OCing P35-DS3R help!

G

Ok guys I tried to start OCing my Q6600 tonight on my GA P35-DS3R. I was using Grasky's sticky guide here and found a guide just on DS3R's on another forum as reference. My goal is to eventually get up to an 8x multiplier and 400 FSB. This should give me 3.2Ghz and a 1:1 ratio with my DDR2-800 memory.

The problem is that every time I take my FSB off of auto and adjust the frequency, the computer fails to boot 3 times, then resets it to auto. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, if anyone could help out that'd be great. Thanks guys.

Also, my idle temps atm are 28-32C, and 46-49C load. So w/out any OCing my temps seem great. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong with the settings. I just don't know what. Thanks in advance.

honolululu

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Here's what I'd do. YMMV.

Set the ram timings to AUTO, set the Voltage Control to Manual.

Per graysky's guide:
CPU VCore This is key!

In case you're wondering what Intel recommends for your processor, find your chip on Intel's Processor Finder. The Q6600 is between 1.100V-1.372V

A good starting point is the upper end of that range. In my experience, a setting of auto ALWAYS over-estimates and thus over-volts. More on this later. For a Q6600, an initial setting of 1.37ish should be a good starting point.

I wouldn't go higher that +0.1v on the ram. If I found your ram it was 1.8v to 2.0v. Which would be +0.0v to +0.2v in the BIOS. Carefull though because it seems the p35c-ds3r will deliver 2.10v-2.13 at the +0.2v setting. It's what I'm and some people at that other site are experiencing. I'm running it with a e6750.

I do have to say it could be SpeedFan reading the voltages wrong, but the BIOS does back it up. At 0.3v what should be 2.1v on the ram is 2.23-2.26v in Speedfan and BIOS reports it as FAIL in the PC health screen. But my ram takes up to 2.2v. Anyhoo.

Good Luck. You might need to add 15 degrees to those temps. *shrug* He talks about it in the thread.

EDIT: Meant to mention that I realize you don't have the p35c, and for all I know you have kick ass cooling or a very cold room. :thumbsup:

G

Yes, I have already added 15 to those temps, that is what I'm actually running at. I guess its a combination of a decent job seating my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, luck of getting a G0 steeping quad, and luck of not having either the cpu or heatsin concave. I was pumped to find such low temps, but getting frustrated that I can't OC it properly.

I thought about updating my BIOS, but my thinking is what for? I have zero flaws with my computer at the moment, and my temps are great, I'm thinking updating the BIOS is only going to mess things up for me. Am I wrong about that?

You are close with my ram, it actually calls for 1.8-1.9V. I did try to set the timings to auto and I did try to set the vcore to 1.36875 and still failed to boot. I also found in a P35 guide to set it to like 1.45 which just seems ridiculous and I don't think I want to do that because as Grasky said, Intel says 1.1-1.372V.

I just don't know what else I could be doing wrong...

G

Ok I've been working with it all day. I managed to get it to 3.2 Ghz using a 400Mhz FSB and a multiplier of 8. I set my RAM timings to 5-5-5-15 (As they're rated) and I upped the voltage on the RAM +0.1 since they're specced for 1.8-1.9V.

I had it stable with the VCORE of 1.3875 and got load temps of 62C after stress testing for 30 mins. I have since lowered the VCORE to 1.325 and am stress testing w/out any errors (yet!). My load temp is now around 52-58C. Of course I have to wait and see if it remains stable at that VCORE, but I'm pretty happy with my results so far. 3.2Ghz on air with the Q6600 is pretty good if you can keep it below 60C correct?

Anyway here's a screenie of what I'm looking at. The one thing I'm unsure about is why Core-Temp is reporting that I'm running at 3.6Ghz, I'm guessing that's just a bug or something. It also idles around 33C.

Here's the pic:
http://picasaweb.google.com/deuce271/UntitledAlbum02/photo#5113089958634636722

G

Ok, after about 45 minutes of testing, I got an error and had to raise my VCORE to 1.3375. My load temps are still below 60C though and I think this is the magic number this time. If this survives a 12 hour test I am going to accept the system as stable and enjoy my Q6600 at 3.2 Ghz. :)

suzukidragracer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
deuce271

What DS3R reference thread are you using? I'm curious.
I've got a E2160 and DS3R and have just begun OC'ing.
Some of the BIOS features are a bit different....

Thanks!
Vince

G

Gigabyte P965-XXX overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide
located at [H]ard|Forum

Sorry I don't have the link, but this was the guide I used, helped a ton.

tommmm111

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
hi. pls, might i butt in for a sec? my p35-ds3r board fsb goes to 360 only? ever heard of this? pls help me, say if u think this could be 'just the way it goes.' i'm gonna dump this 6 month old board, cuz i can't find how to take my fsb past 360. i have e6320 cpu, and lowered the multiplier to 6, to find out the maximum fsb, but still only got 360. pls comment, it would mean the world 2 me. thanks, tom L.