Sign in with
Your question

Need help on a new MB and processor. Details inside.

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2007 5:11:25 PM

Im sure there are ton of these types of questions, but im looking for something personalized for what i need.

I am looking to build a new PC. My current setup:
athlon 4000+ OC'd to 3.0ghz on air
Asus geforce4 deluxe board
Raptor 150g HD
Nvidia 7800gt
Corsair pc3200 cl4 DDR (2x1g)
dell 24in monitor (1900X1200 res)
NeoPower NeoHE 550w power supply

I mostly play games. When i play, i normally dont have any other programs open other than maybe vent and a internet window. I play games like WoW, battlefield 2, medieval 2 total war, etc. This PC is strictly a gaming rig. I will be using my old (current) PC as my secondary/media PC. I will be taking the raptor drive and power supply out of my current PC and using it in the new PC, as both are pretty new.

Ive narrrowed down most of my components.
CASE: Antec Performance One P180 = $120
VIDEO CARD: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB = $370
POWER SUPPLY: Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550w = FREE (already have)
HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB = Free (already have)
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 cas4 X2 (running a total of 4g) = $260
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows Vista Ultimate

What i cant decide on is the Processor and mother board.

Processors:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz = $229
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz = $219
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz = $309

all three look very nice. I know the E6600 will be the best over clocker, but this will be on air, so im not going to overclock to the extreme. Quad core (Q6600) would be nice, but i dont do alot of multitasking, but would still be nice for future games that will use more than 2 cores. E6750 is the fastes out of the box and has the new G0 steppings.

Any suggestions? Im torn on which to get.

and finally the motherboard. Im not going to get into the brands, as most are just your prefrence and list of options on the boards. What i contemplating (sp?) is:
Nforce 600 series ( i dont use SLI, but i have been a loyal nvidia fan for a while)
P35 series (like the MSI platinium)

and finally if i go with the E6750, do i need to run the nvidia 600 series for the 1333 fsb? (which would make this choice much easier.

Thanks for the help guys. Any suggestions are welcomed.

August 8, 2007 5:37:24 PM

your vista is 64 bit right? If not you wont see those 4GB, you'll see around 3. Also I suggest getting 2x2GB RAM so you have room for expansion later one. It'll also be a little faster if you have 2 sticks instead of 4.

I'd suggest getting the Q6600 for future applications, as more and more games will support 4Cores.

Motherboard, get the P35 definitely if you aren't using SLI. I suggest the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R.
August 8, 2007 7:08:39 PM

Solariscs -

Im pretty sure my vista is a 32-bit version. I was not aware of the restrictions on vista like XP. I may just get a nice 2X1g pair and run it in 1t.

Thanks for the feedback. Ive only looked at nvidia 600 series MB's, but tomshardware review of the P35 from MSI was pretty impressive. I will definatly look into the Gigabyte board.

Can you make any other suggestions on my build?
Related resources
August 8, 2007 7:13:57 PM

well if you have vista Ultimate, I think it comes with both 32 bit and 64-bit DVDs if you bought it retail. Check and see if yours is both.

Rest looks good to me :) . Good luck with your build, should be a great one.
August 8, 2007 7:19:26 PM

if you are going to be upgrading the processor again any time soon then i would go with the e6750...
August 8, 2007 7:31:32 PM

Solariscs said:
well if you have vista Ultimate, I think it comes with both 32 bit and 64-bit DVDs if you bought it retail. Check and see if yours is both.

Rest looks good to me :) . Good luck with your build, should be a great one.

I have the MSDN version, which i think is only a 32bit. Which is fine, i can run 2g now, then later upgrade to the 64 bit and just add some more ram.

I did some more research and i like the Gigabyte and MSI platinium. Both are about the smae, so just a matter of looking at connectors, extras, ect. THanks for the recommendation.

Now i just need to decide between the Intel E6750 and the Q6600. I dont plan to upgrade int he next 2 years, so still not sure which would be a better buy for me. With gaming only machine, im leaning a bit towards the E6750, and being 100 bucks cheaper is nice. decisions decisions.

Either way im going to be ording this stuff next monday, so i have a few days to make a decision on the processor
August 8, 2007 7:33:56 PM

Get the P35 board , reasons :
U have the option to choose only DDR3
U have the option to choose only DDR2
U have the option to choose Both DDR2 and DDR3
U have next gen 45nm support (680i has this too )
Its a rumor that P35 supports PCIE-2
August 8, 2007 7:45:22 PM

if your waiting for 2 years, I suggest getting the Q6600 it'll be money well spent as you'll see better gaming performance on it with many popular games, since they will support 4 core operations.
!