XP SP1 reinstall question

tecninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
I have what probably amounts to a stupid question, but I honestly can't recall. I've come across an old system that needs to have windows XP reinstalled, and I'm not sure what disk I'm going to require.

The System is an old Dell Dimension 4550, and had an install of Win XP pro SP1 installed on it, and has the sticker stuck to the side of it (with the serial).

My question is, before I wipe this thing, I want to make sure I have, or can get a Version of XP that will accept that particular serial when I do the reinstall. I'd hate to bring it down and then find that I can't get it to reinstall with its original XP Key.

I have access to pressed/original versions of oem/retail Windows XP SP2 for sure. I may have a version of SP1 somewhere, but I'm not even sure what type it was, I think it worked with Volume License keys (I'm assuming the actual CDs are different for VL OEM and Retail).

My question is, are newer versions such as XP Pro SP2, going to be aware of older serial keys?

Would XP SP3 work (I hear it doesn't ask for the key at the beginning but at the end), and if so is there a place where the ISO for XP SP3 is legitimately available?

I have a valid XP SP1 key, I just want to make sure I can get it back up after I wipe it. Thanks in advance.

saran008

Distinguished
Your system is a branded one, so it should be OEM version of XP sp1.

You have to search for the same OEM disc.

Once you get the disc install with XPSP1 and later you can download & install SP3 seperately.

Valid OEM cannot be used for retail versions of OS.

tecninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
The problem I anticipate is basically the impossibility of finding the exact version it wants to install off of.

The original disks/restore are long since lost, as its probably 6+ years old.

tecninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
OK, looking for someone to verify this for me.

I was told by someone that Any Dell OEM CD will rebuild a dell using the AoC key on the side, as long as it is the same version of Home/Pro/MCE

So according to them even though they system (and sticker) says Win XP Pro SP1, that the Dell OEM Win XP Pro SP3 disk should still be capable of reinstalling.

Anyone tried this and succeeded or failed?

tecninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
The Ctrl-F11 option isn't available on this PC. The Dell Dimension 4550 predates the June 2004 start date of that feature. The restore option for dells before that apparently was "have the restore disk"

I came across a Dell OEM Win XP Pro SP3 CD, which I think I'm going to give a try. From my somewhat confusing conversation with a Dell tech in online chat, it seems it should still take older keys as long as its for the same version of Home/Pro/MCE. We'll find out if he was lying to me soon.

saran008

Distinguished
Give it a try!
Backup all your data before starting!

Just try to check the serial in the sticker and the one installed in your pc are same. You can do this by

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

If it is not, you'll have one more genuine key other than the one on the sticker!

Hexonloire

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Yes they will work. Service pack version doesn't matter, what you want to pay attention to is whether it is Winxp retail, oem etc. Those types are important.

If not, I just tend to download a copy of the windows that I need to install that matches my key.