1GB/667
WD 320GB , SerialATAII, 7200rpm, 8192k
LG - GSA-H22NBAL

Thanks!

There are plenty that could work with your setup. What is your plans for this setup? How much you going to spend on the mobo? We can help tune your setup with just a bit more information.

I vote for GA-P35-S3L.

Edit: I'm assuming it's a home theater, not a gaming machine, right? The 8600GT will be fine for watching HD videos on Vista, but it's no good for games. Also, I understand it won't support HD video on XP (you'd need an ATI 2400 or 2600 for that). I'm not sure if that's true, I just read it on some other thread recently. If you care you'd better investigate...

AssassiNBG

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Well I'm looking for something cheap, but I'm not sure how cheap I should go. I mean, maybe something in the range of $70-90 would be ok for price I think.

Also if you have other suggestions I'm welcome, as long as it's not getting more expensive. ;)

Btw I'll be getting the XFX 8600GT XXX Edition instead of the one listed in my previous post and it's a little more expensive.

EDIT: Thanks aevm for the vote. But unfortunately I couldn't find that mobo anywhere in the local stores. Not even in any store in Bulgaria. And I also found an interesting thread, someone asking where to buy this same motherboard, and he said it's available all over the US and it's cheap yet good but noone was able to find it on the Bulgarian market either.

Are you getting an overclocked 8600GT hoping to play games on it? Don't try that, it's not going to make you happy. Look at x1950xt or x1950pro for a gaming card in that price range.

AssassiNBG

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I'm not building a gaming pc, but I will eventually check new games out, and I'm getting the 8600gt because it's a directx 10 card. Thanks for the suggestion aevm.