Your question

Is this my problem. I cant run 3dmark06 or games

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • NAS / RAID
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2007 1:12:03 AM

ive seen a couple threads that are all dead that never had any details as to help someone trouble shoot this. i ran two different the OCCT program for an hour and also prime95 v25.1.1..... my ram and cpu run fine no errors. But when i try and do 3dmark06 or try playing battlefield 2 my crap freezes up.

my bios is set to defaults except for the 2 raptor drives being raid enabled for raid-0 below is my system

Striker Extreme
q6600 2.4ghz
coolIT Eliminator MTEC cooler
4GB Corsair
XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768mb video card
Thermal Take ToughPower Modular 750w PSU
2x 75GB Raptors (Raid-0)
CoolerMaster Stacker830 case
ViewSonic Q22wb 22" monitor
Windows XP x64 edition

bios version 1303
NVidia Video Driver 162.18
NVidia Chipset drivers most current I forgot the number…

as you can see i didnt overclock. although i did set 2.2v for the memory like i saw all over the place but i set that back to default too. Even though my memory passed the tests I did removed a pair of the dims when these pics were taken, figured id give it a try just to be sure. Still didn’t work though.

ive been fiddling with this thing for better part of 24 hours and cant figure it out.
I ran the memtest for 11 hours with no errors

i was also told by a friend at work that agp aperture size can affect my video card freezing up. i cant find that setting in the striker extreme but this is my system info from 3dmark06
Total Local Video Memory 764 MB
Total Local Texture Memory 764 MB
AGP Aperture Size 246 MB

please someone help me, thanks

More about : problem run 3dmark06 games

August 19, 2007 1:54:05 AM

Its got nothing to do with AGP aperture size - you have a PCI-E card.

12V rail voltage a tad low but within spec - how are you hooking up to the two PCI-E connectors on the GPU?

What kind of Cosair memory and what are the timings its rated for?
August 19, 2007 3:45:48 AM

i have both 6 pins coming from the modular power supply plugged into the 8800gtx is there some special way to do it??? i dont recall seeing that anywhere.

my memory is : 4 gigs (2 sets of this)
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
August 19, 2007 7:20:18 AM

update, someone asked me to run cpu only test in the 3dmark06 and it worked for that...it was like 1.5 fps and stuff but it worked at least.
August 19, 2007 11:22:34 AM

1.5 FPS is normal for the CPU tests in 3dmark06.
August 19, 2007 1:35:51 PM

Maybe one quick easy way to see if it a psu or specific gpu hardware issue would be to run another app that does a simple stress test on the video card. Something like ATI tool 3d view. Something like this would probably run fine if it is a driver issue but will still work the card hard enough to use max power.

If that doesn't lock up the card then I would look for a problem with your drivers or windows install. Maybe if this is a new build roll windows back to when you installed it and reinstall the nvidia drivers.

No real answer here but these would be my next steps.
August 19, 2007 2:42:14 PM

Warriorxjosh,
If you take a look at this: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/413/15/
according to this, your card uses about 13A when idling and about 25A (seems high) under load.

If that is in fact the case, then your above the limit on the rail on your PSU.
I have the same PSU - the modular PCI-E connectors are both on the same rail and its only rated for 18A max.

Try connecting the PCI-E attached to the main power supply to one connector on the GPU and using one of the
modular connectors for the other. That will split the power draw across two different rails, each of which are rated
for 18A max. That may be the problem and could correct it. Worth a shot anyway.

Sdrac
August 19, 2007 5:39:36 PM

thanks for the power tip sdrac. I actually tried that a day or so again, i inter changed all the pci-e plugs to make sure one wasnt just bad. i also used ati tool to check for artifacts, i had a ton of yellow stuff. so i was told that means the card is definately bad.

oh yeah and No1 i cant use the 3d view without immediately freezing my computer. its bad enough just running artifact cheecker. it lasted for 11 seconds of errors and lots of yellow. then i had to restart.
August 19, 2007 6:14:47 PM

the only thing i can say when freezes comes or random restarts occurs is that its either overheating or weak psu. in your case i think your psu is good but might be fault. cause if i can recall, thermaltake toughpower is a very good and powerful series and can support 8800gtx. maybe it is faulty thus can't provide the required power. the second thing is that maybe your vga card gets overheated. chk these things aswell. hope i helped.
August 19, 2007 6:42:45 PM

update:

i tried my roommates 7800gtx with clean driver installs and stuff and its screaming in 3dmark06, and atitools, looks like my rma request is finalized
August 19, 2007 7:37:10 PM

sdrac said:
Warriorxjosh,
If you take a look at this: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/413/15/
according to this, your card uses about 13A when idling and about 25A (seems high) under load.

If that is in fact the case, then your above the limit on the rail on your PSU.
I have the same PSU - the modular PCI-E connectors are both on the same rail and its only rated for 18A max.

Try connecting the PCI-E attached to the main power supply to one connector on the GPU and using one of the
modular connectors for the other. That will split the power draw across two different rails, each of which are rated
for 18A max. That may be the problem and could correct it. Worth a shot anyway.

Sdrac

These sort of issues could be avoided by simply not using a multi rail or modular PSU. Such units also tend to have "cleaner" power when hooked up to and viewed on a scope.
!