Sign in with
Your question

My superduper fast setup running superduper SLOW

Last response: in Storage
November 2, 2007 3:04:34 PM

.. and i think it might be because of my PATA drive.

I just built myself a PC with the intel e6850 3.0ghz core2, intel dp35dp motherboard, and 2gb ddr2 800 RAM. Problem is, that it's running slower than my dual AMD mp2800+ setup i had years back :( 

Windows takes forever to load, and whenever i go to open anything the HD pages like mad. My drive currently has 1gb partition that i set as the page file and the second partition which is the rest of the drive size. When looking at the drive properties, there's no options to change DMA modes or any labels showing me that my drive is running at ATA100. On my AMD system this info would show.

Is it because my mobo would rather me be using a SATA drive? did i not set up something correctly?

Thanks for any help!
November 2, 2007 3:08:02 PM

Where did the drives come from? Did you move them from another machine or did you do a clean install of Windoze on the new box?

Also try move your page file to the second drive then defrag your first disk and move the page file back after the disk has been defraged. This should get the page file in one "piece" which will speed up paging.
November 2, 2007 3:13:59 PM

it came from the old amd system, but it's a clean install of windows.

do you mean move my page file to the second "partition"? cause you said "drive" :)  I'll try the page file thing tonight after work.

Open to any and all suggestions! thanks..
Related resources
November 2, 2007 3:28:24 PM

Sorry misread your post - I thought you meant two drives - oops!

I would suggest that you re-install Windoze on the new kit. The install was clean for the previous configuration not the current configuration. Re-install from scratch then download the latest drivers and BIOS. I also suggest that you make your "paging file partition" bigger than 1Gb.
November 2, 2007 3:33:14 PM

I'm rather amused at the "Windoze" comments. Something tells me UncleDave is a Linux supporter.
November 2, 2007 3:45:00 PM

pigeonpoo said:
it came from the old amd system, but it's a clean install of windows.

do you mean move my page file to the second "partition"? cause you said "drive" :)  I'll try the page file thing tonight after work.

Open to any and all suggestions! thanks..

Yeah, i'm just going to do another winblows install. It's terribly slow. But even if i enlarged my page file shouldn't the PC still run fast since i have 2gb of RAM?
November 2, 2007 3:52:14 PM

check your IDE cables, it might be time to buy a new one.
November 2, 2007 3:56:31 PM

You should make the page partition at least 1.5 times the size of your available ram, so make that partition 3.5-4 gb.

As someone else said, check your IDE cable, and don't be afraid to get a new SATA drive, they're really simple to install and they're really cheap for 7200rpm drives.
November 2, 2007 4:03:01 PM

What does it say when you go to

Control Panel
System
Hardware
Device Manager
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller
And click on your primary and secondary IDE channel, Advanced settings under transfer mode?

It should be set to DMA if available and not PIO
And under that it should say something like “Current Transfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 5
a b G Storage
November 2, 2007 4:51:57 PM

I'm shocked that no one has asked this question yet:

how old is this hard drive in question?
a b G Storage
November 2, 2007 4:52:35 PM

Don't be fooled by all the SATA hype. The max sustained throughput on SATA drives isn't much faster than PATA drives. I don't have exact numbers but I saw some benchmarks and the avg sustained speed on a PATA 133 drive was around 7mbs less then the SATA II drive. I also read somewhere that a single (non RAID) SATA II drive has a max sustained throughput of around 90mbs. That isn't even SATA I speed (150). I just built a new quad core PC and for the first time I used a SATA II drive. I am very disappointed with the performance.
November 2, 2007 5:21:51 PM

The drive is a few years old, but worked fine before i pulled it.

The cable question is now making me wonder.. the HD cable that came with the mobo had one wire cut out. about a quarter centimeter in length a little distance away from the plug/socket. The drive wasn't working when i first put everything together so i ditched this cable for another and then it started working. But when i used that second cable i also did make sure that i fastened everything together more tightly, which in turn made think that maybe the cable wasn't the problem, but rather the connection. :pt1cable: 

bobjmoran said:
What does it say when you go to

Control Panel
System
Hardware
Device Manager
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller
And click on your primary and secondary IDE channel, Advanced settings under transfer mode?

It should be set to DMA if available and not PIO
And under that it should say something like “Current Transfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 5

I checked for this information under > disks drives and didn't see it. Now i understand why.. wrong place!
a b å Intel
a c 180 G Storage
November 2, 2007 5:46:48 PM

A clean install would probably help. In particular, I would remove the separate pagefile partition. I am not a fan of separate partitions. Your pagefile partition will be at the opposite end of the drive where it will have a long way to go if XP needs to use it, and use it it will. A separate pagefile only makes sense if you have a second REAL drive. See if you don't run better if you deactivate your separate page file.
November 2, 2007 5:48:33 PM

That notch in the cable is common, and IIRC used to assist with 'cable select' modes on the drives. I prefer setting master/slave options myself.
Do you have your CD/DVD drive on the same channel? Put them on separate channels if so. A slow cd/dvd drive will drag the channel down.
November 2, 2007 5:54:38 PM

I had slow transfer rates with an old IDE cable... bought a new one (sleeved yay!) and fixed it right up!
November 2, 2007 6:39:57 PM

CannedTurkey said:
..Do you have your CD/DVD drive on the same channel? Put them on separate channels if so. A slow cd/dvd drive will drag the channel down.

