LCD monitor Choices?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Hi guys,

Im thinking about buying new display/s for my machine. But, im having a hard time working out what i should get. I currently run 2 x 19" Samsung 940B's on a 7900GT (looking to upgrade this soon also). Now im not sure if i want to get 2 x 22" wides or maybe just get one 24" to go with one of the 19" for the second screen. I mainly like the idea of the 24" because i can get the higher res 1920x1200 but they do come at a price.

Current choices

2x22" Wide either Samsung 226BW or Dell E228WFP

OR

1x 24" Wide Samsung 244T or Dell 2407WFP

Let me know of your thoughts and if there are any other brands i should be considering.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
The Dell is okay, the Samsung will look better but will have fairly bad input lag (no I don't mean response time) so don't buy that if you like shooters. LG makes a good 24" with no obvious flaws (good color, low lag, cheap, etc...)

I personally like Planar, Dell, LG, NEC, Eizo. I stay away from Acer and View Sonic they are currently making really big but low quality panels.

Samsung is such a shame. I love their stuff but their monitors delay what's being shown by a frame or two in order to do quality and overdrive processing.

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Hmm never have issues with my trusty Samsung 930B and I heart FSP games like Doom3, F.E.A.R, and others. Haven't seen any issues with it, so it must be the new stuff?

Just wondering, though, why you're replacing a perfectly good monitor or two aaaaand the video card?? I've been pretty happy with my 7900 running 2x19" Samsungs...

HPCE_Larry

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
Which ever size you decide on, go with the samsung monitor. They are very high quality, sport Dynamic contrast Ratio, and are excellent quality. I've been using their monitors for years and never had any issues. i've had none of the issues magicpants talks about. Perhaps his graphics card is not good enough to handle it, but i can't say.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Just wondering, though, why you're replacing a perfectly good monitor or two aaaaand the video card?? I've been pretty happy with my 7900 running 2x19" Samsungs...

They are still treating me well, i just find myself running out of desktop space, i constantly RDC to my servers which takes up more space.

I wont be updating the GPU just yet but when the new G92 comes to town is when ill be looking.

I dont play games all that much but when i do i want a nice high res screen to play them on. Hence why im leaning towards the 24" as it has a higher res than the 22" does and therefore more desktop space also.

spose i could always get another video card and run 3 or 4 monitors but that gets ugly and cluttered not to mention i think it would start to get a bit confusing. Haha that makes me think how nice a big 24" in the middle and a 19" either side would look though

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If you don't game, I don't see the point of the 24" over 2x22".

I use dual monitor for my productivity machines and have no clue how I would operate with a single console. Maximize docs/apps on one screen for reference and the other operates as a scratch pad.

Of course you could run 24" and 19" at the same time.

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Or you could keep those two 19"s and get another (3rd) with another video card? Or you could get a 22" Widescreen and another video card? Put the monitors in a 19"-22"-19" configuration.

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I just purchased the Dell 24" and have watched a great number of movies on it (don't know how into movies on the Pc you are) and they look fantastic. Also, I played through all of Max Payne 2 this weekend (quite a short game) and played a little bit of Ps2 on the composite input.

I a telling you this because I love this monitor and think it performs every task quite well. I don't know if it is better than the other 24" monitors available (though other reviewers seem to think it ranks quite high), but my experience is that it is fantastic.