New computer old monitor not working

ElyS

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I just bought a new computer that's been built for me in advance so it should be working properly. Only thing it didn't have was Windows installed, planning to do that myself. But my problem is that this new computer does not seem to work with either of my old monitors, both are 17". One is really old IBM monitor (never really planned to use it anyway) and the other is a 17" HP v72 that came with my old computer when I bought it few years back. The old IBM gives me the No Signal treatment while the HP one doesn't do anything but remains black.

I've been trying everything I know, as I'm not really a computer wizard there's not much I can think of. One thing I heard is that my monitors are too small for my graphics card which is 8600gt, is that true? Should I just go and buy a new monitor.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
no, there is no such thing as "too small for a graphics card", and the 8600GT isnt exactly at the top of the graphics card list.

Check that your graphics card is seated in properly into its slot. Also make sure that it has a power cable attached (if it requires one). Make sure your monitor is connected to your pc.

Also give us the details of your current pc, including what components were used to make it (including the details of the PSU).

if possible try and connect the monitors to any other pc you may have and see if the fault is with the monitor or the graphics card.

Dont really know why just wanted to let you know that i have had a similar thing with a couple of monitors one wouldnt run at all and the other run but was constantly flickering swaped to original pcs and they ran fine (i was trying to check a friends base unit and figured i could use my monitor/keyboard etc)maybee some companies supply monitors that run a weird frequency or some thing to stop you getting a diff one?
Mactronix