I have them on the same cable. so does that mean i have them on the same channel? This Intel dp35dp board only comes with one IDE connector on the board so i have to have them on the same cable.

A clean install would probably help. In particular, I would remove the separate pagefile partition. I am not a fan of separate partitions. Your pagefile partition will be at the opposite end of the drive where it will have a long way to go if XP needs to use it, and use it it will. A separate pagefile only makes sense if you have a second REAL drive. See if you don't run better if you deactivate your separate page file. said:
A clean install would probably help. In particular, I would remove the separate pagefile partition. I am not a fan of separate partitions. Your pagefile partition will be at the opposite end of the drive where it will have a long way to go if XP needs to use it, and use it it will. A separate pagefile only makes sense if you have a second REAL drive. See if you don't run better if you deactivate your separate page file.

The way i do it is i create the smaller swap partition first so it's at the begining of the drive. But when i do a clean install tonight i'll just keep it a single partition to see how it performs.

So i'll do this tonight: 1. check DMA, PIO settings 2. make a 3.5gb swap on the second partition 3. change cables 4. drink to deal with my problems :hello:  5. clean install if i have too

am i missing anything?
November 2, 2007 6:42:14 PM

I to would not recomend putting the page file on its own partition. Yes this may keep it cleaner and more organized but it would actually hurt performance. If it was a separate drive then the page file being there would in fact speed it up.
a b å Intel
a c 180 G Storage
November 2, 2007 6:54:46 PM

Before you reload, try eliminating the separate page file, and see if it helps.

Yes, the CD/DVD drive will interfere with the hard drive if it is simultaneously working. Perhaps it is time to get a sata dvd drive, they are only $30 or so. For that matter, a new sata drive won't cost you much on black friday.
---good luck---
November 2, 2007 10:17:30 PM

geofelt said:
Before you reload, try eliminating the separate page file, and see if it helps.

Yes, the CD/DVD drive will interfere with the hard drive if it is simultaneously working. Perhaps it is time to get a sata dvd drive, they are only $30 or so. For that matter, a new sata drive won't cost you much on black friday.
---good luck---

If he's going to be getting anything he should just go for a new SATA drive, newer 7200RPM drives are quite a bit faster than what he likely has.

Also, it's always a good idea to reinstall Windows when you move to a new system, that's likely your issue.
November 6, 2007 9:16:43 AM

Any feedback for us? What have you done and what are the results?
November 6, 2007 10:00:11 AM

jt001 said:
If he's going to be getting anything he should just go for a new SATA drive, newer 7200RPM drives are quite a bit faster than what he likely has.

Also, it's always a good idea to reinstall Windows when you move to a new system, that's likely your issue.
Agreed, get a new SATA drive, no page file partition and lock the page file size to 4G

He did install windows on the drive when he initially installed it in the new machine, at least as far as I can see.
November 13, 2007 12:28:27 PM

I'm so sorry for never updating this thread. I've been meaning to but have been so busy. It took a reinstall of windows using only one partition to fix the problems. I tried all the little things first but none of it worked. It's strange that i had no DMA level on the HD when my system was broke. Now it's at mode 6. I'm also thinking that the reason everything ran slow was that the windows install froze for a few seconds during the original installation. A little mouse jiggle woke it back up. So during this installation i was jiggling that mouse the whole way through. :)  maybe it was the small swap partition that made it freeze, who knows..

But anyway, this setup is ridiculously fast and begs for abuse. The thing i can't get over is the temps. Probably similar to Mars' dark side.

I still have my HD and cd-rom on the IDE cable and the performance is more than great.

Again, thanks for the great help!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2009 10:16:12 PM

WOW!!!! Realy glad i dont need help. All these noobs around here might give me the wrong information. Like (:o H MY PC IS SLOW OH WELL SINCE YOUR USING SATA HDD AND ALL CHECK THE EIDE CABLE/S EVEN THOUGH YOU DONT HAVE ONE ON YOUR HDD OR ANYTHING:) . Look the way you install windows has nothing to do with it cause ITS IDIOT PROOF. Unless you start getting into RAID Controllers and stuff. But a simple duel drive set up isnt rocket science. Getting to the point if it was running realy slow a clean install didnt fix it. What ever wasn't working started working again. Wich is good go to the pc shoppe and get some heat sink grease and smear it on the top of your processor then put the heatsink/fan back on now check all your SATA Connection/s check that all the solder is well bonded on both the hard drive and mother board simply because you create somthing called a break joint if its loose it heats the metals up and kinda welds them together and it works but when the joint breaks it starts not working again also if your connecting components are a soft metal like brass or alluminum your gonna want to pick up some connector grease to prevent electrolisys (Electrical Corrosion) mine are 10 Carrot Gold Compliments of PCWorld and a soldering pen if you do this use no more then a 10 watt gund and make sure you use a heat sink clip cause heat breaks expensive stuff GOOD LUCK :-)
!