Problem with older computer

Thwiipp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hello all, I hope someone could help me with this issue I've been having. My Wife has an older computer, it was my old one that i rebuilt/refreshed. It's a Pentium 3 1Ghz 512MB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro. Now it Frequently locks up, but it's random. Nothing Specific does it. It doesnt even have to be taxing work. So far I have replaced the power supply(failed anyway) Graphics card. Hard Drive reinstalled windows once and Ran Memtest on the RAM. The only things left are the processor and motherboard, I dont know if they would be to blame, Im about to preform a reinstall of XP in a couple of days. Maybe even swap the processor out to a spare. I don't know what to do anymore for this, im running out of ideas. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I would build a new system. The memory on the old system is negligible, you don't say how big the hard drive is, etc. If you took it to a computer shop they would tell you to scrap it. Someone gave me a similar system recently and I just decided to scrap it. It is just out of date.

Thwiipp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hard Drive is 60GB Western Digital, barely used and barely filled. I know its out of date for say most of us here on the forums, but it is my wife's I actually gave her that so she can replace an even older system (P2 450MHZ) if you could believe that. She was actually ok with that, i just could stand when ever i need to use it occasionally.

ffchocobo

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
I would suggest the problem is with the CPU or motherboard. Last time my CPU died it kept locking up randomly, under load or idle etc etc

Thwiipp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Thanks I'll check the board, Im gonna do a reinstall this weekend and swap out the CPU to my slight slower 866MHZ, any other thoughts? otherwize i may have to consider either just getting here a new system or throw a whole new board, CPU, ram GPU in the box.

Thwiipp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
OK I checked the motherboard, and noticed that what utaka95 may be correct. How could i fix this, Is there anywhere where i can still buy a good P3 motherboard to replace this board? I attached a picture of what i noticed, would this be what actually cause the lock-ups?
Motherboard.gif

Thanks

tdank

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Theres actually a really good article here at toms on it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/18/fixing_your_motherboard/

Hope it helps.

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
if you're in canada, 250$ will get you an emachines p4 641 system preloaded with vista home basic. I think I saw it at best buy or futureshop.