mm_vr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hi guys

I've got a Fujitsu-Siemens computer bought 2003 with an Athlon XP 3000+, 512Mbs of RAM and a GeForce FX5600. The PSU is a VERY cheap 300W (no, I didn't build this computer). The problem is that the machine had overheating problems and it continuously restarted.
I installed a 80mm additional fan in the rear fan place. The restarting stopped but sometimes in the summer when the ambient temp was >27 degrees Celsius (80 Fahrenheit) i couldn't load the machine at all without overheating & restarting.
The solution was a second fan (80mm) in the front fan place. Or that was what i thought.

I know that the front fan is stronger than the rear fan (to ensure the PSU cools down) but anyway the PSU fan (which is a rather low-power) doens't blow like anything out. And the 'anything' it blows feels kinda hot on my hand.

The Graphics Card is the problem causer as it's so large in the case that it blocks the air from coming to the CPU/PSU from below it. And the case is some kind of Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo original (full-ATX tower).

The additional front fan didn't help anything except the graphics card with a few degrees. The idle temps are 48C (118F) for the CPU and 78C (172F) for the GPU, load temps (playing DRIV3R) CPU: 52C (125F), GPU: 80C (176F).

There are no more empty fan slots but i might make some additional blowholes if necessary.
Thanksful for any help.

mm_vr

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
a quick summary of your question would help.

just to eliminate the obvious, is the flow of the fan in the right direction?

if your GFX card is blocking air flow, then see if you can buy a PCI slot fan and place it above or below the card, wherever you need flow the most.

mm_vr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Sorry, my question is how I could get a cool running and stable system.

PSU fan is blowing out and so is the rear fan. The front fan blows into the case.
The PCI slot fan is a good suggestion, thanks. But if I would add one where would the PSU and the CPU get cool air in the "upper" case?

The PSU fan hasn't failed, it's just low-power.
And WTF: I noticed that the PSU is a Fortron one and it's in Tier 2 or 3 in that list!
I used the eXtreme PSU Calculator recently and got around 220-240 Watts for my system.

The computer is a Fijutsu-Siemens Scaleo 600 with a size around the same with Scaleo X (<url>http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/home/products/personal_computers/scaleo_x.h tml</url>).

BTW, are my temps good enough?

I had ocassional random reboots with my old sparkle 300w power supply. It's virtually identical to fortron. Just yesterday, I got an email offer for a raidmax 420w power supply for free after $20 rebate. Check newegg for more rebate offers.

mm_vr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
This is a pretty old computer (2003) and I'm not going to buy anything new to it except fans if necessary. Thanks anyway.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
My vote go's to vacuum the sucker!

it's an old system so the PSU's probably chocked with dust, take it out the case and try and vacuum as much dust out of it as possible, or preferably if you have some sort of blower, use that instead, I've got a nice workshop blower that puts air out at like 150Kph, and I'm amazed every time i clean my computer how much dust gets stuck in the PSU.

mm_vr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I vacuumed the whole computer before installing the second fan but I didn't take the PSU out of the case. The blowing (or vacuuming) is a great idea, thanks.

@ mm_vr, Most bought systems like that only have enough P/S wattage capability to handle whats in the machine, adding additional power drains on some machines create instant trouble.

You mentioned blowholes a term for mounting fans on the top of the case, which is good if you have the room and the self ability to do it, I modified my case with 2 120mm fans as blowholes and its amazing how much they lowered the internal case temp, basically internal heat problem is gone.

However you need to have the power available to add these type cooling solutions, and I would suggest to you right off the bat to acquire yourself a new P/S, for your system at least a solid 350W good quality P/S.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
52c under load for the cpu inst too hot. Also 80c for the vid card inst too hot ether. How are you monitoring the temps on it? the fx series dose not come with that abillity. It is almost defiantly the psu. Buy a cheap but solid psu for it for like $50 and then save up till you can afford a new rig.

mm_vr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
As I mentioned earlier, I'm not going to buy a new PSU.
Instead I'm soon going to build a new computer.

My FX5600 comes however with a thermal diode and I monitor its temp with Everest (http://www.lavalys.com/).