Hi
I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my new
machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there fore
cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advanced for any help

Sue

GHOST can do several things with disks and paritions, including cloning and
making images. These are separate functions.

Cloning copies the whole disk (or partition) to another disk (or partition),
with the assumption that you will then take the cloned disk and make it the
new master disk. This is intended for moving to a larger internal hard
drive. Cloning creates no image file.

Imaging makes a file (or several files comprising a spanned image) of a
partition or an entire hard drive. The image is file of type *.GHO.
Spanned images consist of one *.GHO and several *.GHS files. Image file are
primarily intended for backups, but it is possible to image a hard drive,
then restore that image to a different hard drive.

By itself GHOST will not lead to a dual boot system. For that you need some
boot manager. For example, If 98 is on C:\, and you install XP on D:\, the
XP installer should place a couple of files on C:\ that cause a menu to be
shown to allow you to choose 98 or XP. LINUX installers do something
similar, but by a different means. Finally, there are several third-party
programs that can be used to control which operating system boots (e.g.,
Boot Magic, Boot It, GAG, etc).

One thing about dual boots: If you want all operating systems to see all
partitions, you must choose a common partition type. For 98+XP that would
be FAT32. 98 can not read/write NTFS, which is the default for XP. But, XP
can read/write both FAT32 and NTFS. The choice of partition type is made
early in the XP installation. If you accidentally pick NTFS, and later want
FAT32, you will need a third-party program like Partition Magic.

"sue Davies" <susan.davies1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my
> new
> machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
> programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
> external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there fore
> cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
> wrong.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
>
> Thanks in advanced for any help
>
> Sue

Hi
Thanks for all your help. Yes I have set up a dual boot system of XP & 98. I
have to say with all the titbits I have gleened from you all the process
that I forgot was to make a ghost boot disk, this I now have done and happy
to say now have my old comp running and my xp machine. Probably the way I
explained things made most of you to think I was trying to clone xp but that
was not the case. as I said before I have 3 copies of xp home so I would not
want any more.
Any thanks for all your help
regards sue